Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Which BMW to get as the first luxury car?

Hello everyone!

I am so grateful to be posting here finally. We are a family of 7 including my grandmother. Our current garage cosists of (2017) Hyundai Creta diesel, (2017) Hyundai Verna petrol, (2018) Maruti Suzuki Baleno petrol and (2021) Tata Safari.

Creta is the daily driver for my father and me as the seating position is best for him and I love the torque of the diesel engine. My wife usually drives the baleno for her office commute which is 2 kms daily at max. Safari is used by my brother and me mostly as it is an automatic. Verna is the spare care at home which is used by my mother as per requirement. My parents both hate the high seating position in SUVs. We usually do not keep our cars for long and change within 3-5 years but not necessarily upgrade.

Our annual usage is 5-6k kms at max and mostly within city as everything is within the 5-6km range. Our highway usage increased after getting the Safari but only marginally.

I am the only car nut in the family. For everyone else any car would do as long as it gets them from point A to point B. It has taken years of cajoling to finally convince my family to finally get our first luxury german car.
Being an enthusiast and a sedan guy myself I showed my family the BMW range at the dealer showcase in our town. I am very certain that I want a BMW sedan only and will not consider other options.

We test drove the 330Li and the 620d. My elder brother liked the 6 series better and said that we could consider the 530i as well. I feel that we should stick to the 330Li only even though the 530i would be my dream machine! A little more pushing and we could also start looking at 530d but I don’t want to get too greedy!

My reasons for sticking with 330Li are:
1. Given that it is our first luxury car I do not want to get a more complexed and powerful machine with higher maintenance costs in the future.
2. Our low usage doesn’t really justify the stretch to a higher segment vehicle.
3. I do not want to unnecessarily increase the budget though the difference is not much.
4. 330Li is 70% the same car as a 530i.

I would like the thoughts and inputs of other BHPians on this conundrum.
ashish2135 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 17:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Which BMW to get as the first luxury car?

The 530i has much better interior quality in comparison to a 330Li. Also, the 530i is a much mature car, it’s more premium and is definitely worth an upgrade. The 530i is not a complex machine by any chance, and the power figures are lesser for the 530i as compared to a 330Li. And the maintenance costs also won’t change much. Remember one thing, the 5-series is one of the best cars in the world one can get, go ahead with the 5 as it’s your first luxury car, make it a special one.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:13   #3
BHPian

Dear Ashish2135,

You will not go wrong with either cars, both are great choices. While like NarediAni7518 mentioned, the 5 series is more premium car, and that too for not much more money, it's at the end of it's life cycle. Whereas the 3 just got it's mid life facelift (LCI) and will be around for a while. The LCI brings in the latest of gadgets, tech and styling. The 3, now is only available as a long wheelbase implying the legroom at the rear is not only class leading, but also more than the 5 possibly. I don't think the will be much between two in terms of ownership costs, but there might be some deals on the 5.

So, it boils down to what you want:

Pick the 3 series for space, latest model and tech, fun to drive (definitely not in same league as the regular wheelbase 3) without much of a compromise, except that you pay next segment money (you get an ES or A6 for similar money)

Pick the 5 series for a more premium experience (mature ride, refinement, better materials) but an outgoing model, might miss out on a couple of the latest gizmos.

Last edited by 316kmph : 14th February 2023 at 23:14.
316kmph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Hello everyone!

My reasons for sticking with 330Li are:
1. Given that it is our first luxury car I do not want to get a more complexed and powerful machine with higher maintenance costs in the future.
2. Our low usage doesn’t really justify the stretch to a higher segment vehicle.
3. I do not want to unnecessarily increase the budget though the difference is not much.
4. 330Li is 70% the same car as a 530i.

I would like the thoughts and inputs of other BHPians on this conundrum.
There is only a 10% price difference between the 330li and the 530i. You have already said the 5 series is 30% better than the 330li so why not pay 10% extra to get 30% more? Both of them use the same engine and gearbox so there is no huge increase in maintenance costs.

Also a 5 series will have better resale and is objectively a better car than a stretched out 3 series developed only for China and Indian markets.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 15:01   #5
BHPian

If affordability is not a criterion, go for the 530i, eyes closed.

The 330Li is a fantastic car, and a great first German sedan for anyone. However the difference in quality, materials & technology used is quite noticeable between the 2. For instance, the suspension is one area where the 5 is far ahead of the 3 - not only does it use the superior double wishbone suspension up front (unlike the McPherson struts in the 3), it also has adaptive dampers on all 4 corners which have a huge positive effect on both the ride & handling quality. Don't go just by the spec sheet - take a long test drive, spend some time in the interiors, and the differences will start to become more apparent. And for self-drive usage, while some 3 series owners may want to upgrade to a 5, most 5 series owners will never want to upgrade to a 7. So you'll save money in the long run if you don't get the itch to upgrade too quickly.

But again, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are fantastic cars and part of the core lineup from BMW - you'll enjoy whichever one you'll end up getting.

Last edited by d3mon : 15th February 2023 at 15:02.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 01:32   #6
BHPian

You haven't mentioned your budget.
The current 530i is definitely a car in different segment and I wouldn't really compare it directly with 3 series.
However, if 530i's budget is fine for you why haven't you considered the new M340i?
In my opinion, in the current lineup, M340i is the best you can get.
chaith.turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 07:42   #7
BHPian

Please go for the 5 series. I started my search for a luxury car with looking at the 320Ld and quickly ended up with a 520d (pre LCI). The present 5 series has a lot of features that are not present in the 3 series, adaptive suspension, sun blinds, display key, etc
Old 17th February 2023, 11:54   #8
BHPian

I have owned X1, 330i GT (pretty much the older model of the 330Li) and a M340i

Given the pricing of 330Li MSport, I would recommend 530i since you will likely get better discounts on the same over the 330Li. Dont bother about the LCI bit since the current 530i is the older model. I don't think LCI changes anything substantial.

330Li is going to be more roomy than the 5 Series but I think the adaptive suspension and refinement in the 5 series is definitely more. With the price difference being just 7L or lower with extra discounts on the 5 series, it is totally a better deal
mrugu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 00:57   #9
BHPian

530i definitely 2 steps ahead of 330i, ride comfort will be much better in 530i with adaptive dampers, 4 zone climate control, much better rear seat comfort, its much better option as the price difference is not much.
However, 530i is huge in size so maneuvering in crowded place, tight space is a task. Overall, I would recommend to go with 530i only.
Old 21st February 2023, 09:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Eyes closed, 530i. At the end of the day, a 5 is a 5.

A 530i with adaptive dampers is a more well rounded product than a 330i Gran Limousine, and much more practical than a M340i. Only issues are the overall bigger footprint and the longer wheelbase.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 15:55   #11
BHPian

As per the Ranchi & Kolkata dealer, 530i is out of production due to the upcoming BS6.2 rules.
They are suggesting to go for 520d M-sport if I want a 5 series or else the 330Li if I want a petrol engine.

Should i shift to the diesel 520 or stick with the petrol engine?
I am even more confused now and a bit disappointed about the 530i.
Old 21st February 2023, 15:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If legroom isn't a concern, the 530i is the way to go.
Interiors are better, and even the drive would be better than the softer 330Li and when seating 5 - the extra width would come in handy!

That being said, I would also advise checking out the Audi A6 as an all rounder family car. Unless you drive very enthusiastically, the A6 with it's similar performance, more legroom, and better interiors could be a good all rounder.
If you enjoying pushing the car, can even have a look at the C300D which is a newer generation and would hold it's value better, is a little quicker than the 530i in the 0-100 sprint, and has a lot more torque for those quick overtakes.

The E Class, 6GT, etc. feel a little too limo like behind the wheel; the S90 isn't really appealing when it comes to driving pleasure and beginning to feel a bit dated; the Lexus ES though a brilliant family car, isn't one for the enthusiast.

I would also appeal to hold on to these cars for longer. The way they are built, they will still seem fresh if taken care of 5 years down the line. Get maximum warranty and have a blast!
Old 7th March 2023, 08:49   #13
BANNED

the new 3gl definitely has a much modern cabin than the 5 series which is in its last phase of generation, so there are a lot of factors you need to evaluate.
- how much the badge value of 5 vs 3 matters to you?
- with the new 3gl there are a lot new tech & comfort features missing in 5, so are you ok to buy a car which is outdated at the time of purchase.

and if you could move out of sedans i would recommend the upcoming new gen x1.
this new x1 ticks all the boxes in terms of tech & luxury features (the longest list in bmw mid range line up) + has the much loved sportiness of bmw.
Old 7th March 2023, 15:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer11 View Post
this new x1 ticks all the boxes in terms of tech & luxury features (the longest list in bmw mid range line up) + has the much loved sportiness of bmw.
I am not sure if the new X1 has the engine to go with the sporty brand. Yes, the interiors will have a lot of tech and it is fresh out of the design studios of BMW, but I don't think the X1 is any comparison to a 530i. To me, 530i > 330Li > X1. Any day.
Old 12th March 2023, 08:49   #15
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have gone ahead and booked the 3GL, 330Li in Carbon black. Also added 5 year extended warranty (unlimited kms) and BSI plus.

I wanted to get the petrol engine so I couldn’t convince myself for the 520d. I didn’t try for any other brand since my dream of owning a BMW would have not let me be at peace.

Should arrive by next week. Will update with pictures soon.
ashish2135 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks