Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 06:21   #1
BHPian

Garage dilemma | Selling the BMW 530d M-Sport | What next?

Hi everyone.

This is the first and probably most confusing dilemma I have found myself in regarding my garage. Would love to resort to the forum to seek help.

Earlier, in July 2022, we sold our trust 2017 Mercedes C Class to an even more passionate individual, and for a price we could not refuse. In the bargain, we got home a 2014 530d M Sport for a great deal again.

Now, you and I both know the various reasons to opt for a 530d M Sport regardless of its age. It also takes not much for a common man to understand the same with time. However, my father didn't end up seeming to be one of them. The hasty decision while treating us well with its rewarding 6 Cylinder madness, is now starting to go downhill ever since I came to the Netherlands for my studies.

The primary user of the car - my father, is starting to show disappointment with the car every day with its age-related upkeep, and in my absence the issue is only amplifying. I always deterred him from the wild idea of selling it already, but not being there is making it sound unfair to me with every passing day, as at the end of the day, he is the one that needs to drive it, and maintain it.

Also just like many other luxury car users here, my car is a garage queen. Not by my choice, but just because we have a trusty Seltos and ZS EV to take on day-to-day jobs.

Moreover, my dad (in his 50s) being a sucker for luxury always misses his C-Class for reasons being that,
1. It was his first luxury car, and he drove it out of the showroom as fresh as ever.
2. While the C-Class was a 2017 car, buying a 2014 model as a replacement was a hard pill for him to swallow either way.
3. He misses the sense of opulence (wooden centre console, ambient lighting, fresher interiors) that the C offered as compared to the 5.

His mindset is that, for 3 mindblowingly fast outstation trips a year, he didn't want to spend the rest of it in resentment.

As the devil's advocate as well, I do not find it fair for him to not enjoy his luxury barge no matter how much substance it might have.

So, I decided to tell him to go ahead with selling it if he likes so.

Since there was no need to hypothecate the 5 Series, any price it is sold at will not incur any losses in foreclosures or any of that. That being said, the 5 was meant to be a sheer stop-gap between his C and his next brand new luxury barge in 2-3 years (2024/5).

But with the given circumstance, I have narrowed down to a few options for the next step in the course of action (In no order of preference)

1. Opt for a 2018/19 E-Class - There are a few E220ds going for mouthwatering prices by Shaman, and overall in the pre-owned market. The difference in price will be hypothecated. Today while suggesting, he was pretty content with the idea. He misses the sense of opulence a Mercedes offered, and says that he anyways had a 2017 C, so a 2018/19 E wouldn't be too bad a choice. But since the difference would be hypothecated, the car will be here to stay for a while, waving goodbye to the larger purchase plans in the near future

2. Buy a brand new Skoda Superb - Dad loved this car from the get-go. In-fact, it was a very realistic purchase even when the C-Class was being sold. Much easier on the maintenance front, 70% of the luxury of the 5 (Dad is mostly chauffeur driven in his luxury cars), brand new car. Only downside would be the Merc/BMW to Skoda transition (which matters to him), and the fact that being a brand new car, it would be here to stay for a while, shattering the plans for a bigger upgrade in 2024/25. The difference in price will be hypothecated.

3. Sell the 5, wait till we can buy something on the same lines, brand new.
Downside : ZS is a strict city car, and I'm not sure how much to rely on the Seltos for everything else (Taking the 5's place is not easy for longer drives, and overall lacking the ownership of a luxury car after 6 years of owning one).

4. Keep the 5. Spend on its upkeep once and for all.
However, this only solves part of the problem - the mental block of a 2014 car still makes a difference, and I don't know how far the money spent would do justice, and for how long.

If it was a car for me, and it was my money, I would go for the last option hands down. It's part and parcel of owning an exotic of that kind. But in my absence, I don't find it fair to impose the same on my dad who likes to have his cake and eat it too, instead of sitting in the car with a mental block.

I want your suggestions as far as possible. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Arnav612 : 23rd February 2023 at 06:29.
Arnav612 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 07:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Garage dilemma | Selling the BMW 530d M-Sport | What next?

Don’t go for the Superb. The car is soon going to be discontinued and is not E20 compliant anyway. Your father is clearly not happy with the 5, so it needs to go.

The most reasonable approach is option 1 - sell the 5 for a pre owned E. But do make sure it is a post 2020 BS6 model. I will never suggest buying a German that is 5 years old already. Regardless, I hope you are considering diesels only. Do not go for any pre owned petrol car unless it explicitly states that it is E20 compliant.

However, if all your father wants is a cabin that looks and feels premium and a car that is well suited to highway drives, as him to check out the Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson. He might just find his car without having to break the bank. Compared to your old 5, these cabins are much more modern and feel plush and inviting. Both these cars will be a lot more practical and easier to like with than a pre owned 5 year old E. And then, a new car is a new car.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 23rd February 2023 at 07:14.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 07:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Having experienced the 530D, I believe what your dad is missing more than anything else is interior space. Externally, the 5 is quite a long car, but it hardly translates to acceptable amounts of interior space. In terms of the cabin, I don't find much of a delta between the W205 and F10 in terms of quality of materials. In terms of design, yes, the F10 lags behind and understandably. We are essentially comparing cars almost half a decade apart.

The Skoda Superb is something I would rule out. All said and done, you have been owning cars from the big three for quite some time. Going for a Skoda now will be a downgrade in terms of the badge. One advantage is the fact that a brand new Superb won't hit you with big bills atleast for the first 3-4 years of ownership.

Keeping the 5 is also not an option. The inherent flaws of the car are showing up and there's no real advantage in prolonging the pain. Running repairs such as the suspension, engine mounts etc will pop up now and then moving forward. She's 8 years old now.

The best option as you suggested is a pre-owned E220D. Get a later car with all the bells and whistles and warranty if possible. The E has much better rear seat space, better looking interiors and also rides better than the 5 from a passenger perspective in my opinion. Your dad won't have any issues even if he wants to be chauffeur driven.

I see 2018-2019 used Es going for around 40-50L. If you want the previous generation, it's significantly cheaper at around 30-35L for 2014-2016 cars but there will be no warranty and running repairs won't be too far. Make a decision accordingly.

It's good that you have come to a decision regarding the 5. In the end, outright power and handling are not the only things that define what a car is. There are a lot of other factors. And some of these "other" factors are where you can fault the F10 easily.
vishy76 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your 530d is now 9-years old and there will always be age-related maintenance requirements. These cars age very well though & can be kept in top shape. But if the Dad is unhappy, the Dad is unhappy. Best to sell it off while you still get some money for it.

I would suggest a pre-owned E-Class (since the man clearly loves his Mercedes) , the new C-Class which is really what the E-Class was 10 years ago (if budget isn't a constraint) or a pre-owned GLC / GLE. Old man might appreciate the higher seating.

IMHO, he will be happy only with a Mercedes.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Garage dilemma | Selling the BMW 530d M-Sport | What next?

To keep it short, it seems a better option will be to sell the 5 based on how you describe your fathers irritation. Now is a sellers market, so you may get a good price currently too.

Since you are looking at the E class, why not find an E350? It will give some added refinement and fun with the 6 cylinder. Also the 9 speed gearbox will be better than the 7 speed on the 2017 C you had, and be reasonably fun to drive when you want. The only downside (if at all) is airmatic costs when they come up for replacement.
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

The petrol E class is really boring to drive and I’m loathe to suggest diesels anymore if there is a better alternative.

In that context, how about considering a new or sparingly used Lexus ES 300 as the replacement. Its reliable, luxurious, exclusive, and while nothing in that list is 530D driving pleasure, compared to the options you’re considering, the Lexus will hold its own if not be better to drive, petrol hybrid means you’re future proof on the tech front and its a luxury car that he can own for a decade and more at a very reasonable (in luxury segment terms) cost of ownership.
Axe77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Going a bit off-course, why not consider a new Camry Hybrid? It’s even more understated than the Superb…

The new generation model is an excellent all-rounder! The space on offer, the refinement due to it running as a hybrid most of the times, high speed mannerisms and safety are nothing short of German levels!

But not everyone likes the Toyota when it comes to badge value, then the pre-owned E-Class doesn’t look like a bad option. I wouldn’t consider the E200. Out of the E220d and E350d, I would choose the E350d for the creamy V6, although the E350d is rare to come by in the used car market.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd February 2023 at 12:42.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Moreover, my dad (in his 50s) being a sucker for luxury always misses his C-Class for reasons being that
Out of the choices, option #1 would not be recommended, as you would probably get only a fraction of the cost of the desired E, by selling the 5. I personally don't think it is a good financial decision to buy a used car with a lot of loan money, it becomes so much more expensive when you include the high interest rates on used cars/personal loans. Add to it, the uncertainties with no warranty and wear & tear and it becomes a slightly risky proposition as a pre-owned E will still cost a lot on maintenance in a couple of years around the 7-8 year mark. So you are only postponing the problem with a loan.

Option #2 is your personal call. A car that is discontinued, from a manufacturer that has not-so-great ASS and of course, is just about German, so your dad may not be happy with it.

Option #3 would be my choice. In today's market leverage the best price for your 5, save up and wait for market/prices to correct - negotiate a good buyback and finance scheme with Mercedes and buy a new E.

Option #4 is again not recommended because your car will only have more problems from here and will continue to depreciate.

If your dad is not happy with the BMW F10 interiors, chances are he won't be happy with Japanese interiors. I personally believe their interiors are made to last, but not quite as luxurious as the Europeans. Quality of interiors, especially plastic and leather will be a deal breaker for him. Good luck with your decision!
HighRevving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to echo GTO here and say your dad sounds like he misses the luxe Mercedes experience more than anything, hence he should just look at a pre-owned E class or the latest gen C class. Both of them almost guarantee he'll be a happy camper. I would steer clear of any other marques, German or Japanese. Axe's suggestion of a Lexus is a great one, but I sense daddy cool has only three-pointed stars in his eyes. Happy shopping!
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 09:15   #10
BHPian

Either trade it right now for current gen C Class, or just before the V214 comes in pick up the V213 E class at some discount hopefully. Don’t go in for a pre owned, all the talk for Value for money and depreciation, your dad bought a brand new C, and he deserves to drive a brand new Mercedes with full peace of mind, and the thrill of a new vehicle is always special, as GTO has said the current C is pretty special, in the long run, a long warranty, reasonable costs , and badge value are unbeatable, he got the 530d because I’m sure the enthusiasts in you wanted however as you rightly said , he deserves what he likes, and a Mercedes is a Mercedes, period, having daily driven the F10 530d to w212 E200 and now the G30 530i (in that order), as much as I love the G30, the W212 has things which neither matches, hidden luxury, just sit on it’s throne like seats and feel the difference on a long journey, the felt lines, amongst others , Pull the trigger and exchange with a Mercedes dealership near yours for even more convenience. (I always prefer this, no seperate transactions, paper work, headaches, exchange bonus etc)
On the reliability front my W212 is 9 years old now and is brilliant, just came back from the 50000 service and I’ve been driving it since then, and it’s silky smooth, been super reliable, only one radiator failure after 5 years (50% taken care by Mercedes under goodwill), and the vehicle had been flawless so I vouch the reliability, more so than BMW, my F10 had a sunroof rail water leak (like most F10s, it is not acceptable), the rear boot spring also (like most F10s), though no issues whatsoever with the drive terrain or basics such things are not acceptable in a 75Lakh Rupee car, these things don’t happen in the W212 (touchwood)

Last edited by np23 : 25th February 2023 at 09:22. Reason: Typographical errors
np23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

The problem is simple. The 530d is a driver's car and your father is the chauffeur driven type. It may have been the right car for you but it is the wrong car for him. An E-class LWB is definitely the way to go. Get a pre-facelift 2020 e220d with the full driver+center digital screen and soft close doors. Most importantly, it comes with completely electrical adjustable rear seats with memory, making it obvious that this car is meant for people like your dad who want to travel in the backseat in comfort. It also comes with ambient lighting and panaromic sunroof and other gizmos that the 530d doesn't have and that your dad will definitely appreciate. It's also bs6 compliant diesel so it should be futureproof.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 15:20   #12
BHPian

I think your Dad is a Mercedes fan boy and it seems that he is not able to part ways with his beloved Mercedes. I think going for a pre-owned E class (not older than 5-6 years) would be a good option. But as you stated that there are big purchase plans in the near future, and also assuming that the purchase in 2024 would be a substantial upgrade like say an S class or something of that sorts, I think keeping the 5 is the best decision but if your Dad is adamant that the 5 needs to be replaced now the pre-owned E class route is the best option.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th February 2023 at 18:40. Reason: Minor typo.
Drivaholic@2727 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Might be worth considering a 3 series extended wheelbase. The new facelift model is just out and will remain fresh for a while. The rear seat room is great due to the extended wheelbase and will be very comfortable for the chauffeur driven. The MSport trim, which is the only one the car is available with now, looks and feels premium with the new massive dual touchscreen, panoramic sunroof, metallic mesh like trim that looks quite premium.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 22:57   #14

What a nice problem to have! I wish my son comes up with such a post 20 years down the line due to my rants
FiFo_ is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 22:24   #15
BHPian

I asked the executive at a nearby Škoda showroom to confirm if the Octavia and Superb is getting discontinued by April and his answer was a resounding NO. He says the cars are already E20 compliant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks