Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 15:10   #1

Need advice on a Used BMW Z4 (E89)

First post alert !!!
Hello Team-bhpians,
I had been looking to buy either Slk or Z4 for some time now. My must have requirements were GJ registered and first owner with bugdet of 30-40 lakhs.
After having discarded 1 slk and 2 Z4 for various other reasons, I recently come across one at used car dealer in Surat worth consideration.
It’s 2014 model (E89) DPT variant with 20km on it. Have already received service history and also verified it with dealership where first owner used to service it. Got copy of insurance which showed 50% NCB and also got it verified through my insurance agent. Took test drive in Surat and it drives nicely. Tried comfort and sport+ mode both. Checked out roof opening and closing multiple times. Cold started immediately on first push of ‘start/stop’ button. One concern is, while test drive in Sport+ mode I noticed alert on screen that said ‘Engine failure reduced speed’ which went away after I stopped the car and switch to comfort mode after turning off the engine. Mechanic that I know tells me that some BWM are known to have this issue in sports+ mode specially when they are not driven regularly. Wanted to get 360 deg checkup from BMW however dealer wants to finalised deal first.
That’s were I am stuck right now. Dealer asking price was 44lacs and I, based on orange book value in Gujarat, am willing to pay 38lacs. He has come down to 40.21lacs but not budging any further. Since this my first used car buying attempt in India, not sure if I should stick to my price based on orange book value or give in to dealer’s demand. Please advise.
Moreover, I wanted to get BMW 360 checkup done before finalising the deal. Please advise if BMW 360 checkup from BMW is worth paying 16.5k or should I just get it check by local mechanic I know.
Has any BMW owner here experienced alert in sport+ I mentioned above? If so, how seriously should I take it?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on a Used BMW Z4 (E89)-fullsizerender.jpeg  

KPenthu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 16:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need advice on a Used BMW Z4 (E89)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPenthu View Post
One concern is, while test drive in Sport+ mode I noticed alert on screen that said ‘Engine failure reduced speed’ which went away after I stopped the car and switch to comfort mode after turning off the engine.

Wanted to get 360 deg checkup from BMW however dealer wants to finalised deal first.
The usual system is, you can pay the dealer a small token to show your seriousness. Say, 10K, and then have the car sent to the BMW workshop. If it passes the test, then pay the balance. If not, an ethical dealer will give you back the 10k. But many won't, so be prepared to write it off.

The last time I bought a pre-owned German, the dealership could sense my seriousness and didn't need a token before his driver took the car to the BMW workshop. I ended up buying the car.

This Z4 is giving a very serious iDrive error. It could be a sensor, it could be something major. Going ahead with the deal without a PPI would be akin to riding a motorcycle on a public road blindfolded. Don't do it.

For your safety & happiness, follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) to the T.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 17:22   #3

Quote:
The usual system is, you can pay the dealer a small token to show your seriousness. Say, 10K, and then have the car sent to the BMW workshop. If it passes the test, then pay the balance. If not, an ethical dealer will give you back the 10k. But many won't, so be prepared to write it off.
Dealer wants to finalised on price first before even taking token to send for further checkup to BMW workshop. That’s where we are stuck as price difference is around 2lacs.

Quote:
This Z4 is giving a very serious iDrive error. It could be a sensor, it could be something major. Going ahead with the deal without a PPI would be akin to riding a motorcycle on a public road blindfolded. Don't do it.
Yes, I too am concerned about it even though local mechanic says it’s nothing to worry as he has seen similar alert in 7 series bmw. Will definitely not go ahead with the deal without getting convincing response from bmw workshop.

Quote:
For your safety & happiness, follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) to the T.
Yes I have gone through it and it’s very helpful.
Old 17th June 2023, 17:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dealer wants to finalised on price first before even taking token to send for further checkup to BMW workshop.
Makes sense as far as Dealer is concerned. You need to close the deal first. Personally, I will do the same with some advance and a full guarantee to return the same if there is any defect found in the check.

Quote:
That’s where we are stuck as price difference is around 2lacs.
I find even 40 Lac too high given the fact that it would have cost around 60-70 Lac in 2014 and everything from interiors to functionality is a decade old. The exterior looks nice as it's sort of timeless. I think you are buying mostly because of looks. The new Z4 is over 1 Cr now, so will be a stretch but if you need something purely from driving prospects, I will consider a newer model or M340. There are some excellent schemes from BMW where you can pay a larger amount or return the car at the end of the period to BMW. These are useful for someone who wants to restrict monthly outflow and expects some improvement in earnings in the next few years.

Another option will be to look at some of the 718 (Boxter/ Spyder). If you are lucky, you may find one, albeit a little expensive but will be worth the increase. It will be miles ahead on the handling and that gearbox on Porsche is sick If I am not mistaken, you can buy an extended warranty from Porsche too after the check. May depend on the age. Also, Porsche won't have a very different interior or audio/ etc. on 718 of today.

Quote:
Yes, I too am concerned about it even though local mechanic says it’s nothing to worry as he has seen similar alert in 7 series BMW.
I won't trust the local guy. 360 Degrees is very exhaustive. I think you should convince the dealer to charge 10K. You can promise to get the car serviced by them if you buy it.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2023 at 17:35.
Turbanator is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 17:44   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@KPenthu
You’re a person of fine taste and discernment very clearly because indeed that Orange Z4 looks superlicious. And I also like you, LOVE hardtop convertibles like this and the SLK!
I am 100% behind you insofar as to admit it is so so easy to get carried away by the heart and then just plonk money and buy.
But I will definitely advise caution because of the serious error you are already noticing. Best hold off until at least the Dealer Workshop checks the car thoroughly and rules out major headaches or confirms that such headaches exist.
Be prudent just a little. Follow what both GTO and Turbanator said.
There is another friend on the forum who bought an 118d from Daman literally on ‘trust’ and now he seems to be undergoing a fair amount of headaches getting the car back to top condition.
Keep in mind the old saying Caveat Emptor.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 17:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I won't comment on the pricing aspect but highly recommend an official check by BMW with a formal report delivered to you.

A casual Google search reveals a bunch of minor causes (weak battery) all the way up to serious stuff!
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...+reduced+speed
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 18:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@KPenthu
I am 100% behind you insofar as to admit it is so so easy to get carried away by the heart and then just plonk money and buy.
But I will definitely advise caution because of the serious error you are already noticing. Best hold off until at least the Dealer Workshop checks the car thoroughly and rules out major headaches or confirms that such headaches exist.
Be prudent just a little. Follow what both GTO and Turbanator said..
Yes I absolutely fell in love over this car when I saw it front of me and even more when I drove it for almost half an hour. But still as you say I need to have patience and get throughly checked out by BMW. No way I am taking that error lightly even if disappeared later.
KPenthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 18:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One concern is, while test drive in Sport+ mode I noticed alert on screen that said ‘Engine failure reduced speed’ which went away after I stopped the car and switch to comfort mode after turning off the engine.
Welcome to the forum!

All I can offer is my anecdotal experience. In all my years owning a BMW, it has NEVER thrown this error in Sports plus. Not once. Of course, mine is used regularly, but even so, it is not a good sign, frankly.

Quote:
Mechanic that I know tells me that some BMWs are known to have this issue in sports+ mode specially when they are not driven regularly.
I don’t buy this argument, I have honestly not heard of it happening on any BMW I know of.

Quote:
Wanted to get 360 deg checkup from BMW however dealer wants to finalised deal first.
I could be wrong, but the dealer could know the car is a bit problematic and is hence pushing to close the price first.

It’s not like he’ll have a huge pool of buyers for a car like this in GJ. My advice: walk away, and do what Turbanator suggested: look for Porsches instead.

Quote:
Please advise if BMW 360 checkup from BMW is worth paying 16.5k or should I just get it check by local mechanic I know.
It’s absolutely worth it if you are looking to pick up this car.

Quote:
Has any BMW owner here experienced alert in sport+ I mentioned above? If so, how seriously should I take it?
I personally haven’t done so, and I would take it seriously. You should too. My advice: walk away from this car. It’s overpriced as it is for the reasons Turbanator laid out.
iliketurtles is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 02:37   #9

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Moreover, I wanted to get BMW 360 checkup done before finalising the deal. Please advise if BMW 360 checkup from BMW is worth paying 16.5k or should I just get it check by local mechanic I know.
You should get the 360 Checkup done from BMW as i have availed this service before, A good rapport with the advisors would do you well as they would give you their honest advice about the car along with the report including pricing and whatever that might have transpired regarding the car previously

Quote:
That’s were I am stuck right now. Dealer asking price was 44lacs and I, based on orange book value in Gujarat, am willing to pay 38lacs. He has come down to 40.21lacs but not budging any further. Since this my first used car buying attempt in India, not sure if I should stick to my price based on orange book value or give in to dealer’s demand. Please advise.
Regarding the value of the car, It comes down to what you are willing to pay, However as several members have suggested, it is on the higher side. For Reference, I had bought a Z4 for 60% of the price quoted to you, Drove it for a year and then sold it for t 10% less for what i had paid. I think Market Dynamics are different in the West, But down here in the South, this is what it is.

Quote:
Stand your ground and ask them to get it checked.

Quote:
One concern is, while test drive in Sport+ mode I noticed alert on screen that said ‘Engine failure reduced speed’ which went away after I stopped the car and switch to comfort mode after turning off the engine. Mechanic that I know tells me that some BWM are known to have this issue in sports+ mode
This is a serious error, It could be a lot of things that might have prompted the error, In all my years driving a BMW, I have never got this error but checking with a Technician, he sounds weary of it. I would advice you get it checked through the 360 package and confirm what could be causing it.

All in All, A Z4 is a good car to have as a first car in the Upper Segment and also as a Trail before you get into the big Leagues, Get it Checked and if your heart says go for it, Go for it.
khan12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 18:13   #10
BHPian

Hi i'm little late to this post. I own an E89 Z4, purchased 6 years ago pre owned. Coming from experience, please check everything from official Bmw. Engine failure error can come from multitude of issues, ranging from a basic sensor issue to engine misfire and wastegate rattle. There are specific known issues with N54 engine though they are very reliable.
local FNG OBD scanners might not pick up all the error codes.
make sure you inspect all the wheels, especially the inner thread. check alloys for bends as these came with bridgestone potenza run-flats which where horrible in our roads.
40 lakhs is insane for a 9 year old BMW. Its superb to drive and the straight 6 with an open exhaust is brilliant, but the expenses it carries is bit too much. Stretching my budget to Pre owned M340i would be my choice in 2023. Carries the same updated engine, better interiors, almost same maintenance. Lack of carplay in Z4 is a pain. iDrive is very outdated .
Straight6_N54 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Here's a simple solution

Fix up the price with the dealer. Tell him/ her, deal is subject to satisfactory report from bmw check & no major exps OR he/she pays the next full service / fixing cost based on the bmw check. If not to your liking, you reserve the right to walk away.

Ideally, since you're spending on the bmw check, don't pay any token to dealer.
Old 24th June 2023, 15:10   #12
BHPian

I came across this ad on Instagram, and it reminded of this thread. The car looks mint, is from Guajrat, might be worth a look.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct3RF9WP...BiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Hope this is helpful and good luck on your car hunt, patience is key.
ibisbrew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 23:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
I came across this ad on Instagram, and it reminded of this thread. The car looks mint, is from Guajrat, might be worth a look.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct3RF9WP...BiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Hope this is helpful and good luck on your car hunt, patience is key.
Yes I know this used car dealer in Ahmedabad. He did call me on Monday regarding this car. I am waiting him to share details before I take it further.
Thanks for sharing this on this thread
KPenthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 15:03   #14
BHPian

Why would you even think of purchasing an expensive BMW that is throwing up a serious error like that??
Old 30th June 2023, 16:01   #15

After reading everyone’s view, I decided to let go of this one. Though the car was beautiful there was high risk as most of you had pointed out.
Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks