Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Buying a new BMW Z4 in 2023

Hi Friends,

I'm planning to change my current 520d to something more fun. I have been eyeing the Z4 since possibly 10 years. First it was beyond my reach. When I bought the 520d - I was more keen on buying a daily ride as it was my first luxury car. But now I'm really thinking of a roadster. I saw that BMW has refreshed its Z4. My heart still goes out to it. I want to know is that still a good choice in 2023 / 24 (its been around for sometime) and if it's practical on Indian highways (I even had trouble with speed bumps near Hampi in a 5 series). Anything else I should be aware of? I live in Mumbai if that matters.
tictactoe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 07:01   #2
BANNED

re: Buying a new BMW Z4 in 2023

Hi @tictactoe, The Z4 is a beast of a machine, yet very impractical. Are you a family of 2? Yes, go for it. Are you a family of 3/4? Retain the 520D and buy the Z4 (if pocket is not torn). Do you want something sexy but practical? Take the BMW M340i.

I'd actually say, used car market is on fire now, check in regularly and you will get some beastly deals. Follow TeamBHP's used car checklist and you are good to go.

If you just want to spruce up your 520D, try tuning it or adding a custom exhaust, something like that. You can even do a lateral upgrade as specified by GTO.

Links:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-car-less.html (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$))
mgastor2022grey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 10:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a new BMW Z4 in 2023

If you love the Z4 since 10 years, go for it . Quick, fun, usable, backed by BMW's reliability & service network. Also consider the Audi RS5 which is fast & more practical.

Personally, if I'm spending so much money, I prefer pre-worshipped cars as most of them suffer rapid depreciation. Something like a used M3 or M4, Boxster / Cayman, 911 etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 10:49   #4

Getting that itch for a new car again are we... awesome feeling that is.. You will have to give a few more details to be able to help on this conundrum.

Will you be letting go of the 520D? What else is there in your garage?

What will this car be primarily used for and how often? How many passengers and what luggage capacity?

Are you aware of the low GC and it's implications - can you live with it?

And there are a few ownership threads of the Z4 on the forum, go through them to understand the livability factor with something that exotic.. happy hunting..
Old 19th August 2023, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Thanks. We are just a family of two. So seating is not a problem. My usage is typically two to three long drive a year (approx 2k km per drive) and couple of shorter ones (700km).

The low GC has been playing on my mind for some and I have some serious concerns about being able to drive the car on the above mentioned drive. I'm not the person to choose the drive based on the car and would find that highly restrictive.
tictactoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 21:40   #6

Hey @tictactoe.

I can't offer you very constructive advice, I have no real knowledge of luxury cars.
What I can talk about, is my admiration of the Z4.
Ever since I first heard about this car, many moons ago, it's been on my mind. A convertible, 2 door roadster, makes no practical sense.
I remember seeing this on delhi roads, and following it around in my humble bicycle, in hope of owing it one day.
But man, it moves the heart. The sheer beauty makes this car so desirable.
To add to that, an amazing engine and great support from the BMW badge.
I hope you listen to your heart and get one!
Cheers!
slowyogaman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 22:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
The low GC has been playing on my mind for some and I have some serious concerns about being able to drive the car on the above mentioned drive.
The ground clearance is 114 mm, I'm sure you already know this. I don't know how practical it is in India, but it is one heck of a car. In my opinion you need a minimum of 140-160 mm to be somewhat safe on our roads, ideally 170mm or higher.

One thing in BMW Z4's favor though is its relatively short wheelbase, i.e. around the same as a Maruti Swift, so you can get around things with a bit of planning and maneuvering, but 114 mm is still very low for our country.

It is also the cheapest convertible/coupe (excluding sedan/SUV based models) you can buy in India, buy quite some margin. The next cheapest one is Jaguar F type, which is 100 mm. So there you go.

There are rent-a-car companies in Mumbai where you can rent luxury cars, even a Z4 or something similar. Rent one for a few days, drive it around and then decide.

Also, if you have the money, its relatively spare change for you, and have a 2nd car to do the errands, by all means, go for it and live your dreams, otherwise think twice. Good luck!
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 15:10   #8

@tictactoe I've been looking at the Z4 for a while now and have the same Q's you do.
The Z4 and the SLK are the only cars I've ever seen that made my heart beat a little faster.

So my looking at the SLK led me to the Z4 and then led me down the rabbit hole of 'sporty' cars in India ... the Jaguar F, the Audi S5, BMW M2 ... the hopefully upcoming CLE coupe.

I just turned 50, and this (whatever) will be the first car I ever buy, all my life I've just driven whats been there at home!

Not to hijack your thread in the least, but really hoping that more folk weigh in!
amiamit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks