Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 19:36   #1
BHPian

Replacing a BMW 328i (F30) | Volvo C40 vs the rest

Hello everyone!

First and foremost a huge thanks to all the stalwarts of team-bhp. Have been a silent consumer of all the forum discussions, very happy to finally join this amazing community.

Background

I have been a car enthusiast since my father got home a standard 2000 home. A black beauty which was our pride and joy. Fast forward a couple of decades and got the chance to buy my very first car at University. Found a stunning 2008 Mazda rx8. The rotary engine and the sportscar agility were leagues ahead of anything I had experienced until then. I kept it for 3 years before I returned home. I again started looking for a car in 2014 after spending a few years just using available cars in the family out of which the duster and dad's Laura stood out. These cars were good but something about a rwd setup that is fascinating. Fwd is just wrong in feel, regardless of the power output. Imagine if someone pulled you on a swing instead of pushing you. Cutting short, I narrowed down on the f30 328i after some deliberation. It is the ideal car for a young enthusiast and I was lucky to be in a position to get one. The only one registered in my diesel dominated state. Rwd, red color, m performance accessories, bmw quality. It was perfect. The car still serves me after 9 long years. It's been a joy and I have taken it places even a creta would not dare tread. Now I wish to replace the car with another.

Requirements

1. Rear Wheel Drive - I want a rwd or rear biased AWD setup only. Call it a bug in my head but I can't have it another way.
2. Reliable - I like dependability. The bmw was surprisingly good on this front. Father owned a Jaguar xf which was the complete opposite, so no jlr ever for me. This factor makes me curious about electric options because of fewer parts and general reliability.
3. Fast - I am spoilt by the rx8 and 328i experiences. Although I drive sedately 90% of the time, knowing that I can make an overtake whenever I want is something that is desirable.
4. Value for money - not everything expensive is overpriced. My budget is loosely defined. Anywhere from 40L otr to 80L otr. But I do not wish to overpay for the vehicle I get.

Usage will be mostly in the city. Occasional jaunts from Jaipur to Delhi. Should fit a family of 4.

The above list is also my criteria order of preference. The cars I have explored so far are mentioned below with their perceived pros and cons:

Options

1. BMW M340i - rwd biased awd, fast, and value for money. But reliability and dependability are still unknowns in the long run.
2. Hyundai ioniq 5 - rwd, value for money. But not fast enough.
3. Kia ev6 awd - rwd biased awd, fast but not vfm after knowing the price of its sister ioniq 5.
4. Volvo c40 - rwd biased awd, fast, reliable brand. Vfm is something I'm not sure of as it is based on a much older platform than the Korean twins. Ex30 around the corner.
5. Mercedes gla35 amg - fast but not rwd and vfm I guess.
6. Bmw i4 - rwd, fast, vfm considering the brand but not available for now.

Please suggest any thing I'm missing out on. I feel EV will allow me to hold the car longer as I generally keep them for 5+ years with low cost of ownership. Range is not a big concern beyond 300kms real world. I'm ambivalent to sedan vs crossover. I saw another thread on someone going ahead with the Volvo c40 in a similar predicament. All the help is much appreciated.
nmn.070 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacing a BMW 328i (F30) | Volvo C40 vs the rest

Hi there. I appreciate the quandary you're in, it's one I'm sure quite a few have on this forum and beyond, with most going for the M340i.

My advice to you would be to try and get an extended test drive of the 340i, see how it handles the wonderfully rutted and pockmarked roads of your area. Those tyres (especially runflats) can easily give way thanks to the low profile nature of it, and the ground clearance isn't much to write home about either, which becomes maybe even more of a concern with 4 aboard. Those factors, plus (IMO) the sub-par sound system (compare it to the Burmester in the A and C Class) and questionable interior quality (feel the interior plastics below your waistline, in the door bins etc.) should make you question if you really want to spend 80 big ones on it. That engine is unmatched at that price, but walk in with eyes wide open. If that amazing engine blinds you to its faults, so be it.

From your shortlist, I would knock off the Ioniq 5, for the same reasons you mentioned. However, I would persist with checking out the EV6. It has a very well-balanced ride and handling for what it is (a proper 5 seater family crossover/wagon), with ride quality I would put at par with a 5 series. The issues with the EV6 are similar to the ones on the 340i; poor interior quality for the price point, and a mediocre sound system. But it rides beautifully compared to the 340i and is properly fast.

I would also eliminate the Volvo's from your list. Being fast does not equal fun, the C40 is tuned for families, not thrill seekers. I would also encourage you to travel with 4 in the car and check it out, that sloping rear roof could be problematic for rear passengers on long drives.

Above all, I would highly encourage you to revisit the GLA35. It's not VFM for sure, but it honestly is fun and fast, with superb interiors and a fantastic sound system. Take a test drive and keep an eye on these two factors, you'd be surprised how much better it is than anything else at its price point. Put a downpipe and a stage 2 tune on it, and this baby will be rocking some 350+ BHP and will drive like it's on rails thanks to the AWD system.

There aren't many options you've overlooked in the brand-new car market, honestly. Maybe the C300d? But I'd ignore it given the uncertainty around diesels, even though it has great interiors, rides well, and is nice to drive.

In summary, I'd rejig your shortlist to a three car list

- The GLA35 (well-rounded car for Indian conditions)
- The M340i (The best performer of the three, with some fatal flaws)
- The Kia EV6 (Excellent EV that stops short of true greatness)

Happy hunting.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 7th November 2023 at 09:41.
iliketurtles is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 13:30   #3
BHPian

Re: Replacing a BMW 328i (F30) | Volvo C40 vs the rest

Hey nmn.070,
I’ve had a garage similar to yours with a tuned 320i that I let go a couple of months ago and now am using a Xc40 recharge as a daily driver in Jaipur.

The xc40 is great but not for 4 adults on a long journey. I would stay away from the i4 as the low ground clearance is a constant bother in my opinion. Gla35 and the m340i should be your top choices but the acceleration of the xc40 after one test drive will spoil most cars for you.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 17:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The xc40 is great but not for 4 adults on a long journey. I would stay away from the i4 as the low ground clearance is a constant bother in my opinion. Gla35 and the m340i should be your top choices but the acceleration of the xc40 after one test drive will spoil most cars for you.
Hey! Is it a black xc40 recharge I see hunting down tonk road every now and then?

M340i will require stretching my budget and I've been reading that the 330i has lesser lag and faster response at City speeds. Which makes me think why am I giving away the 328i in the first place. Even now the 328i whose engine was imported back then feels as quick as the new 330i. So now I have reached the following conclusion:

Ioniq 5 - not enough pep
Gla35 - boomy drivetrain and bad build quality
C300d - unavailable atm
M340i - higher price than what needs to be spent for similar acceleration performance with EVs

I believe I will plonk it down for an EV mostly. Still not sure which one of the following:

Ev6 - fast, comfortable, a little too large and flamboyant for my liking
C40 - fast, well built, right size, only consideration is the outdated interior layout

My family of 4 includes 2 speed hungry young children so rear seat space is not a huge problem.

Thank you for your suggestions. Will keep updating as I reach a conclusion.
nmn.070 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 18:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
I believe I will plonk it down for an EV mostly. Still not sure which one of the following:

Ev6 - fast, comfortable, a little too large and flamboyant for my liking
C40 - fast, well built, right size, only consideration is the outdated interior layout

My family of 4 includes 2 speed hungry young children so rear seat space is not a huge problem.

I agree completely with you, in that the 330i is not a replacement for your 328i. It will be more of the same.

Allow me to suggest you two routes forward.

Option 1

Get your friendly BMW rep on your side, so they don't crib about what I am about to suggest, and get a catted downpipe for the (hypothetical) 340i. It will free up that sense of "lag" or "restrictiveness" you talk about, even in Comfort mode. That engine is fantastic; drive it in Sports mode to see it truly in its character, and know that installing a downpipe yourself will roughly get you Sport mode-esque performance in Comfort mode, while Sport mode will become a bit manic. Note that I'm not saying to tune it; unlocking the DME is an issue at the moment, so I wouldn't advise it.

Option 2

If the above idea, and the cost, of an M340i is unpalatable (understandably), I would pick the EV6 over the C40 for the extra space it offers, in addition to its well-rounded feature set, better infotainment system (not sound system though), and more than adequate performance. The Kia does 0-60 in about 4.5, the Volvo in 4...does it really matter that much in the grand scheme of things?

Plus, the Kia is built on a far more future-ready and advanced EV architecture, and I feel its ride and handling is better than the Volvo. That's not to mention the controllable regen levels on the Kia, which is absent on the Volvo. There's a lot of reasons to pick the Kia over the Volvo, and as you can tell I'm a fan of it. I just can't wrap my head around some interior part choices, and am simply not ready for an EV (yet). Else I'd have happily picked it for my next car.

Do keep us posted.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 7th November 2023 at 18:30. Reason: Edited for readability
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I agree completely with you, in that the 330i is not a replacement for your 328i. It will be more of the same.
I just realised that only half of my response was posted. I'm still new to this and I thought I had multi-quote figured out. After seeing your earlier message I quickly took a test drive of the GLA35. It was very disappointing to be honest—boomy exhaust note, which sounded like ricer gypsies. Interior quality and engineering depth were lacking. All other options seemed better. Even my current 328i felt two notches above in quality and drivetrain refinement. I also asked for a C300d, which is not available now. They said they stopped bookings because they don't want it cannibalising C43 sales. Overall a huge letdown from the Mercedes stable.

M340i seems a little bit too expensive for what it offers in city sprints. The EVs do a better job of it with instant torque. Mostly, my usage is within the city. And I'm nervous about the long-term reliability of this high-strung sports sedan. I don't want to get fuel pumps, injectors, or sparkplugs fixed after 3 years after multiple visits to half-baked technicians at our local service centre. EVs give a sense of dependability other than the range which is fine for me.

I too, really like the EV6. It is fast enough but doesn't give the fuzzy feeling that James May used to refer to. It's better than the C40 in all other criteria. Just wondering whether the funky looks and slightly larger-than-required size suit me. I appreciate the suggestions. A modded M340i would be mad, but maybe when I hit my peak midlife crisis!

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th November 2023 at 08:29. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Proofread before posting.
nmn.070 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
M340i seems a little bit too expensive for what it offers in city sprints…And I'm really nervous about the long term reliability of this high strung sports sedan. I don't want to get fuel pumps, injectors, sparkplugs fixed after 3 years after multiple visits to half baked technicians at our local service centre.
I understand your concerns. Your points about it being very pricey and concerns about it not having the best care in your local workshop are totally justified. I do believe that reliability won’t be an issue though, if the Fxx platform is anything to go on. But no matter. Leave the M340i be.

Quote:
I too really like the ev6. It is fast enough but doesn't give the fuzzy feeling that James May used to refer to. It's better than the c40 in all other criteria.
I’m going to be brutally honest and tell you that no EV will give you that fizzy feeling. Not even the i4, since it’s slower than the Volvo and Kia, any chassis increments notwithstanding. The only truly fun EV I can think of is the Taycan, so some concessions will have to be made buddy.

Quote:
Just wondering whether the funky looks and slightly larger than required size suit me.
Take the family along and take a high speed city and highway drive in it. Only way you’ll truly find out!

Last edited by iliketurtles : 7th November 2023 at 22:03. Reason: Grammar :(
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I understand your concerns. Your points about it being very pricey and concerns about it not having the best care in your local workshop is totally justified. I do believe that reliability won’t be an issue though, if the Fxx platform is anything to go on. But no matter. Leave the M340i be
I appreciate the detailed response! The dealer offered to leave it with me for two days. I think I will take him up on that offer and then conclude this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th November 2023 at 08:29. Reason: quote trimmed.
nmn.070 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! Is it a black xc40 recharge I see hunting down tonk road every now and then?

Mine is a Sage Green one.

If it's just 2 adults + 2 children in the car 80% of time, you would be fine in an XC40/C40, Infact you would love it. It's only when you are carrying 4 adults on long drives where the straight back in the rear is bothersome. Other than that, the car's awesome and niggle free!

Coming to interiors, although the Volvo interiors are extremely plain (a little boring IMO) it's exceptionally well built and every surface seems premium.

Last edited by dealer : 7th November 2023 at 22:28.
Old 7th November 2023, 22:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Mine is a Sage Green one.

If it's just 2 adults + 2 children in the car 80% of time, you would be fine in an XC40/C40, Infact you would love it. It's only when you are carrying 4 adults on long drives where the straight back in the rear is bothersome. Other than that, the car's awesome and niggle free!

Coming to interiors, although the Volvo interiors are extremely plain (a little boring IMO) it's exceptionally well built and every surface seems premium.
Good to know your experience with it. Sage green must be awesome. How is the after sale service at Rajasthan Volvo? Hope it has been a trouble free experience for you. Any particular reason for not opting for an ev6 when you were deciding. What swung it in the favor of the Volvo for you?
Old 7th November 2023, 22:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know your experience with it. Sage green must be awesome. How is the after sale service at Rajasthan Volvo? Hope it has been a trouble free experience for you. Any particular reason for not opting for an ev6 when you were deciding. What swung it in the favor of the Volvo for you?
My experience with Volvo Jaipur has been great. Super prompt with the one incident I’ve had with the car and extremely responsive to any requests I had.

Tbh never drove the ev6 before picking the Volvo. Kia just didn’t hold the same brand value as Volvo and once I pushed the pedal in the xc40 all other options were immediately out of contention.
dealer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 07:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
My experience with Volvo Jaipur has been great. Super prompt with the one incident I’ve had with the car and extremely responsive to any requests I had.

Tbh never drove the ev6 before picking the Volvo. Kia just didn’t hold the same brand value as Volvo and once I pushed the pedal in the xc40 all other options were immediately out of contention.
That is wonderful to hear about their after sale service. The speed of the Volvo is actually intoxicating. I'm mostly agnostic on the brand since each product has its own merits.

Also, some xc40 forums mentioned a vibration in the steering at speeds 100-120 kmph. Have you faced this issue? The forums mention that there is no solution provided by Volvo yet. Although the issue seems to be resolved on the new drivetrain cars internationally.
Old 8th November 2023, 08:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

With the Budget you have, you should be adding a couple more cars to the list.
  • Mercedes Benz E Class
  • Audi A6

The E Class will blow the BMW away when it comes to the interior and ride (Yes it does sit a segment higher)

The Audi A6 is pure Elegance.

The above two are unlikely to be anywhere near as fast as the M340i. That said, 0-100 dash in just over 6 seconds is decent. Pottering around in the city, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.

Personally, I find the M340i's springs a bit edgy for day to day use. Flat out on the highway is where this car belongs.

As a few have already said, an EV should be on top of your list.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
That is wonderful to hear about their after sale service. The speed of the Volvo is actually intoxicating. I'm mostly agnostic on the brand since each product has its own merits.

Also, some xc40 forums mentioned a vibration in the steering at speeds 100-120 kmph. Have you faced this issue? The forums mention that there is no solution provided by Volvo yet. Although the issue seems to be resolved on the new drivetrain cars internationally.
Above a 120kmph there is a very minor vibration that can be felt on the steering wheel and until I read the forums, I just thought it's just the large R19 wheels that are transferring road vibrations to the car. You wouldn't know about the vibration unless you actively think about it.
Old 8th November 2023, 09:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I also asked for a C300d, which is not available now. They said they stopped bookings because they don't want it cannibalising C43 sales. Overall a huge letdown from the Mercedes stable.
I had a chat with someone who works at Mercedes in Jaipur, and they told me that the C300d is still available, albeit in lower quantity due to production constraints, and that the C43 was planned since a long time. So maybe your sales advisor got it wrong.
B747fan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks