Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:29   #1
Ess

Which car provides the Best Backseat Comfort? Intended spend of 1 crore. EDIT: Booked BMW X7 40d

We're on the lookout for a car to add to our garage with primarily only one specific requirement, i.e. extreme comfort in the rear seats (2 people) for city usage.

A used S-Class with it's air suspension was the first car that came to mind, but it's length of 5+ meters is a major deterrent. We feel that it might be too long for the roads of Bombay. We already have a 530D which we feel is sometimes difficult to manoeuvre in certain streets in the city.

With a budget of 75L to 1Cr, we're open to new or used (less than 5 years and still under warranty preferably), Sedan or SUV (SUV preferred as we already have 3 sedans) and less than 5 meters in length. As this will be primarily chauffeur driven, performance isn't a priority, although we wouldn't say no to a suggestion with 6 or more cylinders which meets the comfort criteria for when the car is self driven

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated
Ess is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Which car provides the Best Backseat Comfort? Intended spend of 1 crore. EDIT: Booked BMW X7 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
With a budget of 75L to 1Cr, we're open to new or used (less than 5 years and still under warranty preferably), Sedan or SUV (SUV preferred as we already have 3 sedans) and less than 5 meters in length. As this will be primarily chauffeur driven, performance isn't a priority, although we wouldn't say no to a suggestion with 6 or more cylinders which meets the comfort criteria for when the car is self driven
Just over 5 meters length but well within your budget and requirements I can't recommend the Q7 enough! Plush interiors, comfortable ride, great on space and then the 6 cylinder motor is an added bonus!
manson is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 18:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which car provides the Best Backseat Comfort? Intended spend of 1 crore. EDIT: Booked BMW X7 40d

Quote:
We already have a 530D which we feel is sometimes difficult to manoeuvre in certain streets in the city.
We moved from a 5 series to a S-class 8 years ago and still have the latter, while it is certainly bigger, you get used to the size to maneuver. It is worth the slight extra hassle for the amount of extra space and comfort the size provides.

I personally don't think you should fear this aspect much since you are going to be chauffered for the most part.

Secondly, consider the 7 series instead of the S for the back seat comfort. We have both and the 7's back seat is much better. Main difference being the seat height and under thigh support is far better in the rear of the BMW than the Mercedes which sinks you in quite low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Just over 5 meters length but well within your budget and requirements I can't recommend the Q7 enough! Plush interiors, comfortable ride, great on space and then the 6 cylinder motor is an added bonus!
This is a great option. I have always loved the Q7 and was very close to buying one in 2019 when they were on deep discounts. It would make sense to consider this especially since Audi is great with their discounts. However, I haven't read much on the forum about the Q7 discounting.
Sahil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 18:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

- Used S-Class. W222 had a more comfort-oriented suspension than the W223

- Used Vellfire. Ultimate comfort-mobile.

- Wait for the next-gen Kia Carnival that's coming in 2024.

- Used X7, especially with captain seats
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:51   #5
BHPian

Some options to consider for a great back seat:
1. Lexus ES - comfortable, reliable, good looking. It would be my pick for this price range and use case.
2. Volvo XC90 - there's a variant with captain seats in the back that is impeccable in its vibe and comfort. A little long in the tooth now.
3. Audi A6 - not driven it but have heard great feedback about the comfortable suspension.
4. Innova Hycross - save a ton of money, solid residuals, reliable and great 2nd row in the captain seat variant. Lacklustre interior and dull. Only if you wish to postpone your big car purchase decision and wait for new models to get introduced or get newer luxury vehicles at a reduced price in the used market.
5. Mercedes E class - RWD, comfortable, premium. I just don't like the way it looks but that's a personal choice.

Last edited by nmn.070 : 23rd December 2023 at 09:53.
nmn.070 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:57   #6

Hi ,

I would suggest BYD auto 3 . Great vehicle & great comfort. Future tech.Awasome tech. Great suspension.

Regards-
Avinash
writetoavi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:31   #7
BHPian

I would strongly suggest you Camry, Lexus ES or Innova Hycross, they will provide equally good comfort at half the price.
If I had that kind of budget I would just get a Camry and a Hycross, why spend money on 1 when you can get 2 equally good cars that can fulfil all your requirements?

Last edited by manofinfinity : 23rd December 2023 at 10:37. Reason: Typo
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:53   #8
BHPian

This side of Range Rover, the car with good ride quality are the New Discovery, it has got the magic carpet ride quality and it's air suspension is tuned beautifully. Then we have Discovery Sport, which runs on spring suspension but it has got space, ride quality and the NVH is really great too. Discovery Sport is much better when it comes to ride quality when compared to Evoque, F-Pace.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 15:46   #9
BHPian

I strongly suggest you to check out the Vellfire - a used one. In my opinion, it is the best rear seat luxury at the given price point.

If not, check out the Hycross. Proper vfm at its price.
Pythonista is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 16:01   #10
BHPian

Please do check on both the S90 and XC90. Both fit well your criteria and are amazing.
Old 23rd December 2023, 16:18   #11
BHPian

There is a good reason the best selling luxury car in India (incl suvs) is the E class and that is its rear seat comfort. I have sat in the S Maybach, the current Range Rover, etc., and don’t think the comfort level increases that much beyond the E class though the materials are richer. Exceptional space with the lwb, good ride quality, rear controls and a good Burmester music system make it by far the best new car for rear seat south of 1 cr.

If you can wait, consider the next gen 5 series and E class as well. The 5 in its Lwb form should offer a good mix of both driving pleasure and rear seat comfort.
Neelavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 09:52   #12
BHPian

With that kind of budget get a new car! Warranty is a very good thing to have, especially in the pricier segment.

1. If your budget is capped strictly at 1 crore and
A. resale value and mixed bag looks are not that big a deal get the BMW 6GT. It’s well equipped, has air springs, reclining seats, premium audio.
B. So so audio, you are ok feeling some compromise but don’t know where, get the entry variants of the E class -assuming they are still available

2. If you can stretch a bit more, then get the Lexus RX and experience a new dimension of Luxury. Well equipped, got space, cushy premium leather. However, people over 6 foot may complain about head room. In that case get the top end E class.

Last edited by 316kmph : 24th December 2023 at 09:55.
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 10:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

Well its gotta be a used W222 facelift which would be my choice. The comfort is unmatched. The 7 series backseat support is a bit better, but the overall suspension setup on the W222 is better IMO.

If an SUV, then I would look at a used X7 considering how overpriced Range Rovers are these days.

In terms of a new car, its got to be the E350d which is better than the regular Es thanks to the air suspension, but still not close to a W222.

Personally, for Mumbai roads, I feel the Velfire is less than ideal with the van like suspension setup. Mumbai roads are far too bumpy, and the Velfire even with its great seats doesn't manage a completely smooth ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
I would strongly suggest you Camry, Lexus ES or Innova Hycross, they will provide equally good comfort at half the price.
If I had that kind of budget I would just get a Camry and a Hycross, why spend money on 1 when you can get 2 equally good cars that can fulfil all your requirements?
None of the above come close to an S class or 7 series in terms of comfort and refinement. One can also get 2 other cars for the price of a single Camry, but that's not the point here.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 11:37   #14
Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
An option we didn't even think of TBH. Will definitely look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

I personally don't think you should fear this aspect much since you are going to be chauffered for the most part.

Secondly, consider the 7 series instead of the S for the back seat comfort. We have both and the 7's back seat is much better. Main difference being the seat height and under thigh support is far better in the rear of the BMW than the Mercedes which sinks you in quite low.
Okay so based on your experience with moving from a 5 to an S, I guess it's not something we should worry about too much. That's good to hear!

Is it the previous gen 7 series or the current gen that you're referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Used S-Class. W222 had a more comfort-oriented suspension than the W223

- Used Vellfire. Ultimate comfort-mobile.

- Wait for the next-gen Kia Carnival that's coming in 2024.

- Used X7, especially with captain seats
The W222 is definitely an option we should look into based on the number of suggestions on this thread.

The Vellfire is an interesting suggestion. Is it genuinely comparable to an S Class in terms of providing a smooth ride? The same goes for the Carnival.

The X7 wasn't considered as it is HUGE. But if we're looking at the W222, might as well give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
Some options to consider for a great back seat:
1. Lexus ES - comfortable, reliable, good looking. It would be my pick for this price range and use case.
2. Volvo XC90 - there's a variant with captain seats in the back that is impeccable in its vibe and comfort. A little long in the tooth now.
3. Audi A6 - not driven it but have heard great feedback about the comfortable suspension.
4. Innova Hycross - save a ton of money, solid residuals, reliable and great 2nd row in the captain seat variant. Lacklustre interior and dull. Only if you wish to postpone your big car purchase decision and wait for new models to get introduced or get newer luxury vehicles at a reduced price in the used market.
5. Mercedes E class - RWD, comfortable, premium. I just don't like the way it looks but that's a personal choice.
If we're to assume that the W222 is the benchmark for this requirement, would you say that the ES, XC90, A6, E Class or Innova are good options to consider in terms of providing a similar experience? The brand value of the S can be ignored. The need for comfort, filtering out the nasty road conditions and incessant honking in Bombay far outweigh the need for a "luxury brand" as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
The requirement is for 1 "great" car, not 2 "good" cars. Technically we can get 5 "okay" cars with this budget, but that wouldn't really fulfill the requirement, right?

But we'll definitely consider the Camry, ES and Hycross. Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
This side of Range Rover, the car with good ride quality are the New Discovery, it has got the magic carpet ride quality and it's air suspension is tuned beautifully. Then we have Discovery Sport, which runs on spring suspension but it has got space, ride quality and the NVH is really great too. Discovery Sport is much better when it comes to ride quality when compared to Evoque, F-Pace.
The horror stories we've come across in terms of JLRs reliability had us steer clear of the brand when looking into different options. Is it something we're blowing out of proportion or should we expect significant reliability issues as a part and parcel of owning a car from this brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
Please do check on both the S90 and XC90. Both fit well your criteria and are amazing.
Will check them out, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelavi View Post
There is a good reason the best selling luxury car in India (incl suvs) is the E class and that is its rear seat comfort. I have sat in the S Maybach, the current Range Rover, etc., and don’t think the comfort level increases that much beyond the E class though the materials are richer. Exceptional space with the lwb, good ride quality, rear controls and a good Burmester music system make it by far the best new car for rear seat south of 1 cr.

If you can wait, consider the next gen 5 series and E class as well. The 5 in its Lwb form should offer a good mix of both driving pleasure and rear seat comfort.
Wouldn't the E be considered similar to the 5 series? Is it that much of a jump in terms of comfort? We don't intend to sell the 5 after getting a new car, so getting an E for marginally better comfort doesn't seem too prudent IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
With that kind of budget get a new car! Warranty is a very good thing to have, especially in the pricier segment.

1. If your budget is capped strictly at 1 crore and
A. resale value and mixed bag looks are not that big a deal get the BMW 6GT. It’s well equipped, has air springs, reclining seats, premium audio.
B. So so audio, you are ok feeling some compromise but don’t know where, get the entry variants of the E class -assuming they are still available

2. If you can stretch a bit more, then get the Lexus RX and experience a new dimension of Luxury. Well equipped, got space, cushy premium leather. However, people over 6 foot may complain about head room. In that case get the top end E class.
The budget is already a bit of a stretch so we'd like to stick to a ceiling of 1Cr.

Heard many good things about the 6GT, will definitely give it a shot. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Well its gotta be a used W222 facelift which would be my choice. The comfort is unmatched. The 7 series backseat support is a bit better, but the overall suspension setup on the W222 is better IMO.

If an SUV, then I would look at a used X7 considering how overpriced Range Rovers are these days.

In terms of a new car, its got to be the E350d which is better than the regular Es thanks to the air suspension, but still not close to a W222.

Personally, for Mumbai roads, I feel the Velfire is less than ideal with the van like suspension setup. Mumbai roads are far too bumpy, and the Velfire even with its great seats doesn't manage a completely smooth ride.
Another strong W222 recommendation. Looks like this is at the top of the list now, unless we have to get an SUV, in which case we'll take a look at the X7 and Q7.
Ess is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 12:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The horror stories we've come across in terms of JLRs reliability had us steer clear of the brand when looking into different options. Is it something we're blowing out of proportion or should we expect significant reliability issues as a part and parcel of owning a car from this brand?
JLR and reliability don’t go hand in hand, however, their bread & butter models like discovery sport, evoque, defender are proving to be fairly reliable. Velar, The Range Rover are the ones seeing bit of electronic gremlins but others are doing fairly good. Evoque and Discovery Sport are going to have facelifts soon and it also means they are having discounts. JLR is giving 5L off on these cars, rest you can push from the dealer. Let me know if you need any help with them, I have few friends in JLR.

The other suggestion would be to checkout the E-class, it’s a class of its own or if you may wait then wait for the upcoming E-class. This is one car I would pick eyes closed if “suv” was not my criteria.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 25th December 2023 at 12:45.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks