Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2024, 18:06   #1

2015 BMW X5 30d M-Sport | Is it worth buying in 2024?

Dear all,

This is my first ever post on TeamBHP and boy am I thrilled! I am planning to buy a 2015 X5 30d M, with 56k on the ODO. The car has had two owners who treated her nicely. The car was recently serviced, with new brake pads fitted. The car has the instrument cluster and the infotainment from the 2021 model, making the interior feel like you're driving the latest model and 20 inch rims give it a Godly look.
I drove the and it was POWERFUL, there was no sign of oil leakage, no worrying sounds from the engine and the suspension was great I took it over the rough patches and even over a speed bump at 80 kph and it just did was it was meant to do.

I really like the car, but I'm scared about a lot of "What if's", requesting all the owners to help me out on this one! The dealer is asking 27L for it and I feel thats a little high personally. I'd be happy for 24L
ShoMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 18:56   #2
BHPian

re: 2015 BMW X5 30d M-Sport | Is it worth buying in 2024?

At 56k mileage the odo meter is not very high and it can be a good buy. Also 30d engine is quite reliable if taken care of.
Do take it authorized BMW service center and get it checked thoroughly. Can't comment on the pricing for used since I have never dealt in a used car.

But the million dollar question is why 2 owners with just 56k odo? I can understand the first owner upgrading, but why is the second owner selling it? Engine issue? Suspension? Because these problems could cause you a lot time and money.
Dante is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 17:45   #3
BHPian

I would advise against. Been there, done that moment. While these cars age really well, after a point in their lifetime you need to keep consumables in mind and believe me, they aren't cheap and the process itself is pretty exhausting. Things like engine mounts, steering rack, suspension if not detected early on can become a very exhausting process to acquire and build. The pricing is fair honestly if you crack it at 24. If you're buying a "new" car, you wouldn't like to see things going downhill within the first few months itself. If you're ready for the spend, and your running can do justice to it, then the 30d engine is an absolute joy to munch miles in and the X5 is obviously an all-rounder.
Arnav612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

https://www.olx.in/ad/1755947164

Is this the car? Because it’s listed online for 25L
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 16:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post

Is this the car? Because it’s listed online for 25L
This is the 'base' xLine trim, not the M-Sport trim. The M-Sport I believe adds air suspension, Nappa leather or something more premium, better sound system, and of course bigger alloys and M-Sport kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
But the million dollar question is why 2 owners with just 56k odo? I can understand the first owner upgrading, but why is the second owner selling it? Engine issue? Suspension? Because these problems could cause you a lot time and money.
Agree with you on the engine & having it checked out by BMW ASS for any issues + service history.

However, it is very likey the second owner bought the car many years ago and is selling it after boredom. More than kms - it's also 9 years old.
I've done that - our ex 328i had done some ridiculously low 37K when we sold it - 10yrs old, second owner. Could be the weekend car for the owner, or they just didn't get out as much - but a point to check of course: if he's flipping it in a couple years is there a reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoMan View Post
Dear all,
I really like the car, but I'm scared about a lot of "What if's", requesting all the owners to help me out on this one! The dealer is asking 27L for it and I feel thats a little high personally. I'd be happy for 24L
You're buying a 9yr old German with Air Suspension. You should be scared if you're stretching your budget for it because repairs aren't going to be cheap. Pre-owned Germans only make sense if you have a fair enough amount reserved for maintenance - around 2L/year on average (sometimes more, sometimes less - just the tyres would be 1L, suspension would be 2-3+, other small components, etc.) & the time to wait for parts to arrive while the car is standing. The car is fairly reliable, and could cost a fraction of all this to maintain during your ownership if you've lucked out - but be mentally prepared and financially prepared before taking the leap.
lamborghini is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 17:31   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2015 BMW X5 30d M-Sport | Is it worth buying in 2024?

I think 54k kms is very good if genuine. 24L would be a decent max price.

Check if it is serviced at Authorised centre all through and if service history actually exists.

BMW has a 360 degree check program. Paid but decent value. Get the Dealer to agree to you doing this after price finallization as the first step. Incur this cost with option to cancel without refund of 360 degree check charges as token amount, if you are not happy with check report.

Engine should be safe till 150k kms. I have used this engine myself in Bombay till 150k kms (in my X3 30d). And my X6 is at 95k kms currently. Intake develops carbon that needs to be cleaned around 125k kms.

The Baloons (Air suspension) are not too expensive. An outside garage will do the full normal front suspension for about 80-90k, Each corner with air suspension is about 75K. If only baloon is gone it will be about 20k and if the valve controler plus pump then another 45-50k. Generally the Baloon is all that fails. So entire suspension work front and back can be done for about 2L. Gearbox ZF is a reliable unit.

Already you have the infotainment screen and speedometer upgraded to a digital look so about 1.75L is saved.

Last edited by ACM : 16th January 2024 at 17:33.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 19:10   #7

Hi all,

I have decided not to pursue the car as the guy seemed a little shady and pushy. There was no service history on the car after 2017 and the reason why he was selling was being mentioned clearly so I thought it would be the best option to steer clear from this deal. Also reading about the air suspension and the cost that I would bear was tremendous.
Then I looked at Audi A6, but it also comes with air suspension and the car is a little outdated on the inside. I saw a few VW Tiguans and they're really really good but X5 has made its mark and quest goes on!

The entire point of switching to this tier is to USE them, clock some kilometers and clock them fast! So the last thing I need in my life right now are frequent visits to a mechanic and on top of that finding a good mechanic is also as difficult as finding the car but I know at the end this will be worth it.

Thank you for all the support, will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2024 at 10:29. Reason: Typos. Please proof read your post. Thanks.
ShoMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 18:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoMan View Post
Hi all,

I have decided not to pursue the car as the guy seemed a little shady and pushy. There was no serive history on the car after 2017 and the reason why he was selling was being mentioned clearly so I thought it would be the best option to steer clear from this deal. Also reading about the air suspension and the cost that I would bear was tremendous.
Then I looked at Audi A6, but it also comes with air suspension and the car is a little outdated on the inside. I saw a few VW Tiguans and they're really really good but X5 has made its mark and quest goes on!

The entire point of switching to this tier is to USE them, clock some kilometers and clock them fast! So the last thing I need in my life right now are freequent visits to a mechanic and on top of that finding a good mechanic is also as difficult as finding the car but I know at the end this will be worth it.

Thank you for all the support, will keep you guys posted.
Good decision I'd say. The sole purpose of getting something pre worshipped is it's worshipped in the first place in terms of the way it's maintained. I know tons of BMWs being serviced with shady Chinese parts which doesnt show any tantrum every day but when something actually goes wrong its mostly going to stay till the kingdom come. I have learned this lesson the hard way too having bought a 320d E90 off an acquaintances which decided to keep freezing on the go every now and them. Despite it being a very clean car mechanically there was something terribly wrong with the wiring and ultimately the car is rotting in a private workshop in Patna. Cheers
Old 19th January 2024, 09:24   #9
BHPian

I was in the market for a used X5 ranging from 2015 - 2018 for the past 6 months. And I've seen all the vehicles I could get my hands on, pretty sure the one you are talking about is from crown cars, Delhi. The issue with low mileage X5s is none of the vehicles I saw were genuine and keep in mind I actually saw all the low mileage ones on carwale and olx throughout the country. After bargaining the dealers have the audacity to open up the fact that the odo has been "turned back". I have given up, but have a small hope to find an X5 with low mileage being sold by the owner itself.

Another thing to keep in mind is the BMW service centres aren't using a centralised database. So, you need to find the specific service centres the vehicle was serviced to get the service history. I've also come across a while bunch of vehicles with tampered service history in the idrive.

So, be very careful on this hunt and good luck.
darkpython9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 10:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
I have given up, but have a small hope to find an X5 with low mileage being sold by the owner itself.
Have you seen any high end cars directly sold by the owner? I rarely see any in the classifieds ( Carwale, Olx, etc ). Everything is from the dealer.

I think many are corporate purchases or taken on company lease. After depreciation/lease, these are just exchanged for another car.
Old 19th January 2024, 10:34   #11
BHPian

I've gone down this path last year (2023) and purchased a 2014 X5 (base model) for 27L in Jan 2023. One of my main considerations was a clean interior, and a clean engine. Both of which I got, but I did not get the rest - suspension has needed overhauling (front), and calibration (rear), tyres/wheels needed a swap out to OEM, and overall it hasn't been a totally fuss free ownership experience. But, this is the 3rd/4th car in the family, and I have the luxury of sending it off for 7-10 days for repairs/maintenance.

For that price, it is an absolute beast of a family hauler to own. Fits everything, has acres of space, comfortable ride, true luxury on the inside, and can go almost anywhere. But if this was the only car or main car for the family, I wouldn't go down this route unless I have a very accommodating family! These do require maintenance and care and time.

I am considering swapping this out for a Ioniq 5 soon, because even with the tech upgrades I've done (M-sport steering wheel with paddles, 6WB digital cluster, 12" touchscreen with Carplay), it is leagues behind a modern car.
d_payne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 13:04   #12

Hi all,

After spending a lot of time on "research", I have finally come the conclusion mentioned below -

1. BMW X5 is only worth it if you have budge of at least 40L because whatever you have on the market is not worth risking it.

2. BMW X3 was something that was looking promising but unfortunately there aren't that many in the used car market and the one's that are out there are above 30L (I am talking about models from 2018) and if there is any the ODO is at 90k - 100k.

3. BMW X1 - (ding ding ding) we have a winner!. A 2019 model with less than 20k on the ODO. No issue of air suspension becuase it DOESN'T HAVE ONE! It has everything I am looking for, but there is one thing I need your help in, is it better to go with an S-Drive (FWD) or X-Drive (AWD). This is my only point of concernt, please do let me know.

Rest I would really like to appreciate and thank all of you for being so active here. Cheers!
ShoMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks