Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 22:27   #1
BHPian

Which Used Audi? A4 Vs Q3 Vs A6

Hello everyone,
First time making a post here but I feel the time is right to seek your expert opinions on my family's situation.

We have had our top of the line 2.8 L Z Variant Diesel Innova Crysta for 7 years now, however, due to being based in NCR, it is a hassle to keep a diesel vehicle for obvious reasons. Plus my father feels the time is right for an upgrade, especially in brand and segment of cars.

We are going the pre-owned German Luxury segment, since the new ones are off limits in terms of budget .

We have test driven an X1, and while it is more refined, my father didn'f find the performance to be much of an upgrade compared to our crysta. Plus despite it being an 'SUV' we didn't feel it lived upto our expectations.

We test drove the 2023 Audi A4 and Q3 and were much more impressed by the performance and luxury factor (especially interior) on offer at the price point we are targetting - 40 lakh.

At this stage we have 4 main options:

1. A 2023 Top end model Audi A4, first owner, 12,000 km run Audi demonstrator car - grey

2. A 2023 Top end Audi Q3, again a demo car with a similar odo - father is more of a heighted car person so is more inclined towards this, although it is in a stark blue colour which is off putting. I sugested the option of getting it wrapped for 30k or so but the factory paint finish cannot be matched.

3. A 2023 Top end model Audi A4, first owner, 17,000 km run Audi demonstrator car - but in black...both grey and black look good but black is black which is why we're somehwat conflicted.

4. A 2021 Audi A6, 46,6k km run - This is a bit of an outlier, but an A6 is a complete segment above the A4 according to me and I feel it should be considered.

All are around a similar pricepoint. What would you do?
sh3lby is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 09:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Used Audi? A4 Vs Q3 Vs A6

A demo car's 1 km is equivalent to a private owner car's 3 km, because of the demo's high level of abuse, different drivers & general "use it for 1 year then dispose" attitude. A 13000 km demo car is perhaps driven by anywhere between 400 - 1000 different drivers too. Where private owners baby & pamper their cars, demo cars are driven like rental cars.

In that sense, the A6's 46000 km is not that high as compared to the demo car's 12000 - 17000 km. Plus, the A6 is from a segment above and will offer better space and noticeable improvements in suspension finesse, overall quality, NVH, space etc.

My pick would be the A6. Take a long test-drive and follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) to the T. You should also be able to top-up the warranty with an extended package.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 20:43   #3

The A6 can be considered. I am saying this because I own a 8 year old A3 with 60k Kms and it still drives so well and there has not been any issues till now. So a 3 year old A6 with 46k Kms can serve you well for a long time. Do consider about 5 Lakhs extra in mind for any contingent service / repair / part cost and you will be fine. Also consider the fact that it's a large car and whether it will be easy to drive and park in your conditions. Get the car history and condition carefully checked before buying.
Vineet258 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 11:38   #4
BHPian

A6 is definitely the one I would go for simply because it is owner driven, I will never buy a demo car or recommend anyone buy one either, these are abused way too much for my comfort!

Do look at other pre owned options and try to land one that has less than 30k on the odometer, it would not need too many replacements of wear and tear parts anytime soon where as if you are near 50k, things will be nearing end of life especially the suspension components! Also, if you are not specific on the badge, do consider a new Kodiaq, it has 90% of luxury at 70% of the price, after sales may not be best though, CKD customer are treated horribly by VW/Skoda group with smallest of replacement parts taking over 90 days to be imported!

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th February 2024 at 13:42. Reason: Corrected as requested
abaliga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:31   #5
BHPian

A6 would be the best bet. 46k for 3 years implies the car has been used properly and maintained well. I hope the service record is nice; then, 46k is nothing for this German. It can run smoothly without any problems. As mentioned by others, do take a test drive on a long route and verify with a checklist. I guess that would be a great deal.
Old 12th February 2024, 13:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I would skip the A4 & A6 primarily due to kms run or that they are demo cars. The Q3 by itself wasn't as impressive - I'd rather buy a new Tiguan / Kodiaq over the Q3 because apart from interiors - the tiguan is a hoot to drive & the Kodiaq a brilliant family car.

At a budget of 40L, you should be looking at a BMW 330i - a 2021 model should be in your rangle with low kms and hopefully BRI that can be extended, or a new 2023 A4. If it means stretching slightly for a new 2024 A4 base trim, it would be worth it.

The A6 too is an excellent buy, but with 45K on the odo - will probably require routine maintenance a lot earlier & there is no overlooking that the parts will be expensive.
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:46   #7
BHPian

Would suggest a used Lexus ES300h or NX. Coming from a Toyota, the reliability of a 46k km A6 will be a huge downgrade. You will have to keep the mental bandwidth to deal with these issues as they prop up. Barring this, the A6 is the best option in your list— I would strongly suggest that you do not go for a demo car, as they are subject to much greater abuse. If you are considering the A6, I would also suggest that you look at a used LWB E class

On a tangential note, I am looking into used a used Innova for my family— we had a Hycross reservation, but ended up canceling to buy a used Crysta. If it is permissible per forum rules, and if you might be open to it, I am interested in connecting with you regarding your Innova. I am unable to message you, but am happy to provide contact details

Last edited by L8ButV8 : 12th February 2024 at 15:11.
L8ButV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:47   #8

My advice would be to please stay away from demonstrator cars. Especially ones that start with a Q.

A Q vehicle might have been used as demonstrator car in the Q drive event. If you attend one, you'd never think of buying a demo vehicle. On the other side, You will also be surprised by the capability available right from Q3's Quattro all the way to Q8. Its mind bending.

If 40L is the budget, you might stretch it a couple and get a new PP variant with some hard negotiation. You will also get a NEW A4 in this value.

Close to 50L A6 isn't a good choice.

In general demo vehicles are never a good deal.

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th February 2024 at 14:53. Reason: Minor typo corrections
anothercar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
We are going the pre-owned German Luxury segment, since the new ones are off limits in terms of budget .

We test drove the 2023 Audi A4 and Q3 and were much more impressed by the performance and luxury factor (especially interior) on offer at the price point we are targetting - 40 lakh.
I don’t get it. You have a budget of around 40 lakhs and yet you are going for pre owned. That too demo cars. The premium and premium plus variants of the Audi A4 and Q3 can be had for around 40-42L OTR Delhi.

If you are going for used, I’d suggest getting the A6.
beemer5499 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 17:51   #10

For this budget, go for an Audi A4 Premium.
A4 interior is much better than Q3.
Even though it's a base model, except for rear AC vents and Single Zone AC, it's almost the same as Premium Plus variant.
New car is always better because you don't know, how the first owner has (ab)used the car. New car comes with complete Warranty and service packages.
You can easily negotiate A4 and Q3 MY23 for under 40, which may include Extended Warranty upto 5 years and maintenance package for 3 years. I've been down that road 6 months back.
All the best.
Sanjeevgogia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 15:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With a 40 lac budget you're within a couple of lacs of brand new A4/Q3 entry level variants, why even bother with going used car route. Whilst the used 2023 cars will get you a bunch of extra equipment a brand new car will bring you peace of mind. Blessing in disguise is that apparently the 2024 Q3 comes with auto hold which makes commuting in urban traffic a breeze!

The A4 built on the superior MLB platform has better fit and finesse over the Q3, but then you get Quattro and better ground clearance (not bad on the A4 either) with the Q3. Simply choose a brand new four ringer your father fancies, can't go wrong with either!
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 11:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

I feel like this dealer is screwing you. For that price you can get a brand new Audi after discounts.

If you want a used petrol car, also consider a bmw 330i.
Old 6th March 2024, 19:11   #13
BHPian

Why bother with a used A4?
My friend picked a new A4 for 42L in Delhi in December. Considering that Gurgaon has less road tax, it would be even less for you.
Old 9th March 2024, 17:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello everyone,
First time making a post here but I feel the time is right to seek your expert opinions on my family's situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddj38 View Post
Why bother with a used A4?
My friend picked a new A4 for 42L in Delhi in December. Considering that Gurgaon has less road tax, it would be even less for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I feel like this dealer is screwing you. For that price you can get a brand new Audi after discounts.
Going by Sh3lby's avatar picture I'm guessing the family has brought home a Q3 Sportback!
Old 9th March 2024, 20:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Going by Sh3lby's avatar picture I'm guessing the family has brought home a Q3 Sportback!
He did, and thankfully a new one too! He had posted another thread with pictures
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks