Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2024, 18:45   #1
BHPian

2024 Porsche Cayenne vs BMW 7-Series

Hi guys ,
Currently looking to replace my 2023 Defender 110 HSE .
I will be keeping the new car for 2-3 years and then getting the new BMW X7 when the model changes.

My requirements are
1. Which of the above two will have a good resale value and ease of sale . (What kind of value hit am I looking at these cars after 2-3 years with about 20,000 kms driving).

2. Which of the 2 have a better luxury perception to the general public .

Also is buying a Cayenne considered an upgrade from the defender ?
Thanks a lot in advance guys .
Old 13th May 2024, 11:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 Porsche Cayenne vs BMW 7-Series

Two very different cars. SUV vs Sedan
As per your two requirements I would say Cayenne fits

I personally would go for the 7 especially if not self driving most of the time. The 7 back seat is in another league compared to Cayenne
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 11:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Why do you want to sell the Defender this quickly? Is it not luxurious enough? Or some other reason.

Both the options you mentioned will require a bit more care in usage than the Defender.

The Cayenne is a great all rounder, and the Porsche badge does hold good value today. But the 7 in terms of luxury is something else all together, what a machine it is! I guess you need to take a call whether you want a sedan or an suv. In terms of resale I think the Porsche may hold its own, going by current trends.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 14:47   #4
BHPian

Selling the defender as I am seeing too many of them .
My driving requirement is 50/50 self driven/ chauffeur driven .

But I don’t want to take a major hit on the resale so that might shift my decision .
Resale value is an important part of my decision here .

Also 2026 new Porsche Cayenne will be launched so I don’t want to get caught in that. I don’t know if they will do a major refresh of the current Cayenne or not .
morphin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 19:03   #5
BHPian

In terms of resale and badge value cayenne is better than the ugly 7-series.

Have a look at newly launched panamera as well if you are interested in sedans. Why change cars so often? Buy a top of the line range rover and keep it for a longer duration. Range rover >> cayenne > x7.

In terms of resale value & ease of sale: range rover, range rover sport> x7, cayenne> 7-series, panamera.
acedriver_9000 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 22:55   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the input Ace but I don’t want to spend 3.5 and get a range. Would prefer to play in the 2cr area for a few years.
Old 14th May 2024, 10:04   #7

Defender has a terrific resale value as many Fortuner owners aspire to upgrade to a used or a new Defender.

Between the Cayenne and the 7-series, the 7-series is a new gen, fully loaded and feels up-to-date with all the gizmos and luxury. Hence, it should ideally have a better resale.

The Cayenne loses out on resale as the price bumps up with options. If you choose a basic spec Cayenne, then the resale would be fine. It’s important to note that neither of these cars will be able to hold value like a Land Cruiser or a Defender. Heck, even the current X7 or GLS would hold value better than the two cars in contention.

The Cayenne is more usable than the 7-series and can be an all-in-one car. If you self-drive all the times and do a lot of road trips, Cayenne makes sense.

However, in terms of value and luxury in this price range, it’s hard for any car to beat the 7-series.

Happy Shopping
newton_meteor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 10:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post

Defender has a very strong resale. If you find a direct customer, you can probably get about the same as you might have paid. If you must sell now or soon, you better do it now, as Tata will start local production. Though I doubt they will reduce prices significantly, the cars can get more loadings.

Cayenne, at least in this generation, is glorified Q7, and I won't suggest it. This model also takes a hit on resales.

X7 - LCI is good, but only if you want to get driven. Unfortunately, nothing will give you a good experience at both the rear and in the driver's seat except Range Rover. Alternatively, you can add another car for rear seat comfort, like a Vellfire or an X7. If on budget, I will keep that Defender and add a Hycross.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 11:32   #9
BHPian

If you are open to pre-owned, I suggest to have a look at pre-owned inventory and see if you can find a lesser-run good condition model, which has already taken a good depreciation hit.
You can keep it for a couple of years and then go for X7.
low_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 12:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

X7 - LCI is good, but only if you want to get driven. Unfortunately, nothing will give you a good experience at both the rear and in the driver's seat except Range Rover. Alternatively, you can add another car for rear seat comfort, like a Vellfire or an X7. If on budget, I will keep that Defender and add a Hycross.
I am wanting to get the new X7 when it comes out with the model change .
Thanks for the heads up on the Cayenne .
What is your opinion on resale value of 7 series after 2.5 years ? How much of a hit should I expect ?
Thanks a lot
morphin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 12:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am wanting to get the new X7 when it comes out with the model change .
That should be at least 3 Years away, at least from our market. 2027 is when BMW will come with newer one.

Quote:
What is your opinion on resale value of 7 series after 2.5 years ? How much of a hit should I expect ?

Are you considering 7 or X7? For 7 series, as far as resales are concerned, it's a depreciation disaster. The worst resales probably, as the customers for this car are mostly corporates or HNI, and they will always buy brand new. You will be lucky to get half the price.

Instead, if you are a corporate buyer and can claim depreciation, you can pick up that i7 from BMW for 3 or 4 Years under buyback.

More than needs, I think you have an itch to get something new. That's perfectly fine and understandable as long as you can afford it without affecting finances.

If you can increase your budget, sell that Defender and buy "G" in Diesel and a Hycross (unless you already have one)
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 13:13   #12
BHPian

Hi Turbanator so true it’s not about the need .
Not a corporate guy so lease won’t make sense .
If you think the 7 will take such a big hit then what other options am I left with ?

Looking for a not very common car and something that will not tank like a 7 series sedan .

Defender will be seen left right Center everywhere in a year’s time , which is why I am trying to get rid of it .

Thanks a lot all of you for your insights .
morphin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I don’t want to take a major hit on the resale so that might shift my decision .

Also 2026 new Porsche Cayenne will be launched so I don’t want to get caught in that. I don’t know if they will do a major refresh of the current Cayenne or not .
The 7 series is rarer and you won't find many of them on the roads simply due to it being considered more impractical. That horrible looking grill also ensures that you will stand out.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 15:13   #14

Best bet would be a G wagon, hands down unbeatable when it comes to low depreciation in the lifestyle segment.

Better yet, buy a low key Innova in India and enjoy supercars in Monaco/Dubai
458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 15:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys ,
Currently looking to replace my 2023 Defender 110 HSE .
I will be keeping the new car for 2-3 years .
If you are looking for a car which you will use for 2 to 3 years, why not go pre-owned?

If you want a chauffeur driven car, check out Team-BHP's classifieds, there is a good looking BMW 740i, a Porsche Panamera etc. You can also get a good S class (Maybach if you so wish), Land Cruiser, Lexus LX series etc. You can also get driving enthusiast's cars (I forgot the word) like X5 or X7 M, AMG Mercedes etc.

Going pre-owned will save you depreciation money while letting you abuse or pamper the car the way you like it

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th May 2024 at 15:18. Reason: Capitalizing car and brand names
Anonymous guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks