Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2004, 19:03   #1
BANNED

How to go about Importing a car?

hi
*i was surfing some used car sites (http://www.batfa.com)
and saw that importing a 93' celica gt would cost around
2.15 lacs with the shipping cost included .....isnt that cheap...
what r the other costs after the cost of the car and the shipping charges that one comes across like registration.....
and what r the other bottelnecks..

Does any one has any experience importing a used car frm japan.

n njoy ur trip to mahableshwar fellas...
cheerio

Old 13th June 2004, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

besides the price u have mentioned there are taxes like import duties,bribes,registration,etc.. here the bribe is 2 lacs and duty is around 5 lacs if i'm right for a moderate car.
Old 14th June 2004, 19:26   #3
BANNED

thanks nitrous ,for the info
Old 14th June 2004, 19:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Its all irrelevant. The "Law" says you can't import a car older than 3 years. So, unless you have some very strong strings to pull, you can't bring these cars in anyways.

Ofcourse, being India there's always a way out of everything thanks to the 'ol "you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's" mentality!

Rtech
Old 15th June 2004, 00:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Umm pal, as far as Japanese cars are concerned, don't look at just how cheap it is.

Remember, the cheaper the car the higher a premium you have to pay. For instance, if a car is less than 5,00,000 yen, u have to pay an additional 1,00,000 yen. Also the transfer charges, loading and shipping charges (around $1000 for a car like the celica) and other miscellaneous costs. Plus homologation, customs, excise, sales, octroi and registration. If you ask me, its not the costs, its the bloody painful procedure and time it takes to get one. Even bribing is no sure-shot way of getting things done. It still takes its own time, the hassles you currently undergo are nothing short of giving you a heart-attack.

My advice. Buy an imported car here in India. Sure it'd be more expensive than to import a car of same vintage, but it saves you so many hassles that it starts to feel cheap all of a sudden.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks