Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 21:25   #1
BHPian

Used Mondeo, Optra 1.6 or Sonata

I am planning to buy a used car with a budget around 4.5 lac. I have shortlisted the following
  • Ford Mondeo
  • Optra 1.6
  • Sonata
I want a powerful car, which the Mondeo and the Sonata are. I need a big car, which all three are. I know that Mondeo is a big risk since the parts are very very costly. Hows a sonata ?

I am confused please help. I can afford a 7 KML.
Old 29th October 2007, 23:01   #2
BHPian

well mondeo as you already know has very costly spares and its specially a concern when we are talking about a second hand car so stay away from mondeo

sonata will suit your budget well, its big and powerful however the engine is not that refined and cant be compared with modern cars...but if incase you come across a sonata v6 than definately go for that car but still overall i can say that sonata will be a better bet than mondeo

dont even think of optra 1.6 if you want power

if you ask me i would suggest you to go for an excellent condition ohc vtec 2003 model which will definately fall in your budget and its more responsive and refined than sonata and offcourse more reliable too. Moreover you can get it modified easily for your own convinience and liking.
Old 30th October 2007, 01:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ah! Not the Sonata! Of the three, I'd love to choose the Mondeo if at all I could get a good one for <4.5 lacs.
Old 30th October 2007, 01:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Accord 2.3. That's a nice car.

I think this is the first time on TBHP we have 2 members with the same name!
Old 30th October 2007, 03:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mondeo has expensive spares but is the best drivers car out of these three.
The Sonata isn't powerful nor driver friendly.
The Optra is also more luxurious than fast.

The best option? A 2001 Accord 2.3 Vti M/T. Fast, comfortable, reliable. What more do you want from a car? Ours has clocked over 70,000km and is amazing as ever!
Old 30th October 2007, 03:48   #6
BHPian

OHC ? Old Honda City right ? I know its an excellent engine but that too is not high on BHP. Also I dont like the looks very much. How much BHP is a Honda City.
Old 30th October 2007, 03:52   #7
BHPian

What average will a accord give ? Someone told me 5 to 6.
Old 30th October 2007, 07:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitroy View Post
I am planning to buy a used car with a budget around 4.5 lac. I have shortlisted the following
  • Ford Mondeo
  • Optra 1.6
  • Sonata
I want a powerful car, which the Mondeo and the Sonata are. I need a big car, which all three are. I know that Mondeo is a big risk since the parts are very very costly. Hows a sonata ?

When buying 2nd hand, buy a vehicle that has sold enough numbers. The Mondeo hasnt sold well and apart from the driving pleasure it delivers very little else + spares are ridiculously expensive IF they are available. You havent mentioned old or new Sonata and if old whether you're contemplating a V6. The new Sonata is quite powerful, as was the old V6 - they would both be the most powerful of the lot you're considering.

The Optra 1.6 isnt really powerful.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th October 2007 at 07:03.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:26   #9
BHPian

Hi Amitroy!

IMHO the Sonata is the one to go for ...you will get the A.S.S. you are looking for & the parts are'nt very expensive either....remember once you buy the vehicle...get it serviced from an authorised Hyundai workshop...for peace of mind.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:29   #10
BHPian

Want to add the Mercedes E 220 to this list ( 1996 Model). I am getting some deals in this model within my budget. Any suggestions. Also if someone can tell me how much average will the Merc E220 give
Old 30th October 2007, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Ford Mondeo
  • Optra 1.6
  • Sonata

Mondeo is not a wise choice finance wise. Its easily the best car listed and I personally am a big fan of mondeo but its a pain in the *** when it comes to maintainence . I have gone over the same dilemma over and over and each time I see one in used car market the thought comes back again . Really great car but sadly ford is not backing the way it should.

Optra 1.6 is okay choice if you are not wanting a boyracer kinda car. Its not powerful nor is it a great handler

I think its the old sonata . For 4.5 not the right car for the time. 1 lac can make this look like a jaguar . Comfortable but I think if thats your priority you should have a look at pre 2002 Accord that available for approx 5 lacs which makes for a more sensible buy taking into account your requirements.
Skoda Rider 1.8T - heavy on maintenece but suits your need to a T
Toyota Camry - near to 7 lacs great comfort and unbelievably smooth engine especially at redline .
New Sontata - near to 7 lacs
W124 - 4-5 lacs not a bad everyday car if maintained well.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Want to add the Mercedes E 220 to this list ( 1996 Model). I am getting some deals in this model within my budget. Any suggestions. Also if someone can tell me how much average will the Merc E220 give
7-8 - City.
9-11 - Highway.
Avg - 9.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:47   #13
BHPian

My stretched budget is around 4.5 lacs and there arent many Accords available in the market at that range , I have also heard that the average of the accord os just 5 KM/L but not sure.
Which car is the W124. There are Sonata Gold;s 2002 models available for 3.75 to 4.25 lacs.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What average will a accord give ? Someone told me 5 to 6.
Ya your right... i have a 2003 2.3L accord and get avg in the range of 5.7 when pushed hard to 6.7 when normal....not taken it much on the highway but a few times that it did the avg was 9-10. And ya its a automatic coz of which the avg is on the lower side. But its a grrr8 car, mines over 4 years old and clocked over 46,000Kms but i still dont feel like letting it go!
Old 30th October 2007, 10:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well,
we own both the Accord and the Sonata, the Accord has done 70kkm and the Sonata 66Kkm.
The Accord gives a better average than the Sonata.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks