Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2005, 02:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

budget luxury

my recommendations-
Jaguar X-Type
it would be a good buy though it would mean pushing your budget up by a few more 1000s. it comes with AWD to beat the snowy/icy conditions.

Audi A4
the 1.8T would just about squeeze into your budget or the 3.0 which would just cross your budget.

Chevrolet Impala
no frills family sedan with a HUGEE!!! trunk (like the Toyota Camry) with decent power, good handling & cheap to maintain. will fit well into your budget and will also solve seating constraints of my other 2 choices

Saab 9-2x/9-3
excellent buy. tried & tested (the 9-5 & the 9000CD, not the 9-2x or the 9-3 unfortunately). however, you just cannot go wrong with a Saab. My Recommendation.

Volkswagen Jetta/Passat
another excellent buy - depending on your budget stretchability (the Passat). the Jetta falls well into your budget though.

are you looking for a brand-new car? you can get a bigger luxury car within your budget, second hand (approx. 2-3 year old). ofcourse theres the issue with warranty and condition.

won't re-mention the other cars as they've already been commented on numerously.
ad

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2005 at 02:19. Reason: adding content
Old 5th February 2005, 10:42   #17
BHPian

Meanwhile does anybody know some free site to check used car histories in US using the VIN.

Thanks in advance,
Old 5th February 2005, 10:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
Meanwhile does anybody know some free site to check used car histories in US using the VIN.

Thanks in advance,
I highly doubt a free site exists!
Even if it does, it will not manage to match the extensiveness of carfax.

I'd imagine the best thing to do would be pay that extra 5/10$ to get the "unlimited VINs" for a month or whatever the deal is....... and then split the costs and share the account with as many people as you can.

You also *may* be able to find these accounts being given off on other forums.

cya
R
Old 5th February 2005, 12:28   #19

the galant was my first car. i got it for $5000 and am not expecting anything over $2000 for it. i would have gone for a bigger used car that would fit in my budget but i really dont see the need for it. the criteria is kind of vague because i really havent decided what to look for. i already have luxury and performance so mabey a run of the mill car with decent performance and seating capacity for 4 should do. i am planing to stick to the japaneese brands as they are tried and tested in terms of reliability. the wrx sti fits in my budget and i am planing to give it a try( my friend owns one so i might borrow it for a week and see how well it fits my need.) also a local dealer has a used evo with less than 5000 mile on it for 25K i will take a look at that too. (but in the end it is the wife that will decide LOL)
Old 5th February 2005, 12:31   #20

ps- how do i change my location, i dont see that in the options or settings.
Old 5th February 2005, 12:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(but in the end it is the wife that will decide LOL)
Well then, the Evo and WRX are off the list! I doubt she would go for the riceracer look and stiff ride!

I still think the G35 coupe would be perfect. Soft enough for the wife, yet powerful enough for you!
Old 5th February 2005, 13:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Is the G35 Coupe based on the Nissan 350Z by any chance, coz they have pretty similar styling and design.

Pretty impressive, 3.5 ltr, 260 bhp, 0-60 in 5.9 secs and all this for around 27 grand.

But, though we've been reccomending cars like the S2K and the G35 Coupe, we forgot about one condition, which says that it should be a 4 seater.

The G35 Sedan, TSX and the Acura TL would be more like it. And what about the lower versions of the Evo 8? You can get one for around 27 grand. It is equally powerful, very fast and can seat 4 comfortably.

The 270 bhp version should be more than enuf, for the job.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 5th February 2005 at 13:14.
Old 5th February 2005, 13:52   #23

actually i am considering the g35 coupe not the sedan. and yes i am considering an evo(just not a new one) and a wrx sti.
Old 5th February 2005, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I highly doubt a free site exists!
Even if it does, it will not manage to match the extensiveness of carfax.

I'd imagine the best thing to do would be pay that extra 5/10$ to get the "unlimited VINs" for a month or whatever the deal is....... and then split the costs and share the account with as many people as you can.

You also *may* be able to find these accounts being given off on other forums.

cya
R
Thanks for the info buddy.
Old 6th February 2005, 23:23   #25

..... a day of test drives later (too bad there is a stupid law in new jersey that says that car dealerships must be closed on sundays) i test drove the accord V6 coupe, the tsx, the G35 coupe( and a porsche boxster just for kicks as it was in the same dealership) and a camry V6 M/T oh yea and the used evo. now first the evo even if i am going to buy an evo it is not going to be this one. last time i looked at it i didnt pay much attention to detail and now that i got the carfax report the car has been in an accident nothing major but the attitude of the dealer was not going for him. the accord coupe and the tsx are just lwhat you expect from honda, perfect fit and finish sporty ride and great engines. they are definetly still on the list just dont know which one. the camry wasnt originaly on the list but since the dealer had one with a manny tranny i decided to check it out, the ride was too soft to be sporty and the shifter had an aftermarket grip(can be changed but...) and even the slightest sweat on my palm would make shifting from 4th to 3rd or 2nd to 1st a nightmare, just not sporty enough in my opinion(if i was looking for a good family sedan this would have been it). my friend is dropping off his scooby in a couple of hours and it will be mine for the week so i will decide after i drive it in city traffic and stuff. and just to add that the boxster was AWESOME! one of the best sports cars for the money if i tried this car uple of months back, this car would definetly have been in my garage. keep the suggestions comming guys.
Old 6th February 2005, 23:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya19882003
...the G35 coupe( and a porsche boxster just for kicks as it was in the same dealership)...
I am guessing Ray Catena Dealership on route one...
Old 7th February 2005, 10:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Hey aditya,

what were your impressions of the G35?? Can't be too good if you didn't bother writing anything about it!
Old 7th February 2005, 11:27   #28

Ofcourse, you could go the traditional desi way and get a Merc or a Beemer, but it would be the no frills base model for that amount I would think.[/quote]
the traditional desi way would be a TOYOTA CAMRY ... now if you had your green card and a wife with a kid you would go the MINIVAN route....
seriously.. you can TELL a freakin desi driver in the states... it SUCKS
Old 7th February 2005, 11:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
now if you had your green card and a wife with a kid you would go the MINIVAN route....
I thought the minivan has been replaced by the SUV? And since when did the Camry replace the Accord as the favorite?

But thats for the family man. For a 26 something who has his first job bringing in the greenbacks, he has to show his friends and family back home that he has "made it", hence it's either a Mercedes or a BMW.
Old 7th February 2005, 22:03   #30

u r right samurai, ray catena it is. that is where i bought me mercs also. oh and i didnt have enouugh time to write about the G35 and also i drove the G35 right after i drove the boxster so..... it was a good car but the guy who was sitting with me bored me so much that i wanted to be done with it as soon as i could. oh yea and the scooby, it is going great. there is a slight turbo lag but my friend said that this was due to some mod that he messed up with and does not come standard. the clutch is not too great for city driving so i am still thinking about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks