Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2009, 15:17   #1

Skoda Superb:Diesel Vs Petrol

Hi People,
This is my first post here, and I am sort of a novice, I am interested in the new Skoda Superb, but I cant decide between the diesel and the petrol versions, I am aware of the basic differences between petrol cars vs diesel cars. but my question is mainly pertaining to re sale value, the superb petrol version is priced at 22,80,000 and the diesel a little over 26 lakhs, and I would probably use the car sparingly because of parking/traffic issues and I would probably use my other cars for normal chores, I would maybe on an average run 20 kms/day in the superb. The difference in cost being 3.5 lakhs would it make sense to go for the diesel version, in 5 years what would the difference between the resale values of the petrol and diesel versions be. My second query is that Skoda is a brand mainly known for their diesel automobiles, so is the new petrol superb better, and are there any advantages the petrol version has over the diesel. What is the mileage on the diesel version, I think Skoda claims that the petrol version gives a mileage of 8.3 kpl.
Old 19th April 2009, 15:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

autoknight
there are many threads where you will find the review of the petrol which looks suitable for your needs

also , you just need to figure out , based on ur running per day, how many years it takes to just make up for the difference in initial investment. if it is longer than the period u intend to keep your car, then go for petrol ( off hand i think that would be the case for you )

MODS - THIS THREAD BELONGS IN THE WHAT CAR SEGMENT
Old 19th April 2009, 17:32   #3
BHPian

The TDI being a SKoda will command a bigger resale value, but probabaly the TSI is just what the doc ordered for getting the petrol to sell. For your use the TSI will be way better, however the TDi resale should be significantly higher. I say go for the petrol. As an added bonus, it's silent compared to the TDI.
Old 19th April 2009, 18:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm not able to understand how the diesel will have better resale value when one has to pay more than 3L for it in the first place. So 5 years down the petrol will be lower than the diesel by 3L. How does that equate to better resale?
Old 19th April 2009, 20:14   #5
BHPian

Premuim petrol cars depreciate like stink. ( Unless they are Toyotas or Hondas ). Plus, its market perception that if it is a skoda it has to be a diesel. The petrol octivias did not do that well, it was the TDI that did it. That image has stuck. Thats my opinion. You don't find too many people going in for a petrol Skoda.

However for the required use, the petrol Skoda fits the bill to the T. And if your planning to keep her for 7 years or so. then close your eyes and go in for the petrol, then the resale value difference will be negligible

Last edited by redeff : 19th April 2009 at 20:16.
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2009, 20:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

redeff, I agree with you, but in this case of the superb, the initial price difference is not a lakh. It's more than 3lakhs. IMO this will easily offset the depreciation and net result evan after 3-5 years will be the same for both.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:49   #7
BHPian

vid6639 - when i enquired a second hand skoda superb diesel and petrol in Bangalore the price was

Petrol - 4.5lakhs
Diesel - 15lakhs

where both were of 2004 model.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:05   #8
BHPian

Along with weighing the pro's & con's of petrol and diesel Skoda's one VERY important aspect is the quality of after sales service and the extremely expensive maintenance cost of this brand. You can find numerous threads/posts on the forum on the experience other owners of Skoda vehicles. So, if you are a die-hard Skoda fan, keep these costs in mind when you buy.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Well the resale values speak for themselves, how ever the earlier V6 petrol was thirsty. The 1.8 TSI might just be a different story altogether.
Old 20th April 2009, 15:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
vid6639 - when i enquired a second hand skoda superb diesel and petrol in Bangalore the price was

Petrol - 4.5lakhs
Diesel - 15lakhs

where both were of 2004 model.
That's impossible !! The petrol was probably totalled or something, or obviously needed such a lot of work that it would fetch more as scrap. Take two decent examples of each and I'd say the difference can't be more than 4-5 lakhs at resale point.

EDIT : Both were 2004? I have my preliminary doubts about whether the Superb was around in 2004, but I will probably be wrong there - that's besides the point. The more important thing is - NO WAY IN HEAVEN / HELL / CARWALE / TEAMBHP OR ANYWHERE WILL A '04 SUPERB GO FOR 15L REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT RUNS PETROL, DIESEL OR LIQUID GOLD.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 20th April 2009 at 15:22.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:12   #11
BHPian

Definietly go for TSI - Petrol

Mate,

You shall definietly go for TSI - Petrol.
It TSI stands for Turbo fuel Stratified Injection ( something like lean burn technology..but a lot superior to it.)
The beauty of this technology is better revealed in urban commute than on highways.
You will be definietly surprised by the mileage figures. ( When driven one of my friends New Superb for 300kms... I got 10.8 kmpl, route included 50 % urban).
The car is just like rocket fitted with all the possible gadgets at that price with a very good build quality.
As I felt the car, I dont think you shall worry for the resale value ..( Because you will never want to sell it.)
Old 20th April 2009, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Skoda superb was existing in 2004, you can check it in carwale.com for more info.

We checked the insurance there was no claim at all and after a test drive it was pretty decent and had run 30k kms.
We took 2 days to decide and before we decided the vehicle was sold, otherwise you could have seen one in one of our t-bhp drives.

It might also be that it needed a lot of work that it would fetch more as a scrap.

You should also keep in mind that the price quote depends on individual owners aswell and we found this ad in carwale.com itself a year ago.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
It might also be that it needed a lot of work that it would fetch more as a scrap.

You should also keep in mind that the price quote depends on individual owners as well and we found this ad in carwale.com itself a year ago.
Hmm I understand what you're saying. But Carwale quotes themselves are a little optimistic to being with, and Carwale ads bear quote prices which are the whims of the seller. No one in his right mind would pay 15L for a 4-5 year old Superb whether it's a Petrol or a TDI, thats all I was saying
Old 20th April 2009, 17:12   #14
BHPian

Well guys,I ve bought the superb diesel 10 days back,and I am enjoying every bit.I have similar driving pattern of 20kms a day and that too in the worst traffic of Mumbai.I had booked the petrol but changed my mind when i drove the diesel,and the engine is not at all noisy.It has more torque.Gives you a good mileage on the highways,say around 12km/l.And moreover the Skoda's are well known for diesels;& the seven speed dsg in petrol is a newer technology to deal with.Also the initial petrol v'rs & octavias dint do well,so I would suggest you to go for the diesel superb;its clever thinking!
Old 21st April 2009, 17:34   #15
BHPian

looking to your driving pattern, if you intend t keep car for more than 6-7 years, than only diesel make sense.

go for petrol. (dont worry about resale, worry only about ***).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks