Team-BHP - Which VFM Performance Sedan ? EDIT- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI PD now bought!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Which VFM Performance Sedan ? EDIT- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI PD now bought!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/57188-vfm-performance-sedan-edit-skoda-superb-2-0-tdi-pd-now-bought.html)

Folks

Here I go again with my new car itch :D. I'm thinking to get a proper performance sedan that can also be used for everyday routine chores (malls/school drops/going to office/etc). Since I spent a major chunk of my budget on Q7 few months back I would like a performance sedan that has most of the following attributes (This would be a replacement for Civic V AT):

1. Can be used for daily activities and taken in the rouge city traffic without heart in the mouth feeling.
2. Has the supreme performance for Indian highways -> meaning I'm always ahead (mostly !) if and when I take it to GQ runs.
3. Is most VFM. -> meaning lowest cost for Rs/BHP, Rs/Nm
4. Has decent ride and sufficient rear legroom (I'm 6'1")
5. Has satisfying build quality
6. Gives confidence while driving and taking family on open roads.

I have shortlisted following;
1. Superb 3.6 FSI V6 - 4x4
However dealer tells me it won't be available until Oct. I can wait however. The biggest hurdle is the horror stories I have read on this forum and make me very reluctant to go for this car. I did a test drive on 1.8 TSI however and though the A.S.S part is shoddy the car itself looks pretty good and reasonably priced. I was however pleasently surprised by the Autostrada (Skoda delar) folks response. The request for test drive was promptly met and the person brought the car to my house on time unlike 1.5 years back where I kept begging for a Laura AT test drive that never happened (forcing me to go for Civic). Even the manager (who is new here) was very courteous and explained to me at lengths how is working hard to fix the mess spread by their earlier mgmt team.

2. Accord V6 - Bit overpriced but less features. The AT gearbox is slow comparatively. Also the car mags review and our own t-bhp review on the steering and suspension are not very positive. Available off the shelf now. Have owned two Hondas now and the overall experience has been very good. Prompt service and zilch problems so far. But another Honda .. Hmm it has become a boring though safe choice.

Then there are Audi A4/A6 3.0 TDI, BMW 530d etal but these do not quite fit my requirement in bullet 1 above. So I guess it is ultimately between the Accord and Superb for now.

What is your take on this guys. Please advice this car lover maniac. I'm in no particular hurry to get this car. Are there any launches lined up in near future ?

We're talkin VFM here and i suppose being ahead of the pack would mean good driving skills too . IMO, none of the European cars are VFM when duties are taken into consideration. So If i were to suggest based solely on the thread Title.

1: New Mitsu Lancer/EVO could be here
2: Chevy Cruze could be a bargain (I feel GM will provide a stonker to recover their brand value)
3:Nissan Murano - This will be a niche product just like the Mitsu Outlander. Not many would be seen on road even though they both are capable rides.
4: The new Hyundai Avante ( i think) if your looking for a VFM Luxury saloon.
5: At the most basic level , i think even a Cedia would qualify.

between the accord and the superb there is no competition. the superb is way better in all ways. its also got awd. the accord is far from vfm.

otherwise i suggest the a4 3.0tdi. why not another audi eh?

Man, you are a real performance junky :p
I'm guessing this car will be used as a daily commute, hence i'd pick a 2.4 Accord or Superb 1.8/TDi. These have more than enough grunt to shoot you past most cars at a traffic light.
You already have the Q7 with a powerchip to play around with at night and weekends.

The Accord 2.4 is VFM in the long run. Superb is VFM at the time of purchase. Accords and their ilk are massive - you wouldn't want to maneuver that thing around in traffic and nobody will give you way like they do when you are in the Q7.

I'd suggest you look lower down the range. Maybe a MIVEC Lancer? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 1271351)
Man, you are a real performance junky :p
I'm guessing this car will be used as a daily commute, hence i'd pick a 2.4 Accord or Superb 1.8/TDi. These have more than enough grunt to shoot you past most cars at a traffic light.
You already have the Q7 with a powerchip to play around with at night and weekends.

Junkie !! :Shockked: May be. But blame it on the Q7 (esp. after chipping) all my other cars now look and feel too tiring. I guess I have tasted the blood and hence this urge. Sorry I came to the party quite late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1271348)
between the accord and the superb there is no competition. the superb is way better in all ways. its also got awd. the accord is far from vfm.

otherwise i suggest the a4 3.0tdi. why not another audi eh?

Superb also looks Ok to me if it was not for the A.S.S. part. Audi is probably ruled out since then I'd need to be very careful (and loose the fun) from all the chaos that unfurls on our city roads everyday. With a little cheaper cars I can be a bit casual, relaxed and handle the love affair that goes on between various transportation objects, 4 legged beings etc all claiming their share of precious city roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by absynthguzzler (Post 1271269)
We're talkin VFM here and i suppose being ahead of the pack would mean good driving skills too . IMO, none of the European cars are VFM when duties are taken into consideration. So If i were to suggest based solely on the thread Title.

1: New Mitsu Lancer/EVO could be here

Yes. EVO. Why I didn't thought about this. Can it used to transport family also. Any idea when we could see it on our roads. This could be a deal !!

the evo 10 should be here this year in the range of 30 lacs.

Considering VFM, adding to the list

Sonata Embera(White) diesel + petes box = 170bhp.
Skoda superb diesel + petes remap = 200bhp (would suggest only if you can maintain it :Shockked:)

Dont even think of laura if you want to be ahead.

t-bhp absolutely rocks. I got two new alternatives. Thanks folks.

1. EVO
2. Peted Sonata

Is there any ownership experience on remapped/Pete'd Sonata ?. Somehow just 170 bhp for a car that big still feels too less. Also how killing would the turbo lag be ? But I agree that nothing could be more VFM than the Sonata option. I need to get convinced about the performance part though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 1271465)
t-bhp absolutely rocks. I got two new alternatives. Thanks folks.

1. EVO
2. Peted Sonata

Is there any ownership experience on remapped/Pete'd Sonata ?. Somehow just 170 bhp for a car that big still feels too less. Also how killing would the turbo lag be ? But I agree that nothing could be more VFM than the Sonata option. I need to get convinced about the performance part though.

no2 should read Peted Avante .Id wait for the new version of Hyundai's rather than Sonata considering that your willing to wait .

As far as i have seen any peted diesels makes wonders. Take example of my elantra, its very boring to drive a stock elantra but once peted it different story.

A VGT 170bhp + 35kgm of torque and still maintainance will be far cheap compared to an Evo and thats more than enough for indian road conditions and daily drive.

If you still need more power then go for a good air filter + remap to get around 200bhp.

EDIT: You get atleast 2lakhs discount aswell.

why not a BMW 320D highline? Its compact, VFM, performance oriented and a dream handler (performance is about handling as well). You can remap it for better performance later on. FE is decent as well.

Get the A4 with the V6 diesel engine.

If the EVO10 is indeed coming to India - it should be worth the wait. Also you will get a taste of Rice power ( since you already have some German machines in your garage )

bumping up the performance of the EVO should be relatively cheaper than AUDI's I am sure

and more importantly, YES YOU CAN CARRY AROUND YOUR FAMILY in the EVO 10.

Since your money went into Q7, why not look at the sonata transform?

The 2.4 VTVT is 14.5 ex and the CRDI is 15.5 ex showroom
You get 175hp and 150hp on those two plus you can use petes
Luxury at a pretty cheap price, so you can plonk your family in it
hyundai reliability
good for city, mileage of 8 or 9
you get ABS with EBD at that price :)

The accord is far from VFM and skoda is well, a risk at the moment. The Evo is going to be more than 25L if it comes so it's still pricey.

By the way im only suggesting the sonata because you said your money went into the Q7, if you can shell out more than ~17L than look at the BMW 3 series, it's nice and compact so city driving shouldn't be a nightmare and it is capable of being "ahead" on highways. :p