Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 00:48   #1
BHPian

Need Help in buying a car for 6' tall passenger. ~28L budget.

Hai,

I want to replace my sonata. My dad is using it. He is 6" Tall. We tried the
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Skoda Superb

My budget is around 28 lakhs and i am looking for an diesel vehicle, but the issue is reading the posting about Skoda i am a little skeptical to go for superb

We tested the Honda Accord but we felt it similar to our existing car and my dad was not comfortable at rear seat bcos of his height.

We like the Camry it was good but a bit expensive compared to superb.

Superb was an excellent car, good space, good gizmo and diesel too.

So i am a bit confused , i need help to suggest me any other good cars in the market if i have missed them and your comments on skoda.
Old 11th May 2009, 07:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda maintenance (parts, frequency) will be on the higher side. This is a certainty irrespective of honesty and service ethic of dealers.

There are some dealers who are honest and customers are happy with them with reasonable consistency (such as JMD in mumbai). For instance, I had problems with TAFE bangalore, but no issues after switching to Vinayak.

Another concern is Skoda has not been taking action on errant dealers, but they don't encourage dealers to do fraud. Unfortunately taking no action amounts to collusion.

If maintenance costs (say worst case Rs20K per regular service, plus major accidental damages which will be Rs 2-3 lakhs) are not a problem, buy it, stick to a good dealer and it should be fine.

Or buy a used 5 series or E - worth the headache of having few holes in your pocket.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:03   #3
BHPian

The Superb Diesel is supposed to be noisy, its a great car though, however it commands a Huge premium over the petrol. Again, Pd will be phased out in a year and i hear skoda shall plonk CRDI engines into the superb as they did with the Passat. However as a over all package its hard to beat by any car except the petrol superb.

The Transform makes a lot more sense by head if you dont need all the toys. However the resale is not the best either.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:27   #4
BHPian

need help

Well, Thanks for your response,
I would like to go for Hyundai in luxury car segment as the brand value and resale value is not up to the mark
i would be keen for an second hand E class but which model and what is the cost i should shell out.
what is your opinion about passat.
Ronny
Old 11th May 2009, 12:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

If your dad did not find the Accord comfortable, he wont like the used E too. It is comparatively cramped than the Accord and so is the 5 (though better than the E).
What did your dad not like in the Accord. I am sure it must be the seating position and angle rather than the legroom.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:35   #6
BHPian

best thing will be to stretch the budget a bit & buy a diesel 3/C.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:42   #7
BHPian

but the bmw 3 series is very cramped at the rear. accord had the rear seat issues not the legroom issue.

Ronny
Old 11th May 2009, 15:01   #8
BHPian

I guess VW Passat should be a nice option considering your requirements and it also falls in your budget.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:29   #9
BHPian

Since you mentioned that you want a diesel car, I suggest you go for the Passat. It's a great car, very luxurious feel. VW is a reputable brand as well, and the fuel economy is also better than the Accord. Rear seats/legroom shouldn't be a problem.

If you are willing to wait a bit and stretch the budget to around 35, I suggest the Passat CC which is supposed to come out soon
Old 11th May 2009, 21:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

skip passat, there is a reason why you dont see many on the roads. by honda standards, accord is not a winner in the market. you can as well flog the old sonata for some more time instead of buying accord. my personal opinion of course.

with a 30L dough, you are surely in merc/bmw/audi zone. new 3/c or used 5/e. 5-series has done very well. on this forum you will find lot of what-to-buy threads ending up in a purchase of 5. hunt for a used 5/E. being in mumbai should help. E being a less happening car you might get a good deal. do some research on used 5-series.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:22   #11
BHPian

well i think i should try for an old E or and 5 series. What your suggestion which model of these ie E 270 or E280 or 525D OR 530D or any other model which is better and how much should i pay for them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks