Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 17:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Show it to the BMW dealer and get it evaluated so that you can rule out any expensive jobs, apart from the seats (leather crumbled) no signs of bad usage. I would want to add that since its a used car dealer, they are very good at dressing up the car and pass it off as excellent. So please check with Beemer guys before you sign that cheque.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:44   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A rough guesstimate : Annual maintenance cost averaged to 1,25,000 p.a. minimum, and 2,00,000 maximum over a period of 5 years. Also, there will in all certainly be downtime, due to the wait period for parts.

Bargain hard. Not too many car guys out there willing to buy a decade old BMW.
Old 11th June 2009, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Used car dealers are great with dressing up flaws, however leaving small issues like door not shutting, horn not working should have been taken care of. It would raise a red flag and I would dig deeper. If its a small issue they would have taken care of it before presenting to a client. It maybe just that they are lazy but still dig deeper to get a satisfied answers.
Old 11th June 2009, 20:32   #19
BHPian

Hi ,

I would suggest you take the car to a BMW authorized center and just tell them to have a look at the car and tell them you want to know a rough estimate about the repair work. even if they charge small amount for it for diagnosing the problem it should be ok , for all you may know that it might be small nick nacks non expensive things which need a tinkering ? or maybe if its not your day then you might have a series of problems .

If i would be you I would take the car to BMW authorized service center and show them and ask for rough estimate about the repairs . rest your shot
Old 12th June 2009, 00:58   #20
BHPian

sorry forgot to mention - dont tell the BMW authorised guys about the price , as they will always say - you are paying too much for this model done this much kms and blaah blaah
Old 12th June 2009, 14:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A rough guesstimate : Annual maintenance cost averaged to 1,25,000 p.a. minimum, and 2,00,000 maximum over a period of 5 years. Also, there will in all certainly be downtime, due to the wait period for parts.
Do you mean a min maintenance cost of above 10K a month !!!! Guess a Merc 124 250D seems a better buy, what say? The gentleman is not willing to budge below 6.15L claiming an expenditure of approx 75K on the suspension and aircon which he has done already.

After reading all the posts I am preparing to back out of the deal. However as all of you recommend, will be taking the car to an authorized dealership for a check-up before the final NO.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:08   #22
BANNED

you say the car is in delhi ? the pics show bombay if i am not wrong ? car is MH registered is it ? who is the dealer ? never seens this in bombay anyways.
Old 15th June 2009, 18:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
you say the car is in delhi ? the pics show bombay if i am not wrong ?
Woops! my mistake. It is with a dealer in Mumbai not Delhi (guess )! It is MH registered and the person is into many other activities besides dealing in cars, so cant exactly call him a car dealer.
Old 16th June 2009, 04:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the condition of the car, I would recommend you to go for it if you are in the market for a E39 diesel. Closing the deal at 6.00 would be fair to both parties. This is assuming the car does not need any expense greater than 30-40k estimated by a reputed service center. Its hard to find German workhorses of this age in good shape. The history of the car means a lot if you plan on keeping this car for about 3-4 years. Since no one has mentioned any mods, I will list my choices :
1. No mechanical mods, an absolute zero.
2. A good quality M5 bumper. No M badges please on a oil burner.
3. M5 wheel and gear knob if not too expensive.
4. Alloys aren't bad but team-bhp spoils you.
3. 530i tails lamps (white and red ones).
Old 16th June 2009, 16:49   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Woops! my mistake. It is with a dealer in Mumbai not Delhi (guess )! It is MH registered and the person is into many other activities besides dealing in cars, so cant exactly call him a car dealer.
i thought as much. which dealer has this car in bombay ? so the car is for 6 laks and how much do you think one has to spend after buying it to fix niggling issues as mentioned ? 1 or 2 laks more ?
Old 16th June 2009, 19:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i thought as much. which dealer has this car in bombay ? so the car is for 6 laks and how much do you think one has to spend after buying it to fix niggling issues as mentioned ? 1 or 2 laks more ?
Guess that would be max i'd need to spend on the car. But the bigger problem is the spares like filters, brake pads, shocker bushes etc, for which you need to be entirely dependant on your stockist after paying the full amount as advance. On enquiring at Opera House, Mumbai came to know that the E39 is one of the most expensive BMWs to maintain and very few shops stock spares for these cars. The smallest of things need to be ordered from either Germany or China / Taiwan.

Add to that the highly complicated vaccuum-assisted self levelling suspension that this particular top-of-the-line car has, and you are poorer by a lakh and a half should something happen to the suspension.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:35   #27
BHPian

Seems like you are running out of faith in your love. if you ever had a slight inclination towards a diesel W124 ( E class 96-98 model) try to test drive one. you will find it much more easy and cheaper to maintain compared to your current love. only thing is you have to find a well maintained 250D.

As far as my research goes it will cost you any thing between 3.5 to 7 Lac depending on the condition.

Ultimately it depends on whether you love a Beemer or a well built GERMAN CAR.

Decide!!!
Old 16th June 2009, 21:42   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Guess that would be max i'd need to spend on the car. But the bigger problem is the spares like filters, brake pads, shocker bushes etc, for which you need to be entirely dependant on your stockist after paying the full amount as advance. On enquiring at Opera House, Mumbai came to know that the E39 is one of the most expensive BMWs to maintain and very few shops stock spares for these cars. The smallest of things need to be ordered from either Germany or China / Taiwan.

Add to that the highly complicated vaccuum-assisted self levelling suspension that this particular top-of-the-line car has, and you are poorer by a lakh and a half should something happen to the suspension.
lol. looks like you are in deep 2 minds about this. i would be as well. i was hunting as well. but found out its too high to maintain all this in india. im gonna stick to japanese cars at around 10 laks. they last much much more than all these beautiful but expensive cars. if you think you have 1 lak a year to spend on this, get it. its not like it will break down often or something but be ready for it as well. update if you buy it. im looking out for a 3 series myself, would love a convertible.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great car,neatly maintained & nice color.Is it diesel or petrol.
Old 17th June 2009, 11:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

525TDS.

It's a diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks