Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 05:29   #1
BHPian

Need Advice: Diesel Car around 20 lacs - 22 Lacs

Hi Guys,

I need some advice from fellow members. We are looking for 2 (Both Diesel) cars with different budget. I am currently in USA but these cars are to be used by my parents. Below are the details:

CAR 1:
Budget: 20 - 22 Lacs, Diesel Sedan
Options: Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (Have to think about the SKODA A.S.S)
VW Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline
VW Passat

I do not know what else can fall into given budget with diesel engine.

CAR 2:
Budget: Around 6 Lacs
Options: Suzuki Swift Diesel (Read in some other thread that New Swift is Due, do not know in details though)
Suzuki Ritz Diesel
Fiat Punto Diesel

Guys, Please advice on the options selected. If I am missing on any car, please advice on that as well.

Thank you
Old 19th August 2009, 11:00   #2
BHPian

HI Nitrous Power. Welcome to TBHP. Cars prefered by you in cat1 are good in their own rights. However, the on road prices of Passat & Superb are more than your budget. I ll suggest you may consider Laura 2.0 TDI which has the same engine as that of the Superb TDI. Jetta comfortline is well within your budget but since, you have the budget my recommendation would be for the Laura 2.0 TDI.
Since, you have selected diesel , so options in the budget are limited as of now. YOu can considered Hyundai Sonata transform as an option too.
If your parents are likely to hire a driver then Sonata would be a better option compared to Laura IMO. VW Passat otherwise is very good but servicing may be an issue and Superb is Superb choice if you can stretch your budget a bit.

However, if you consider petrol as well (in case running is approx. within 1500kms a month on an average) , then we have a pretty long list of options available.

For Car 2- Fiat Punto , Swift, new Indica all use the same engine block. Swift sells the most and in your budget you may go in for a Swift Dzire ( sedan) instead of the Swift hatch if you like. Indica has more space and many added features which you may consider. Suggest get a test drive of all the cars and see what suits them more and depending on which dealers service centre is closer to your place as well, you may take a call. Ford Ikon diesel is another car in the price range you have given.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another nitrous! Welcome to the forum.

If an SUV is alright, you could consider the handsome Chevy Captiva for the first car. If it's sedans, the Passat / Superb are easily 3-4L above your budget considering OTR prices. That leaves you with the Laura / Jetta / Sonata pack. If your parents are chauffeur driven, the Sonata's rear seat comfort is unbeatable, and reliability / servicing costs / parts will be more economical than the VW twins.

For the second car, I'd stay away from the Swift / Ritz due to build quality issues. I cannot live with rattling doors on a 6-month old car. You could go for the Punto (many reviews available here). If you want to save a bit of dough I suggest the Indica with the 1.3 MJD engine. If you want to stretch a bit, i20 with it's feature set is worth the money. If you can skimp on some features the i20 Magna Diesel should not be a problem at around 7L.

If I were you, what would I do with 26L? Probably;

Option 1 : [Captiva / Superb] + [Indica]
Option 2 : [Sonata] + [i20 / Linea MJD]

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 19th August 2009 at 11:36.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Another nitrous! Welcome to the forum.

If an SUV is alright, you could consider the handsome Chevy Captiva for the first car. If it's sedans, the Passat / Superb are easily 3-4L above your budget considering OTR prices. That leaves you with the Laura / Jetta / Sonata pack. If your parents are chauffeur driven, the Sonata's rear seat comfort is unbeatable, and reliability / servicing costs / parts will be more economical than the VW twins.

For the second car, I'd stay away from the Swift / Ritz due to build quality issues. I cannot live with rattling doors on a 6-month old car. You could go for the Punto (many reviews available here). If you want to save a bit of dough I suggest the Indica with the 1.3 MJD engine. If you want to stretch a bit, i20 with it's feature set is worth the money. If you can skimp on some features the i20 Magna Diesel should not be a problem at around 7L.

If I were you, what would I do with 26L? Probably;

Option 1 : [Captiva / Superb] + [Indica]
Option 2 : [Sonata] + [i20 / Linea MJD]
but would also like to add the Fortuner to this. There are also discounts available with dealers so you could check for that as well.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
CAR 1:
Budget: 20 - 22 Lacs, Diesel Sedan
Options: Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (Have to think about the SKODA A.S.S)
VW Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline
VW Passat
Do keep the Chevy Cruze in mind too. It should be avaliable for far less then 20-22 lakhs.

Quote:
CAR 2:
Budget: Around 6 Lacs
Options: Suzuki Swift Diesel (Read in some other thread that New Swift is Due, do not know in details though)
Suzuki Ritz Diesel
Fiat Punto Diesel
I don't know how much you can stretch your budget but if you are flexible, include Hyundai i20 in the list too.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
but would also like to add the Fortuner to this. There are also discounts available with dealers so you could check for that as well.
Hmm, I didn't factor in discounts for Captiva. Bargain hard and you might have enough dough left for the i20 diesel instead of setting with the Indica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Do keep the Chevy Cruze in mind too. It should be avaliable for far less then 20-22 lakhs.
Much less, perhaps? Isn't it a replacement for Optra?
Old 19th August 2009, 12:59   #7
JRD
BHPian

hey nitrous the superb diesel is around 25L ahmedabad. so here is what i think

Car 1: Jetta 1.9TDI Comfortline/Sonata transform/Toyota Fortuner
Car 2: Dzire Diesel/ Fabia / Indica Vista
Old 19th August 2009, 16:17   #8
BHPian

I would heartily reccommend Superb but would advice you to wait until early 2010 (if you can) since a better CR diesel should be available then instead of a little noisy PD available now.

That said, this is a good car with solid/sturdy build and interiors are quite good for its price. Also you would love the mid range punch of this diesel.

Disclaimer: Make sure you know someone senior enough in your Skoda dealership to take good care of your car if you need to visit them.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly does your running justify buying a diesel ?

The diesel superb doesn't make much sense, I did the math and weighed the pros & cons and got the petrol superb. It's a superior engine than it's diesel brother and much cheaper too hence the cost diff to buy the diesel won't really get compensated.

But if you must have a diesel then save the cash and get the Jetta DSG which has attractive offers on.

As a second car the i20 diesel is a good option
Old 19th August 2009, 19:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

VW Jetta or Laura make the most sense at your price point. Unless you need or really like an SUV, I don't see why you'd want one. A sedan gives you more features and comfort anyway. You could wait for cars like the Cruze or the Kiazahiwhatever too.

Second car: i20 makes great sense though its expensive.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I think he is interested in a sedan rather than a SUV(judging by the choices).
I agree with Sahil. Superb petrol makes more sense and is in your budget as well.

For 2nd car- Punto or i20 must be considered as its for your parents so should be comfortable with good ride quality.
The new swift with K series engine is coming in petrol in sep i guess.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th August 2009 at 21:03.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:55   #12
BHPian

In the 20 lac segment, almost all choices have been exhausted by fellow BHPians. I could only add Mitsubishi Pajero and Ford Endeavour, but that is an SUV again.

As far as D cars in the 6 lacs segment is concerned, you can consider:
1. Swift - Great drive but cramped rear
2. Ritz - Practical hatch
3. Punto - Great ride and handling and solid build and GORGEOUS!
4. Swift Dzire - Bigger and more practical than Swift
5. Ford Ikon - The drivers car with a very comfy and roomy rear
6. Renault Logan - The most practical sedan in this range
7. Getz CRDi - Fast, powerful, roomy

Btw I just wish you said Petrol because then I could have recommneded the Honda Accord, Nissan Teana and the Toyota Camry!
Old 19th August 2009, 22:59   #13
BHPian

For car 1 you can go for Jetta, if you are alright with SUV then Toyota Fortuner is also a good choice. I would advice you to to stay away from Skoda as it has pathetic A.S.S. I can vouch for it.

For car 2 Suzuki Swift DDiS is the best option or you can also try Grand Punto Diesel.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:56   #14
BHPian

I vote for Superb and Swift VDi. Both of them are proven and tested to be the best sedans in diesel segment. You might consider the all new Ikon diesel as well.

From my personal experience, Ikon diesel is a drivers car. Power and comfort, both are the best in class.

BTW, if you aren't hiring a chauffeur then first get a TD on the shortlisted ones.
Old 20th August 2009, 00:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

For the 20-22 lac car, why are you limiting your options to diesel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks