Team-BHP - Key decision points for Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220 versus BMW 320D
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Key decision points for Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220 versus BMW 320D (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/68877-key-decision-points-audi-a4-versus-mercedes-c220-versus-bmw-320d.html)

I am on the last mile of making my decision to purchase one of the three - Audi A4 versus Mercedes C220

Would really appreciate advise on the following key decision points :

1. After sales, spares, maintenance, post purchase : Which one of them offers a superior/ worse after sales service? Any key issues being encountered by recent Audi A4 and the new C class owners? Any feed-back on durability?

2. Tyre(s) on Audi A4 and BMW 320 D - As some of the folks in the forum already may have experienced - The drive quality on a rough road for BMW 320 D seems poor. Even A4 is not great on a rough patch. A4's default is 17 inch alloys (Low profile) and BMW's is a run flat tyre - Will it significantly improve the drive quality on a rough patch if normal tyres were to be fitted on BMW and 16 inch alloy wheels on A4. Any experience on this?

Will be great if the members could share their experiences on these niche issues...

Unfortunately, the 320d is outclassed by the A4 & the C. The BMW is the smallest on the inside, has the stiffest ride quality and is the oldest car here.

Between the A4 & the C:

A4 : Wide range of engine options, balanced ride & handling, good looker, thin / inconsistent dealers, 4 year warranty coverage available. I am not a fan of their FWD cars though (Merc + BMW are rear wheel drive).

C Class : Stonking diesel engine (more powerful than the A4 2.0), spacious interiors, excellent ride quality, RWD, weird looking.

Neither car is a Toyota when it comes to outright reliability (BMW has the edge here). Part failures are inconsistent. The major disadvantage with Merc is their 2 year warranty, though I believe they are now offering 3 years on the C.

Test both and come back to update this thread.

@GTO. I test drove both C220 and Audi A4 2.0 (Diesel) - Several times last week. In alignment with your points - Audi drove well on the gurgaon delhi express way, but not so great in the internal rough roads of gurgaon. While Merc C220 had a smoother ride and felt slightly more powerful.

Indeed Audi looks much better than the Merc! Especially with the new head lights. Audi has also introduced new motorized morriors which collapse at a right angle (Just like BMW - I think 5 series) and a set of new LED tail lights. All of which mesmerizes you! I also felt that the standard sound system of the merc felt slightly better!. Merc now offers 3 year warranty whereas Audi is just 2 years warranty.

So, the decision at my end rests on getting some quick feed-back from people who have bought the audi and c class in the last 3 to 9 months - And understand the issues that they are facing. And which of the company's are being able to handle these issues better! Finally, I am also negotiating on price and package with both of them. I should be deciding by the end of next week. Once I decide, I will update this thread. Cheers!

It goes something like this:

Self driving: 320d. Best handling in it's class. Simple ECU remap can boost power if you are really power hungry. Stiff ride will improve significantly with regular tubeless tyres. Cheapest/hassle free to maintain thanks to BSI packs.

Chauffeur driven: C220. Best in class interior space and comfort tuned suspension. Most refined diesel engine of the lot.

Best of both worlds: A4. Feels the newest/youngest of the lot. Good interior space.Snob value ain't as high as the other two.

Folks : After a lot of test drives and evaluation, I finally decided to buy the Mercedes C220. I got retractable mirrors as part of the package. Also 3 years unlimited warranty. Will soon post some pictures.

Congrats ashishkashyap. Wish you many happy long drives!
Yes please, post some pics and also the reason as to what finally, tilted the balance in favour of C220 as against A4.

Congrats on the buy. A good car to be driven but not to drive.
Mention the on road price,free bees and loads of pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsagar (Post 1590446)
Congrats on the buy. A good car to be driven but not to drive.
Mention the on road price,free bees and loads of pics.

actually its the other way around. the c220 is pretty quick. and the back seat is a bit cramped.

congrats on the buy.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishkashyap (Post 1590011)
Folks : After a lot of test drives and evaluation, I finally decided to buy the Mercedes C220.

Congratulations !!

Quote:

I got retractable mirrors as part of the package. Also 3 years unlimited warranty. Will soon post some pictures.
Wait, what? Electrically retractable mirrors? How? Thought they weren't available. Or did you go for the Avantgarde.

Congrats on the torque machine! You owe us a detailed ownership report :)

Ashish - Congrats on the Merc 220 buy.

Did you get the sport grille ? I think they offer 2 kinds - the normal one and the sporty one.

Also did you get any disocunts / deals - end of the year kinds ?

Awaiting Pics !!

@shatrughna - Couple of points that tilted in the favor of C220. Better drive on rough roads. More power than A4 2.0 diesel. Better feel in the front- Bigger, more spacious. Music system sounds better. The new look is sporty, though not as sporty as the A4 or BMW - But close. The Agility control package is great for Indian roads. Personally I prefer the rear of merc versus A4 and BMW 3 series. 3 years warranty as against A4's 2 years.

@Ramsagar - I don't have a driver. I am self driving. I think cockpit rocks! The feel in the front is much bigger and better than cars in the same league. I got the auto retractable mirrors as part of the package and 3 years warranty. Will post the pictures soon

@flyingspur - I did not get avantgarde. Got mercedes to get the auto retractable mirrors placed on the C220 elegance itself. They have the kit. Recall the rolled some limited edition models few months ago, which had this feature by default. I think, they will soon be making this a standard feature. Lots of people have given them this feed-back.

@GTO - Thanks for your feed-back. It helped in making this tough decision. I was not an easy customer for A, B and M. Will share a full ownership report. Do you want me to do the same as a part of this thread?

@v kochar - I kept the original grill. Had an option for the sports grill at INR 20,000 extra. Chose to push them to give me auto retractable mirrors as part of the package plus 2+1= 3 years of warranty. Will publish pictures in a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishkashyap (Post 1592000)
Do you want me to do the same as a part of this thread?

A new thread + detailed ownership review would be great. We have plenty of C220 prospective owners who would benefit from your observations. Thanks!

Congrats ashish on your decision to buy Merc over BMW and Audi, I think you have taken the decision by your mind not from your heart. I personally think that Merc C220 is better in every respect compare to 320D or A4.

congrats on the new mercedes ashish, you are going to have a lot of fun driving that car

a lot of pictures please :)