Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 19:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Another problem of the RFT is that the it cannot be repaired and have to be replaced. ...plus u have to replace tyre anyways after 18k kms....which i think is costly and unreasonable
nimrod: You can switch to the normal tubeless radials. You get softer (may not be better) ride and also better servicability. RFTs are purely a matter of choice.

I'll share my experience with doing about 60K kms on my 530d. I still carry the runflats. Over the 2+ years of usage, trust me I have been more often in situations (like lonely roads, single lane state highways, odd hours...) where I would have not wanted to stop over and change a flat tyre. It was quite peaceful to have the thought of your car running on runflats. Himalayas/Badrinath etc happen very rarely. And when you have a destination like that on your map, you definately have reinforcements like a space saver, an additional wheel...

Runflats can be repaired like any other normal tubeless radial. Like any other normal tubeless radial, their servicability is affected once there is a cut or puncture. You do not replace your tyre 18k kms anyway. It depends upon the way they are driven. Just like any normal tubeless radial.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:16   #17

Beamer Boy. I would be greatful if could let me know what size , which company, and which place would be best to purchase the tubeless tyres. And is it possible to have 2 RFT and the other 2 as tubeless. Pls advise , as would really appreciate your help
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO....faced the same problem with the 525...On way back from Chandigarh..ran over a bad pothole...the rim of the tyre cut into the RFT...Luckily was just aroung 60 km from delhi so drove it back at a speed of 30 -60kmph...but replacement was quite a hassel...Can i replace the RFT with ordianry tubeless tyres? would it alter the ride quality ? and would it be ok for the suspension?
Yes, you can replace the RFT with normal tubeless tyres, quite a few owners are already running this setup. Also, it'll bring about a marked improvement in ride quality without any issues for the suspension.

Tubeless in the stock size can be sourced through all major dealers of Michelin/Yokohama in Delhi.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Beamer Boy. I would be greatful if could let me know what size , which company, and which place would be best to purchase the tubeless tyres. And is it possible to have 2 RFT and the other 2 as tubeless. Pls advise , as would really appreciate your help
Can't say for the X5 regarding size & company selling compatible tyre sizes. But this is how you can get your answer. Walk into your dealer's workshop with the chassis number of your car. There is a spec sheet with them called 'Wheel & Tyre combination'. It will give all the wheel (rim) & tyre combinations that will be compatible to with your X5. List down all the possible tyre sizes fitting to the rim that you have already got on your car. Once done, head to the local Michelin dealer. Simple!
Old 8th March 2010, 19:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

X5 with a space saver spare wheel

BMW has deleted the 7 seater option in the X5 and has added a space saver spare wheel in its place. Standard Tyres remain run flats. No idea about the spare wheel though.

Same style spare wheel is also there in the X6.

Here's the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma - BMW X5 - No spare wheel & Run-flats-dsc02405.jpg  

Old 15th March 2010, 10:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Deleting the 3rd row would drive some buyers away. They should have come up with a spare wheel mechanism thats below the rear of the car, similar to the one in the Fortuner.
Old 4th July 2012, 09:52   #22
BHPian

Re: Dilemma - BMW X5 - No spare wheel & Run-flats

The BMW sales guy told me that if there is a puncture in the run flats then either i can keep getting air pressure topped up and continue to use them until I find a BMW service centre or I can get the puncture repaired in the same way as that in a tubeless tyre. Is that true ?
Old 6th July 2012, 23:56   #23
BHPian

Yes Manuj. That works. Get a normal wick job done and the puncture repair lasts nearly forever. I can share this from experience. You can keep the emergency kit as is available from BMW. It comes with a pump and is handy in case there is a requirement and you do not find a place to re-inflate the tyre.

If going up country, I recommend you carry a space saver wheel.

Finally if the car is new, then it is covered by roadside assistance cover for two years. In case of a puncture, just find a nearby hotel and stay post logging a recovery request. Both the recovery and stay are paid by them.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Yes Manuj. That works. Get a normal wick job done and the puncture repair lasts nearly forever. I can share this from experience. You can keep the emergency kit as is available from BMW. It comes with a pump and is handy in case there is a requirement and you do not find a place to re-inflate the tyre.

Finally if the car is new, then it is covered by roadside assistance cover for two years. In case of a puncture, just find a nearby hotel and stay post logging a recovery request. Both the recovery and stay are paid by them.
Well its good that they provide such services but I still find the whole exercise to be pointless when they could just provide normal tubeless tyres with a spare and everybody is happier .
Old 8th July 2012, 14:51   #25
BHPian

I have an X5 5 seater and I have a spare wheel. It's an option on a 5 seater version of the X5
Old 24th July 2012, 01:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post

That is so very reassuring as my X1 also runs on runflats though it still provides the peace of mind considering that you dont have to get out of the car in the night and replace the tyres, but you can drive along till you find civilisation, as also rightly said how many times do you do a trip along the himalayas, when you can be rightly prepared for such a trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks