Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 09:31   #1

Price Advice on BMW 325i

Just wanted price advice on a 325i 2002 44K driven BMW.

What would one pay for the same?
Old 20th November 2009, 16:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An '02? That's an E46 import and, in my opinion, the best looking 3 series till date. Considering that the Indian 325i is available for <20 lakhs, and that the '02 would be a grey market 7 year old import, I'd say 8 - 9 lakhs. Depending on condition. Be sure to thoroughly check the paperwork. Any tax liabilities could become your burden.
Old 20th November 2009, 23:18   #3
BHPian

And yes, get the chassis number, get the VIN decoded from any of the dealers. Check if the chassis & aggregate numbers match with the one physically stamped on the engine gearbox etc.

There have been a lot of grey imports where the stampings & aggregates have been manipulated. With such cars, you will always have a difficulty in procuring parts.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
And yes, get the chassis number, get the VIN decoded from any of the dealers. Check if the chassis & aggregate numbers match with the one physically stamped on the engine gearbox etc.
Sensible point! Verifying the chassis / VIN numbers also helps in ascertaining whether the car indeed is a 325i. Too many rebadged imports (e.g. S280 badged as S500) on our roads.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An '02? That's an E46 import and, in my opinion, the best looking 3 series till date. Considering that the Indian 325i is available for <20 lakhs, and that the '02 would be a grey market 7 year old import, I'd say 8 - 9 lakhs. Depending on condition. Be sure to thoroughly check the paperwork. Any tax liabilities could become your burden.

Thanks for the message and advice.

I didnt understand the 325i at less than 20lakhs. The 325i, new is 37 lakhs right? the quote i have is for 12 lakhs.

I will check the paperwork. I am getting it from the dealer directly actually.

Could you elaborate the Chassis number point, I am a rookie in this business.

Regards
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitram View Post
Thanks for the message and advice.

I didnt understand the 325i at less than 20lakhs. The 325i, new is 37 lakhs right? the quote i have is for 12 lakhs.

I will check the paperwork. I am getting it from the dealer directly actually.

Could you elaborate the Chassis number point, I am a rookie in this business.

Regards
The new 325i comes to 42 Lakhs on road in Bombay. The quote you have is on the higher side as mentioned by GTO. You can get a 1995/96 BMW 5 series for 10 lakhs asking.

Please do check all paper work and also if possible get the VIN number or chassis number of the car and have it checked from an official dealer for year of manufacture of the car. Sorry just read your last point.

The Chassis number of the car is a plate that is screwed on the car just when you open the bonette. This contains a number that enables you to know the body stye and the date of manufacture of the car. For example if the dealer says the car is a 2002 model and the books also show 2002 import but if you check the chassis number with an official dealer and it shows a 2000 munufactured vehicle, the price drops further as it is then a 9 year old vehicle.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The new 325i comes to 42 Lakhs on road in Bombay. The quote you have is on the higher side as mentioned by GTO. You can get a 1995/96 BMW 5 series for 10 lakhs asking.

Please do check all paper work and also if possible get the VIN number or chassis number of the car and have it checked from an official dealer for year of manufacture of the car. Sorry just read your last point.

The Chassis number of the car is a plate that is screwed on the car just when you open the bonette. This contains a number that enables you to know the body stye and the date of manufacture of the car. For example if the dealer says the car is a 2002 model and the books also show 2002 import but if you check the chassis number with an official dealer and it shows a 2000 munufactured vehicle, the price drops further as it is then a 9 year old vehicle.
Thanks a ton for the explanation. As I mentioned I am going through the authorised dealer, so have asked him for the VIN number. Lets see.

Would a 44K mileage add to the 9 Lakhs suggested by you and make it closer to 12L. I am quite keen on this as you understand thanks for the help. its an awesome forum.
Old 24th November 2009, 01:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the explanation. As I mentioned I am going through the authorised dealer, so have asked him for the VIN number. Lets see.

Would a 44K mileage add to the 9 Lakhs suggested by you and make it closer to 12L. I am quite keen on this as you understand thanks for the help. its an awesome forum.

I suppose you are going through Navneet Motors as they had a couple of cars that had come up for resale. Ask him to check and let you know the date of manufacture of the car.
That makes it 5 year old and roughly 8500 km a year. No it does not work that way. Catch when the car came out new in 2002 it costed 40 lakhs. The minute it rolls one tire out of the showroom it drops 20% in value and ever year a similar figure. By now the car has lost more than 60% of its value. i am saying 9 lakhs on the whole. Give the guy your offer and relax. I can understand your keenness but you have to also remember an authorised dealer will charge more than the markt value but will pay far less. A dealer bought a 2006 bmw 530d for 21 lakhs and sold it on for 26 lakhs. This is the kind of margins i am talking off. Check secondhand car sites for similar model prices quoted and then decide on a figure to give.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just so that you have a price drop indication and what you should expect to pay for the 2002 model 325i. A January 2009 325i done 650 kms is quoted at Rs 32 lakhs. The deal according to me would be settled around 30 lakhs. This is from a dealership, Hope this helps in getting yourself one at a fair price.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:43   #10

Quote:

Could you elaborate the paperwork part?

Apart from the RC book, and Insurance Papers, anything else that I need to look for?
Old 26th November 2009, 01:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you elaborate the paperwork part?

Apart from the RC book, and Insurance Papers, anything else that I need to look for?
Besides the above you need to check the bill of entry and customs cleared papers. This is basically a paper from the customs showing the valuation (invoice amount) of the car and the amount of duty payed for it. It is stamped and signed by the Head of customs and allows you to register the car. If these papers are not there then the liability of any duty amount pending is yours with the penalty. You should also check if the car is one time tax payed, or when was the last tax payed.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:59   #12
evo
BHPian

Quote:
An '02? That's an E46 import and, in my opinion, the best looking 3 series till date.
(OT) +1 to that! It is indeed the best looking three ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks