Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 19:25   #1
BHPian

The best sports coupe under 90lacs-M3 vs 911carerra vs Nissan350z

Hi bhpians ,this is my first official new thread here at team bhp.I wanted a help from all the owners and experienced enthusiasts about buying a good sports car under 90 lacs.I have short listed mainly the following:

1.BMW M3
2.PORSCHE 911 CAYMAN S / CARERRA
3.NISSAN 370Z
4.MERCEDES SL CLASS
5. AUDI TTS RS

-i have been in a serious dilemma for the past 5 months and am not able to select.Infact my sole purpose of joinig tem-bhp was to make decision that i would not regret for atleast 3 years.
-I want the hottest looks,state of art technological features and perfomance to die for.

Thanks all
thunderV12
Old 18th March 2010, 21:30   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderV12 View Post
Hi bhpians ,this is my first official new thread here at team bhp.I wanted a help from all the owners and experienced enthusiasts about buying a good sports car under 90 lacs.I have short listed mainly the following:

1.BMW M3
3.NISSAN 370Z
4.MERCEDES SL CLASS
5. AUDI TTS RS

-i have been in a serious dilemma for the past 5 months and am not able to select.Infact my sole purpose of joinig tem-bhp was to make decision that i would not regret for atleast 3 years.
-I want the hottest looks,state of art technological features and perfomance to die for.

Thanks all
thunderV12
Undoubtly a Porsche - go for the 911 Carrera if you can !!
Old 18th March 2010, 21:39   #3
BHPian

Had I been in your position and had had the same criteria - Looks and performance - I'd have gone either for the Porsche or the Audi.

Oh forget the Audi, get the Porsche.

Last edited by esteemer : 18th March 2010 at 21:40.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dude, I see 'lambo' written in your profile! which one do you own?
Old 19th March 2010, 01:17   #5
BHPian

Go anything other than nissan 370 . Unless the "Z" shape lights impresses you. I would go for SL given choices . However porsche is porsche at the end of the day . Cant get away with that .

Last edited by Car-e-ok : 19th March 2010 at 01:21.
Old 19th March 2010, 01:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey man,

1st of all, the Cayman is not a 911 at all. The Cayman is a midengined car, while the 911 is rear engined.

Also, I think in India no matter which of these you choose, you will look cool. Also, you rarely will be able to access much of their true performance abilities, unless you have a proper track.

Technologically, the best cars would be the BMW M3 and the Porsche 911( even though its engine is in the wrong place). If the SL has to compete you have to go in for the crazy SL600 with its 500hp/800nm V12.

My personal choice would be the BMW, as in ,my opinion it is a good compromise between outright speed and good touring ability.
Old 19th March 2010, 09:19   #7
BHPian

@Jayabusa..-yeah man i've just bought it,the gallardo lp 560-4,jus luv the front lights,the engine and the louder than the loudest sound.Some days back i was at delhi k market and revved it and guess wat,alarms of 3 cars standin next ran out..lol.Thats the best experience till now hahaha.

@Julupani..-yeah bro. i know cayman isnt a 911,just wrote it by mistake.I wrote 911 for carerra.yeah i myself am leaned towards m3.

Guys i think that i should consider only bmw m3 and carerra.the m3 has one of the most advanced high revving engines,goes fast on corners and accelerates damn fast with 2 seats at the back for family.wat say??
Attached Thumbnails
The best sports coupe under 90lacs-M3 vs 911carerra vs Nissan350z-bmwm3concept1big.jpg  

The best sports coupe under 90lacs-M3 vs 911carerra vs Nissan350z-2009porsche911carreraspicture1.jpg  

Old 19th March 2010, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:

1.BMW M3
3.NISSAN 370Z
4.MERCEDES SL CLASS
5. AUDI TTS RS

Thanks all
thunderV12
Congrats on you purchasing the gallardo. Is it a new purchase? kindly do post the pictures of the same.

Regarding the choice of your next car, i would go either for the 911 or the m3. But I would be more inclined towards the porshe, since porsche is a porshe afterall , and has a great snob value. But if you are one who doesnt want to flaunt your car, then m3 is a great sleeper car. A absolute brute in a tuxedo types.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:16   #9
BHPian

@rotorhead ...yeah sure.even i think so.wat about the performance,i think the m3 is faster and cheaper so more value for money??how much the carrera costs btw?

How do you compare with c63 amg in terms of performance and cost.But i dont like the sedan styling..
Old 19th March 2010, 12:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
@rotorhead ...yeah sure.even i think so.wat about the performance,i think the m3 is faster and cheaper so more value for money??how much the carrera costs btw?

How do you compare with c63 amg in terms of performance and cost.But i dont like the sedan styling..
If you are looking at the VFM factor mainly then the m3 beats everthing else hands down with its outstanding performance, handling , the scope for further mods and sheer practicality on indian roads. But then at that price range, most people look for the additional snob value after having spent so much on a car and thats where the porshe and the mercs step in with their high snob factor.

I would request you to get in touch with experts such as ecksreturns and mlcarrera who will be able to help you better understand and judge these cars and help you more precisely with your next purchase.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:51   #11
BHPian

Congrats for the Lambo!!

I think if you are spending so much money then you need to decide what do you exactly want from the cars you have shortlisted. The M3 is a brute with its high revving 4L V8 and excellent handling. However the 911 Carrera is in a league of its own. The M3 can get lost in the crowd but the 911 wont. With the Carrera you can also opt for the 4WD version. Also for the people who know their cars, both have great snob value, though I know thats not the reason you are buying these cars for.

The current Porsche 911 is better looking then the previous version however it is sill difficult to tell them apart. Also nothing comes close to the 911 in terms of handling and the experience it offers, though the M3 is more powerful by 35 BHP.

At the end of the day, both are great cars for the money. If you want 4 people to sit slightly comfortably then its the M3. The 911 is pretty much useless in this regard.

As far as looks go both are great looking but for me the Porsche wins. If you decide to buy the 911 go for the S version.

The 911 can he a little tough to handle in tricky situations because of the engine placement but Porsche has sorted this out and has become a master in rear engined cars but still its always there in the back of the mind.

The M3 is front engined rear wheel drive car and I am sure you will not face any issues with it and will give you confidence to push it and is also slightly forgiving in corners.

If you like straight line speed, you already have the lambo for that, then it doesnt matter between the two. In corners the 911 is sublime.

In the end, which ever car use choose, you will be one happy dude!!!!

Happy shopping!!
Old 19th March 2010, 16:44   #12
BHPian

The C63 is worth a dekko. Point to point the C63 is a close competitor to the m3 in terms of power and handling, but I suppose its a wee bit more costlier than the m3 and believe it drinks more than the m3. But in my personal opinion the C63 is a much better looker than the m3, but personally my choice is the m3 amongst the two anytime.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:59   #13
BHPian

Hey doesnt a Nissan GTR cost like the same?? Its worth a look IMHO.
Otherwise M3 all the way. And you always have ecks to tell you how to make it go faster and faster.
Old 20th March 2010, 04:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dont really believe in the a Porsche is a Porsche idea. They are stuck with the 911. It doesnt really look stunning to me personally. Though the M3 isnt instantly recognizable as a sports car, I still would pick it over the 911. I dont think the C63 is as good handling a car as the M3, which is a much more sorted out handler.

As for the 911, great car on all fronts, has been refined for almost half a century now. Though at your budget, you will only get the lower end models. As even the Carrera S will overshoot your budget by about 10-15lacs. The modern 911s dont really need the 4wd, so that's not much of an issue. But without an S spec engine you will be almost 70bhp down on the M3s 414bhp and even with the S spec engine you will still be down about 30hp. This is when the standard spec base 911 is still about 5lac costlier than the M3.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:40   #15
BHPian

So u all guyz mean to say that a base carrera 911 cost about 1cr.thats bloody expensive,i would buy an m6 for that much.I think the m3 costs about 73L(coupe with cbf rrof)..I have messaged ecks but no reply till now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks