Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
Just wait a few months for the ......PHAETON!

I read somewhere on this forum that its coming in for about 40L or so.
It's a fantastic over-engineered piece of German automotive excellence, and is already available here (a VW dealer will take your order for it) but it's nowhere close to 40L. Far, far beyond.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
It's a fantastic over-engineered piece of German automotive excellence, and is already available here (a VW dealer will take your order for it) but it's nowhere close to 40L. Far, far beyond.
Yes, but the price now is about 80 lakh or something, because it is CBU, whereas the proposal now is to assemble them here, hence the lower cost. The guy who owned the white long-wheelbase phaeton paid a S***-load for it in 2004. It was a 2003 model. It was completely imported.
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:48   #33

Firstly thanks for letting me know that the spares of Jaguar might not be so easy to get. I was under the impression, that since TATA owns it, they might be very easy to get. I would appreciate views of fellow members here who own a Jaguar. This car is what has caught my attention, from all the others mentioned here. I don't mind spending a bit more for it, as I will not buy a car everyday.

I'm not too much into SUVs. So would not want to look at them. They seem to bulky to drive around Mumbai.

Dragstar, from a train I didn't move to a Rs. 10 lakh car, but to a Zen, then Santro. It is a long story and am not sure if this is the right place to talk about such things as this forum is meant only for cars.

I used to live in Borivali, but have shifted to Khar sometime ago. I agree with you that the area also makes an impact. But a Benz, BMW or Audi will always have a luxury tag either in Kensington, London or Khar or Borivali.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Yup, that's a label right there. If I didn't have the CE I would still have made the exact same comment in the exact same way, because a Merc / Beemer / Audi not attracting attention because it's too common is quite a silly statement to make. And given that the comment wasn't directed at you, it was none of your business to get in there and accuse me of being sensitive because of owning one. So stop giving me that crap and get on with it if you have something significant to contribute.
Completely agree with Flyingspur. There might be many BMW/Audi's/ Mercs but these cars still attract attention. People tend to look and wonder who is behind the wheel.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:09   #35
BHPian

@wadhwa,

Wowie from a city to a 50L car, that is a a lot to "write off" in depreciation man.

Go for one which suits your daily use and your social stature.

From the Padmini and Amby days, India has surely come a long way.

Cheers to you mate & all the best.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Let us not turn this into a "you know what" the gent just wants suggestions on what "he should buy"

Peace gentlemen

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, agree with Ricky_63. Lets not turn wadhwa's thread into something unrelated.

@flyingspur, I understand that we are all pretty sentimental about our cars, be it a Beemer or Alto. But with the booming economy and spending-power today, a BMW or Benz is not as exclusive as it was once. During a short city drive today, I saw 2 S-classes and a 2-seater Merc (not sure what the model is called). And Chennai has its fair share of Mercs/BMWs.

But hey, it still is exclusive to plonk down 30 big ones or more for a Beemer or a Merc. So..
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@flyingspur, I understand that we are all pretty sentimental about our cars, be it a Beemer or Alto. But with the booming economy and spending-power today, a BMW or Benz is not as exclusive as it was once. During a short city drive today, I saw 2 S-classes and a 2-seater Merc (not sure what the model is called). And Chennai has its fair share of Mercs/BMWs.
Totally agree. Just got back from the F10 launch event, and man... the F02 7's were out in full show !! They've sold exceedingly well. By the way, while on the topic, I'm a little disappointed with the F10. Looks... undramatic. Bland, maybe.

I'm still of the opinion that the Volvo S80 Diesel is the best answer to this thread.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:18   #39

Flyingspur and my other friends here who suggested the Volvo S80, as mentioned I somehow don't like the Volvo. I have decided on the Jaguar XF, am am waiting for some advice on it, before I buy it.

It seems there isn't anyone here owning the Jaguar? Would like some feedback from an actual owner.
Old 4th May 2010, 19:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, there is one tbhp-ian from Chennai (handle - jagxf) who has a Jag. You could PM him for details.
Old 4th May 2010, 19:28   #41
BHPian

Welcome to the forum (since this happens to be your intro thread as well).
Very interesting ask here - 50 L car that er.. 'does not speak for itself' !

Since you dont like the Volvo (which fits your need to the T) do seriously think about the VW Phaeton. As understated, classy and one of the finest engineered pieces.

Anyone here knows the current price of this ? The model details are present in the VW India site.

Am sorry to say but a Jag is not something that is any low 'high profile' than the beemers or the mercs. More so than not.

Or alternately you can think about the Nissans (Teana or the Xtrail) for exclusivity.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Welcome to the forum (since this happens to be your intro thread as well).
Very interesting ask here - 50 L car that er.. 'does not speak for itself' !

Since you dont like the Volvo (which fits your need to the T) do seriously think about the VW Phaeton. As understated, classy and one of the finest engineered pieces.

Anyone here knows the current price of this ? The model details are present in the VW India site.

Am sorry to say but a Jag is not something that is any low 'high profile' than the beemers or the mercs. More so than not.

Or alternately you can think about the Nissans (Teana or the Xtrail) for exclusivity.
The VW Phaeton is a competitor to the Audi A8 , the S and the 7 series and nowhere near 50 lakh. Last I heard it was around 80 big ones.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:41   #43
BHPian

OMG. You have shot up you budget from 50L to 90L in one go and want a SIMPLE JAGUAR.
Price in Mumbai OTR
Jaguar XF V8 : 72L
Jaguar XF R V8 : 90L

I'm sure there is no way you can't get unnoticed.
Anyways all the best.

Last edited by Praveen1 : 6th May 2010 at 17:43.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Jags depreciate faster (more like a brick falling off a building) and Jags are not known to be every day cars/companions to work/commute. They are still known to need more attention and money for upkeep compared to peers, not to mention nothing subtle about them as they are being bought for the "to be different factor" as opposed to its peers in India now and subtleties.

If you want subtle go for Lexus/Infinity - Jaguars/Maser's etc are more known as flamboyent in some parts (US) and both (stately/flam) in UK/EU. I would rather stick to the generic German stuff peace of mind on backup, you can roam anywhere not mention you are brand new to this category therefore are in transition = may have value system cooping issues in your ownership experience. Most people I know with similar background like yours have gone for safe route E class hope this is helpful and any not unsolicited cheers.

Last edited by canonball : 7th May 2010 at 10:30.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:12   #45

Made Mistake

Okay, I want to really thank fellow Team BHPians on discouraging me from going in for the Jaguar. I ever got a few private messages, explaining things to me. Really thank you guys.

My brother in London, just told me that the Jaguar was being used by the PM of UK and is not that low key a car, as I thought it to be and it might not be the right car for me, as I am moving from a Honda City.

So maybe I guess I will have to stick with a Benz E-Class as suggested, as it seems there are so many so nobody will really bother noticing me.

I do not know if I should ask this here, but is it possible that someone buys such a car and he starts getting "calls" from the wrong type of people? This is my main concern. I am sure you might be understanding, what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks