Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Used Honda, Which one?

I am planning to sell my Elantra CRDi, it still feels and drives like a new car but i want a change. I plan to buy a new Diesel Automatic car in Jan-feb 2011, most probably a Skoda Laura.

Now for these 7-8 months i want a used car. All the cars i get to drive are diesels and for a change i want to own a Petrol car for this time period, i know it will be expensive for my kind of daily usage. My budget 8-9L.

I have started the hunt for a showroom condition Civic or Accord (type 3 with triangular lights). I am open to both MT and AT options depending on the condition of the car. Accord V6 is absolutely the best car available in this budget but ill go bankrupt with that kind of FE.

I came across an excellent condition All new Honda City AT 2008 12000kms done, asking 7.3L. I liked this car but i don't want to downgrade, i want a similar condition Civic or Accord.

1. Anything specific to look for while checking out the cars?
  2. I am absolutely clueless about the resale prices of these cars, What should i expect?
  3. How much negotiation is possible at Honda pre-used?
All kind of suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:25   #2
BHPian

Why don't you try to get a CRV in good condition, it'll be a change from driving sedans, and you'll love the tall seating.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was offered a 2008 Civic V M/T for 8.5L (dealer price). Seemed to be in decent condition. Body had some scratches, but no dents as such.

You should easily get a 2-3yr old Civic in good condition within your budget. Also when and if you sell after a year, you should not suffer too much of a loss and should have ready buyers.

Edit: ie of course, presuming you can part with the Civic after driving it for 7-8 months

Last edited by shuvc : 22nd May 2010 at 10:51.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly if you plan to use the car for another 7-8 months only why do you want a change? If your Elantra is good shape then why not keep it until you get a new car?
If you are sure you want to sell the elantra and get another car then a used civic would be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I was offered a 2008 Civic V M/T for 8.5L (dealer price). Seemed to be in decent condition. Body had some scratches, but no dents as such.

You should easily get a 2-3yr old Civic in good condition within your budget. Also when and if you sell after a year, you should not suffer too much of a loss and should have ready buyers.
Correctly said, Also Civics don't cost an arm and leg to maintain. They aren't as expensive to maintain as an Accord.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get a brand new Honda City for that price or even lower since you are based in Gurgaon and it has one of the lowest OTR prices

Or if you want a higher segment - Get a Honda Civic 2007 or 2008 for 6 - 7 Lacs.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

IMO if you are selling after a year, forget the accord. look at a civic for about 7-8 lacs and spend a little bit on getting it into showroom condition. the resale wont take much of a hit after a year.

again this is purely IMO.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a 2007 Civic at Honda Autoterrace done 50,000kms, the bodywork was perfect but the car was in bad shape. The Interiors were worn out and stinking, the steering wheel and gearknob were suggesting a much higher mileage, there were vibrations seeping in cabin at idle. I did not even drive the car. I'll look for better cars this week.

After a look at this car i concluded even the Honda dealers cannot be trusted with the odo mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Why don't you try to get a CRV in good condition, it'll be a change from driving sedans, and you'll love the tall seating.
I am not interested in a SUV, i am looking for a low slung car, preferably AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Edit: ie of course, presuming you can part with the Civic after driving it for 7-8 months
Hi Shuvc, I have checked some Honda dealers here in Delhi, nobody has a car of the condition you have described.

I am looking for a used car so that i don't suffer huge depreciation losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Firstly if you plan to use the car for another 7-8 months only why do you want a change? If your Elantra is good shape then why not keep it until you get a new car?
If you are sure you want to sell the elantra and get another car then a used civic would be the best.

Correctly said, Also Civics don't cost an arm and leg to maintain. They aren't as expensive to maintain as an Accord.
I know retaining Elantra is the wisest option, but sometimes i listen to my heart, I don't just keep cars just for transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Get a brand new Honda City for that price or even lower since you are based in Gurgaon and it has one of the lowest OTR prices

Or if you want a higher segment - Get a Honda Civic 2007 or 2008 for 6 - 7 Lacs.
I'll be suffering huge losses when i sell the car after some 6-7 months. Moving from an Elantra to ANHC would be a downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
IMO if you are selling after a year, forget the accord. look at a civic for about 7-8 lacs and spend a little bit on getting it into showroom condition. the resale wont take much of a hit after a year.

again this is purely IMO.
I am focussing currently on Civic, ill go in for Accord only if i find some exceptional car.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

ANHC Automatic

I checked out the Honda City AT i mentioned in post#1 today, i even drove it for ~20kms. This car has done 16000kms and is a late 2008 model, this car has the proper service record and comes with warranty.

The Engine and AT gearbox combination is excellent, coupled with the very light steering this car is a dream to drive in traffic and has performance when asked for. I managed good 14-15kpl during my drive. The Ride is poor and steering over assisted with little feel and feedback.

I have decided to keep this car as an option.

Used Honda, Which one?-ct.jpg
The alloys are not my taste and so are the thickly padded fake leather seat covers, the good part about having seat covers is when i'll remove the covers ill get brand new OE seats.

What do you say guys?
Old 24th May 2010, 00:40   #9
BHPian

Retain the Elantra, Pete it. You ll have a heck of a ride.
The depreciation over 7-8 Months is simply not worth it.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:57   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anshuman,

1. If your Elantra doesn't have any problems, keep it. You only need to drive her for another 8 months anyways. Use the money saved toward Laura Mods (of which there are plenty ).

2. If you still want to change, don't buy a used car for 7 - 8 lakhs. The newer the car (the more you pay), the more you lose. Typically, cars depreciate the most in their 1st - 3rd years. Best to buy a 5+ year old City / Corolla for 4 - 5 lakhs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks