Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Used premium purchase?

Hey!!
I am utterly confused even after months of research. I am sure I can use some advice.
I am 21. I love driving. I seldom drive fast but only on empty stretches.
I have been looking for a used example of a premium car. Luckily I have come across a used Audi A4 3.0tdi, yes, 3.0tdi though there aren't many.
I haven't been quoted the price yet nor have I seen it.
Also, there is the BMW 330i. Is it possible to get one in the used car market this early???????
Both are amazing cars, I'd call them sport sedans.
On one hand you have the humongous torque of the audi, on the other you have the beautiful exhaust note and rev happy engine of the beemer.
I dont care about the fuel economy since I'd be diving them only on weekends or late nights.
But considering the fuel quality in India, I dont think I will get the best out the 3.0l straight six whereas normal diesel works for the audi.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

dang- You're right the 3.0TDi makes most sense. The 330i would require 97 octane to get optimum performance out, besides it will be extremely hard to find it in the used car market already.

Besides, with the diesel you can easily remap/chip it to churn out even some sheer maaaaadness from that 3L engine.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:46   #3
BHPian

Love driving - One answer for your needs - BMW
However the 330 I may not be too practical, a diesel Audi or BMW would be better suited to our fuel conditions.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An Audi A4 3.0 TDi is an outstanding machine, though a rare breed. If you've found one used, buy it (even if at a premium). Alternatively, you should also be on the lookout for the Audi A4 3.2 FSI. Few cars sold in India match up to the sheer driving pleasure.

From the BMW stable, the 330i will take another 2 - 3 years before hitting the used market. The car has, after all, only just been launched. You might want to consider used E60 530ds instead.

Good luck with the search; do update us once you find your high performing steed.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

The was a Audi 3.2 FSI for sale in Mumbai in about couple of weeks back in the Times Zigwheels section. Check the epaper of TOI (Mumbai edition).
Old 16th June 2010, 13:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An Audi A4 3.0 TDi is an outstanding machine, though a rare breed. If you've found one used, buy it (even if at a premium). Alternatively, you should also be on the lookout for the Audi A4 3.2 FSI. Few cars sold in India match up to the sheer driving pleasure.

From the BMW stable, the 330i will take another 2 - 3 years before hitting the used market. The car has, after all, only just been launched. You might want to consider used E60 530ds instead.

Good luck with the search; do update us once you find your high performing steed.
Thanks.
I would have bought the 3.2 fsi in a heartbeat, had it been a 2010 model, i.e the one with the rear LEDs.
The car should be in the 30L bracket. Considering this, the 530d is a bit dicey.
I still have a few months before taking my decision.
And what do you make of the A4 2.0tfsi???
It should be cheaper and has more than decent punch.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:33   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang.mickey View Post
I would have bought the 3.2 fsi in a heartbeat, had it been a 2010 model, i.e the one with the rear LEDs.
The 2010 A4 3.2 FSI does NOT have the adjustable drive (comfort / sport modes). What would you rather have? A flexible suspension or new LEDs?

Either ways, since you want to buy used, its a little optimistic to restrict yourself only to 2010 cars. Not impossible, but very difficult to find someone parting with his car in 6 months of ownership.

Quote:
The car should be in the 30L bracket. Considering this, the 530d is a bit dicey.
Keep looking. You might get some early model 530ds for well within your budget.

How much is the asking on the A4 3.0 TDi you checked out? If I were you, that's the deal I'd be pulling right now.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2010 A4 3.2 FSI does NOT have the adjustable drive (comfort / sport modes). What would you rather have? A flexible suspension or new LEDs?

Either ways, since you want to buy used, its a little optimistic to restrict yourself only to 2010 cars. Not impossible, but very difficult to find someone parting with his car in 6 months of ownership.

Keep looking. You might get some early model 530ds for well within your budget.

How much is the asking on the A4 3.0 TDi you checked out? If I were you, that's the deal I'd be pulling right now.
I wouldn't say it is difficult to find a 6 month used car.
Here in delhi, there are plenty of 320Ds retailing for as low as 24-25L depending upon their condition.
My friend bought a February 2009 320d highline in october for 26L.
As for the 3.0tdi, I still haven't been quoted the price, nor have I been given an idea.
I'll put it in my agenda and perhaps have a look this week and probably a test drive.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang.mickey View Post
I wouldn't say it is difficult to find a 6 month used car.
Here in delhi, there are plenty of 320Ds retailing for as low as 24-25L depending upon their condition.
My friend bought a February 2009 320d highline in october for 26L.
Your friend brought the car when there was no CE on the 320D. Hence the price. Now it would be way less. Thanks to the CE.
24-25 is not a great deal. You could as well buy a new 320D CE for 28ish on road in Delhi.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:07   #10
BHPian

mickey go for the audi 3.0 TDI. Thats the car you would want to drive with breathtaking acceleration, 4x4 handling, amazing looks, Bang & Olufsen sound system & diesel economy as well as torque. What else you need mate?
Old 17th June 2010, 16:41   #11
BHPian

a used A4 3.0TDi? No reason for second thoughts on that one! BUY IT! Its a great car and as GTO said the variable suspension is a plus! Considering you're talking about late night/ weekend drives - that sports suspension will be great!

The 2.0 Tfsi vs 3.2 tsfi - There is negligible difference between 0-120 but thereafter it is evident you're dealing with a monster. Since you said the decison is a few months away, send me a PM when you're ready to decide. I might just be letting go of my 2.0tfsi in favor of the 530d.

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 17th June 2010 at 16:44.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Mickey,

Why not consider a used 525d? You could also consider a 325i if you want Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks