Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 10:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help with buying - Mercedes C-class vs. BMW 3-series vs. Audi A-4

Wait for the revised C Class. All the good bits of the E class are in it. ie interior, features etc
Old 25th March 2011, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes C-class vs BMW 3-series vs Audi A4

A few points I thought worthy of mention:

1. As you know, buying a used car in India is VERY different from buying used in the US. European used cars are not that easy to live with, given their exorbitant maintenance costs and prohibitive spare parts. Especially beyond the warranty period, you are inviting big trouble unless you know a trusted independent workshop that can handle the complex electronickery of these vehicles. If you must, try looking for a 2-year old E90 / E60 with 2-3 years of BSI left. You'll save a good amount of dough upfront AND won't have to worry about maintenance costs for a while.

2. You're moving up from an Accord. Essentially, size-wise, you're moving DOWN when it comes to exterior dimensions and interior space. This segment is more comparable to the Civic / Corolla segment in that regard. If you are looking for comfort, neither of these is going to keep you AS happy, although you can easily learn to live with it. Comfort wise, the C-Class is your best bet, no doubt. Most comfortable ride and spacious interiors. A bit dull to drive and live with, IMO.

3. I would avoid paperwork as far as possible. I suggest you drop your ambitious plan to get the vehicle now and then re-register / transfer to Bangalore. The system has the supreme ability to drive you absolutely mad and you will probably start taking the bus.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 00:50   #18

Thank you all for your candid views/comments and advice - greatly appreciated. I decided to wait till I moved to Bangalore before buying anything. I am now looking around in Bangalore at both new and used options and trying to figure out the market first. I am not in a great hurry since my transition is not complete yet and I am shuttling between the UK and India so I can afford to wait.

Are there any specific dealerships in Bangalore to visit and check out to see if there are any used editions? Conversely are there any to avoid?

Also, I've heard even dealerships mess with the mile-count etc. and you could end up with a dud-piece.

FlyingSpur - with reference to your comment below - what is an E90/E60? I confess I have little knowledge in these matters so please bear with me, ignorant as I am.

>> 1. As you know, buying a used car in India is VERY different from buying used in the US. European used cars are not that easy to live with, given their exorbitant maintenance costs and prohibitive spare parts. Especially beyond the warranty period, you are inviting big trouble unless you know a trusted independent workshop that can handle the complex electronickery of these vehicles. If you must, try looking for a 2-year old E90 / E60 with 2-3 years of BSI left. You'll save a good amount of dough upfront AND won't have to worry about maintenance costs for a while.

Thank you all again - appreciate the feedback, advice and views.

Best wishes,
SR
Old 20th April 2011, 01:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

SR,

Road tax in Bangalore is nearly 20% for these cars! The used car market for this segment is pretty much non existent with very limited choice and super fancy expectations from the seller.

E90 = current BMW 3-series, E60 = prev gen BMW 5-series
Old 21st April 2011, 22:25   #20

Androdev

Thanks for the note and clarification - yes the 20% tax in B'lore is criminal!!! Also, thank you for clarifying the point on the E60/90. I guess I will do some more research before buying anything.

I have a separate question on a Honda Accord that I saw today with a friend and will start a thread about this separately.

Thanks guys for all the input so far - very helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks