Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Re: New Car in US for around $25k

If your plan includes selling the car eventually, take Sonata out of your list. Hyundai has got poor resale value due to very high depreciation. Check out the prices of 1 year old sonatas on Kelley blue book and you will get an idea.
Narrow down your search by category. Do you need a mid size car or a compact. For your budget, you will get a fully loaded new compact sedan (civic, corolla, jetta etc) with all bells and whistles. But if you want a midsize you will have to settle for mid level variants.
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmmm... this is surprising. none of the members recommended a used Merc/BMW/Audi? How bad it can be to own a used BMW 328i there? I mean, it is certainly way too expensive in India to own and it would be sad not being able to own in USA as well!

With 4yr standard warranty + 2yr extended warranty option can it be such a terrible thing to buy say 2008 BMW 328i for $23-25K? Obviously there are better cars than 328i but if I am camped in USA I would certainly be attempting to own one of these brands. I agree Honda* cars make better sense but I was expecting at least couple of members would favour the used-German option

If BMW is too loud, a car like VW EOS should be good fun!
Old 21st March 2011, 21:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

If BMW is too loud, a car like VW EOS should be good fun!
I've heard a lot of bad reviews on the VW EOS, particularly with its leaky roof.

We've got the older Acura TL and the Lexus IS 250 (both 2wd), and both are excellent cars. They are obviously a little more on the expensive side to maintain. But again, we've never had any major problems with both cars so far (touchwood ).

I don't like the looks of the 2010/2011 TL's (or the TSX for that matter). I think they're butt ugly. But that's just my opinion...

Last edited by majorpayne : 21st March 2011 at 21:28.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Hyundai Sonata. I have driven it for couple of months and it does what it is supposed to do. Freeway MPG reads 34 sometimes and city reads around 24. If you or your brother can do away with the cheap brand (Hyundai in US) then its a pretty good car. I have not driven in it on snow though. I'd prefer the heavier Tauras over the Sonata. Please check how much the Ford Tauras retails for in US. Out of the 2 , in 25K$, I'd take the Tauras anyday.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:13   #20
BHPian

I hope that the OP gives us feedback on his/her eventual decision.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:07   #21
BHPian

I would suggest looking for a Certified Pre-Owned BMW with the maintenance plan. The maintenance plan is only 2k for 100,000 miles or 3 years (whichever comes first). This is very important..always opt for the maintenance plan. Saved me a lot of money.

I bought a CPO BMW 330CI ZHP. All my maintenance costs were taken care of. And I used to race at an auto club with the car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks