Team-BHP - MR 2, FTO or Celica? ('92-97)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   MR 2, FTO or Celica? ('92-97) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/96950-mr-2-fto-celica-92-97-a.html)

Guys, any suggestions on deciding between a Toyota MR 2 (2nd Gen, T Bar) Mitsu FTo ('95 onwards) or a Celica. The reason is so few cars are avaliable. Anyone looking to sell a well maintained MR2 or FTO please let me know!!

There is a MR2 for sale in the team-bhp classifields.

As you said, there are very few specimen of the three cars available in the first place. So, it's not really like you will be spoiled for choice. I would recommend you to pick up whichever of the three you find is well-maintained, has a clean history & paperwork.

Model specific comments : MR2 (mid-engine, Toyota longevity, turbo version is Q-U-I-C-K, N/A is okay) for me, followed by the Celica (beautiful balance, heck of a lot of fun to drive). Don't overlook the Mitsu 3000 GTs, though they are even rarer. What's the maximum you are willing to spend?

PLEASE BE WARY OF THE HISTORY OF THESE CARS! Most of them have evaded taxes and are on the list for penalties! just a warning!

@ GTO> I am ok spending upto 10L for a great car..though I hear most MR2's ( I have located 2 in Delhi) for about 6-7L...there is one in the classifieds for 12L which looks way too high. FTO's look nice but I hear performance is not 2 great.
Do let me know if you know anyone selling in Mumbai. Pls PM me.
Thanks!!

how about buying 07 civic and mod it!what about the availability of parts of celica or mr2?wont it be pain to maintain?afterall these are 10-15 years old cars.

No expert here. But would go with the celica. Like the looks.
Subject to condition, history etc.
Which one are you leaning towards?

Guys...have also come across a '99 Mitsu GTO/3000GT..which seems enticing..more pricey..hear hard to maintan though..am leaning towards the FTO or Mitsu GTO (though it seems to be not the turbo version)...any suggestions..

Hi, I have located a decent FTO ('96, 2000 cc V6, semi-auto) but it has run over 100k kms...papers look Okay..MH01 regd in the seller's name....is it worth it to but it for a weekend car? how much should I be paying? Should I still scout around for an MR2 (turbos are hard to find)

Did you check for older accord coupes, civic hatches. If are able and willing to plonk in a H22 or B16 respectively, these might keep you more wallet happy + it wont shock you for part replacements, etc. The 300GT NA stock 0-100 will be in the range of 7.5 - 8 seconds which is not super-fast compared to modern sedans. Agreed that the looks are timeless and there is an aura of driving one.

Majority of the buyers selling such vehicles sell it because they wont want to live more with the upkeep costs OR if the vehicle is clean, the prices quoted are exorbitant.

I have heard of a Celica GT which is up for sale ; all wheel drive 2 litre turbo charged engine like the MR2; if you are interested I'll check if still available

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish69 (Post 2254246)
@ GTO> I am ok spending upto 10L for a great car..though I hear most MR2's ( I have located 2 in Delhi) for about 6-7L...there is one in the classifieds for 12L which looks way too high. FTO's look nice but I hear performance is not 2 great.
Do let me know if you know anyone selling in Mumbai. Pls PM me.
Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by adilkhan5 (Post 2261084)
I have heard of a Celica GT which is up for sale ; all wheel drive 2 litre turbo charged engine like the MR2; if you are interested I'll check if still available

Hey do let me know about the Celica...please PM me..I quoted 6L for the FTO but the seller wants more...

Folks..finally bought the FTO (All the MR2's were too used and abused)...lets see what the 2.0L NIVEC motor can do...car will go for a complete makeover..

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish69
Folks..finally bought the FTO (All the MR2's were too used and abused)...lets see what the 2.0L NIVEC motor can do...car will go for a complete makeover..

Congratulations! do post some pics soon. A before and after will be nice too

hi congratulations, seen a grey one up for grabs, with a south mumbai dealer. Dunno if you bought that very car?drive safe