Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 15:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help my friend decide between Evo X and others

Hey all

I got a call from my friend asking me to help choose his car. He plans on buying the Evo X but there are a few aprehensions.

He is getting the delivery in 15 days. From Chennai to chandigarh. Any colour choice. The only problem is that he feels its not quite worth spending extra 30 lakh on a 20 lakh worth car, but if the car is amazing then he wont mind at all.

The model is manufactured in 2010 and still the.company is not offerig any discount on the car.

So basically the question is that is it okay to go ahead with the deal or ahould he look into some other good better options.

Cars short listed - evo x, superb v6, discovery 4
Price range - 65 lakh
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - not an issue
Average distance traveled per month - exclusivecar plus not everyday drive so 500 kms
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)- all three
Chauffer driven / self driven - self
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - speed and it should be a great eye turner
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)- resale not important and will keep till it gets totalled.

Please suggest guys

thanks a lot
regards
chiragh

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 12th March 2011 at 15:23.
Old 12th March 2011, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Help my friend decide between Evo X and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
Hey all

I got a call from my friend asking me to help choose his car. He plans on buying the Evo X but there are a few aprehensions.

He is getting the delivery in 15 days. From Chennai to chandigarh. Any colour choice. The only problem is that he feels its not quite worth spending extra 30 lakh on a 20 lakh worth car, but if the car is amazing then he wont mind at all.

The model is manufactured in 2010 and still the.company is not offerig any discount on the car.

So basically the question is that is it okay to go ahead with the deal or ahould he look into some other good better options.

Cars short listed - evo x, superb v6, discovery 4
Price range - 65 lakh
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - not an issue
Average distance traveled per month - exclusivecar plus not everyday drive so 500 kms
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)- all three
Chauffer driven / self driven - self
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - speed and it should be a great eye turner
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)- resale not important and will keep till it gets totalled.

Please suggest guys

thanks a lot
regards
chiragh
if your friend has the money to splurge, there is no car this side of the Lamborghini that can offer as much fun as an Evo X . That car is one absolute rocket and has the handling to match. But the price is way too high even for such performance. The interiors are nothing to write home about.

That said, the Evo X can also be used for daily use as its very very flexible and relaxed.

There is actually no comparison between an Evo X and a Superb or a Discovery. The Evo X is a standalone case. You either have the money to splurge on it or you dont. Thats about it. Its all about unadulterated performace. Thats about it.

ps: non enthusiast drivers will not be able to appreciate the car, so dont expect the rest of the family to sing praises.
Old 12th March 2011, 15:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Chiragh,

Has your friend read our detailed EVO X review? If not, this would be a good time to forward him the link.

Between the shortlisted cars (Evo x, Superb v6, Discovery 4), the EVO will keep him happiest behind the wheel. By a mile, there's no comparison. Equally, the EVO X isn't anywhere as violent (or as I would say it, exhilarating) as the older EVOs. Mitsubishi has toned down the EVO X big-time.

Quote:
speed and it should be a great eye turner
Speed yes. Eye turner no.

He should probably also test the Nissan 370Z and choose between the two. A Porsche Cayman also isn't too far from his budget.
Old 12th March 2011, 16:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

The EVO will go unnoticed by most people unless he is a hard core car guy. I'm saying this because hardly gathered any attention when we tested the EVO apart from a bunch of guys who knew what it was.

Further to what GTO has suggested is your friend game for going used? There are some fabulous deals in the pre owned market when it comes to these sports cars. I would suggest he look for a used Cayman S or for that matter even a 911 Carrera. He wants a head turner, he will get that with these two for sure. For the price he will pay for for a brand new EVO, he will surely get a sparingly used example of the cars I have mentioned.

Good luck to you friend.
Old 12th March 2011, 16:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your quick replies..

He test drove the 370z. Went to delhi for the test drive. The only problem that he faced with the car was that his dad felt it was too low and too sporty for him to drive and he and his father both would use the car.

Same is the problem with the Cayman S. Both these cars were in the options list first.

About the money splurging part, I would say yes. Totally.

I hope he doesnt regret buying the EVO..
Old 12th March 2011, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Hi Chiragh,

If your friend does not intend to use this on a daily drive, then some more exotic looking vehicles may be considered. But since you mentioned that off-road usage would be there as well, then the only sedan he should consider is the EVO X. In case SUVs are to be considered, then that opens a new set of possibilities. Especially from the used market.
Has your friend already booked the EVO?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 12th March 2011, 18:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I just got a call from him saying that he got it booked a minute back.

He wanted to buy it since november last year.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Will post again once it arrives. They are saying it should arrive by 25th March. And White Colour
Old 12th March 2011, 21:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

50 lac car and they are palming off 2010 models? Sad!

Nice to have an EvoX on the forums, though. Hope to see an ownership review.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

The EVO X is undoubtedly a fabulous car. Superior performance and 4 seats! But I'd suggest the Audi A4 3.2. It's a better all rounder. Plus, it packs superior snob-value and great luxury.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hey,

Sorry i was away from the forum for a few days and just got a chance to put in my 2c here.

I see that i'm a bit late and he's already booked the car, but i'm gonna reply anyway (might help others in the future).

Quote:
Any specific requirements from car - speed and it should be a great eye turner
As mentioned in the review, its quick - but it doesn't feel scary fast.
Can't promise the eye-turner part of it either, especially a white EVO. But who knows, maybe your friend will start to appreciate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
...some fabulous deals in the pre owned market when it comes to these sports cars..
True point - especially if you're looking to turn heads.

Quote:
He test drove the 370z. The only problem that he faced with the car was that his dad felt it was too low and too sporty for him to drive
For the seating position, despite the sedan-like looks the EVO has a very low seating position as well.

However, as far as daily drivability goes, it is EXCELLENT. No need to worry about it being "too sporty". Its very well behaved and easy to drive or cruise around in when the tranny is in "Normal" or even "Sport" mode.

Quote:
I hope he doesnt regret buying the EVO..
Sport mode and Super-Sport mode. That should clear up any regret if at all.

Its a gorgeous looking car, and is real fun when the road gets windy.

Just make sure your friend takes some time to understand the settings for the transmission as well as the ASC -- that can greatly change the driving experience (as well as the limits of safety - please keep this in mind).

Cheers,
R

PS - Here's a video about the ASC :

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2011 at 16:18.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan

Thanks for your reply. He had a word with Danny and after reading and spending endless hours researching, he has told the agency to withhold the cheque.

He has asked for a test drive. The test run will be either in Delhi or the company will send the car to chandigarh. This will be confirmed in a day or so. The decision will be made by the 22nd. But i am quite sure it will be yes.

Anyone would think a lot of times before shelling out an extra of 30L.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rehaan

Thanks for your reply. He had a word with Danny and after reading and spending endless hours researching, he has told the agency to withhold the cheque.

He has asked for a test drive. The test run will be either in Delhi or the company will send the car to chandigarh. This will be confirmed in a day or so. The decision will be made by the 22nd. But i am quite sure it will be yes.

Anyone would think a lot of times before shelling out an extra of 30L.
Hey Chiragh,

IMO Porsche Carrera would be an option worth consideration if your friend is open for pre-owned vehicles. Here is one example from Team BHP classified, a Porsche Carrera S and I am sure it would be negotiable.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...arrera-S.html/

No doubt about the fun factor of the Evo, but Carrera has performance, speed, practicality bundled in one package and it is far better head turner compared to an Evo X. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to your friend for his new purchase.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... The decision will be made by the 22nd. But i am quite sure it will be yes. ...
Any update on this chirag_bir? Did he get a test drive?

cya
R
Old 24th April 2011, 21:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Mods
The decision is made as discussed in the thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tsu-cedia.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks