Team-BHP - Audi A4 3.2 Tfsi versus Audi A4 3.0 TDi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Audi A4 3.2 Tfsi versus Audi A4 3.0 TDi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/98723-audi-a4-3-2-tfsi-versus-audi-a4-3-0-tdi.html)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to order one of these cars soon but not sure which one is better in terms of long term ownership. We've always owned petrol cars so I'm inclined toward the 3.2 but I'm open to the idea of a diesel if it's clearly the better choice for our Indian conditions.

I ride a max of 15k a year mostly in the city, 99% time self driven. I plan to keep this car for a while, 5+ years.

I haven't test driven either car because the dealership doesn't have any demo vehicles. Please share your thoughts on thisplease:

Thanks!

While the 3.2 fsi petrol is extremely refined,rev-happy and adrenaline rushing (trust me,each time you press the pedal you will jump for joy) IMO the 3.0 tdi would be a lot better in terms of long term ownership.
I happen to own the 3.0 TDI and not only is it quicker than the 3.2 fsi but also has diesel running costs ,which means a lot cheaper to run and much longer intervals between fuel stations. Also the 500NM of torque that kicks in around 1500rpm blows away any thrills surrounding the petrol and blasts this car into oblivion. IMHO the 3.0 TDI is 1 of the best sporty sedans to own today. Besides, with the 3.2 fsi you would have to roam around searching for petrol pumps with 95 RON or higher grade petrol to extract its maximum performance which costs a bomb. With the diesel ,the Germans strongly recommend using standard unadulterated diesel and the cars perform to their maximum potential on it.
However, the 3.0 TDI is a lakh dearer than its petrol sibling and very very hard to trace.
I dont think there are more than 2 to 3 A4 3.0 TDi in India today. In comparison, there would be a fair number of 3.2fsi around.I would advice you to first check with your dealer about the availability of either of these 2 variants as a number of people aspiring to own these have been kept wanting in the past, thanks to non-availability. Also be ready for a delivery period of around half a year.
Good luck.:)

The diesel 3.0TDi wins hands down over the 3.2 petrol. I have driven both, the petrol is nowhere close to the diesel in my mind. The huge torque on disposal will give you all the kicks & more. PlatzdaTurbo has highlighted why the diesel is way better & he owns one, so it is from the "horse's mouth" so to speak !!

Cheers

checked with the dealer , they said either car will take about 4 and half months to deliver because both are sold as CBUs. i'm in no hurry but its a problem if the delivery date drags on for more than 6months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantmohan (Post 2294207)
checked with the dealer , they said either car will take about 4 and half months to deliver because both are sold as CBUs. i'm in no hurry but its a problem if the delivery date drags on for more than 6months.

Yes it infact is a problem. If they have stated 4.5 months you could well expect it to stretch 2 odd months further. At least in Mumbai that has been the case with many. I got lucky as the variant i have is the Auto Expo 2010 variant which was specially got down from Ingolstadt for display by the Audi team.

The 3.2FSi is the way to go. IF you have a constant supply to high octane fuel and ofcourse are willing to pay the hefty price.

Frankly, for our conditions the diesel is always the best option. You get the power you paid for without any fuel trouble.

Look at the 530d too. Its will be available readily. 4-6months wait is painful in the head even if you have the time.

^
Even in markets where gasoline & diesel are neck to neck, i dont see the point of the 3.2 fsi since its slower :D
Of course if that addictive engine note and cream-like refinement are top on the priority list then the fsi is beautiful

i know its painful to hear and from the stories in this forum Audi is sure to delay.

Trouble is even though 530d and XF are just as good i think they cater to a slightly older demographic, plus they are too big(in terms of size and impression) for me and mainly they're way beyond my budget. I test drove them; XF is pretty stiff but generally speaking both are just magnificent.

I can't think of any other alternative...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantmohan (Post 2294604)

The only "young" car that comes to mind is a pre-owned CLS. A generation older now, but the new one looks ugly IMO, while the old one has a timeless appeal and sharp, edgy lines. Should be alright to drive, too, if you can find a CLS500 or a CLS320 CDI.

i think the CLS is great too but its got a certain road presence which i'm not very comfortable with.

Also, since im planning to keep the car for long i'd rather buy a brand new one.

If the 3.0 tdi all the car its supposed to be i guess the waiting should be worth it.

Quote:

i know its painful to hear and from the stories in this forum Audi is sure to delay.

Trouble is even though 530d and XF are just as good i think they cater to a slightly older demographic, plus they are too big(in terms of size and impression) for me and mainly they're way beyond my budget.

I dont know for sure about the XF Diesel but i do know that there isnt more than a 3.5 - 4 lakh difference between a fully loaded 3.0 TDI and a 530D.
So unless the A4 3.0 is the very upper limit of your budget cap, both cars should be within reach.

Quote:

Trouble is even though 530d and XF are just as good i think they cater to a slightly older demographic, plus they are too big(in terms of size and impression) for me and mainly they're way beyond my budget. I test drove them; XF is pretty stiff but generally speaking both are just magnificent.

The demographic is all a matter of perception. I drove around our C-class when I was 18 and the 5 series from the age of 22 until now. Not once have I felt or perceived to be out of the car's demographics.

Given the prices that these cars are sold at here only the older aged people seem to afford them. In other countries the 5 series is def a young mans car.

Get the 530d and if it feels too 'old' get some swanky rims and you got yourself the ultimate 'baba gaadi' ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 2294796)
Get the 530d and if it feels too 'old' get some swanky rims and you got yourself the ultimate 'baba gaadi' ;)

^ Makes sense since atleast the 530D would easily be available unlike the Audi. Besides, swanky rims or not, am pretty sure when you drive the 530D you wont be feeling like you are driving and old man's car :D

I agree on the part that the 530D is not at all "the old mans car". It sure has a peppy engine and huge plus being, it is readily available vis a vis the Audi.

Quote:

I drove around our C-class when I was 18 and the 5 series from the age of 22 until now.
That proves one thing:- Your'e dad is a rich man.:D Or maybe if you collected all that fortune by the time you got to your mid twenties:thumbs up

Quote:

I'm planning to order one of these cars soon but not sure which one is better in terms of long term ownership. We've always owned petrol cars so I'm inclined toward the 3.2 but I'm open to the idea of a diesel if it's clearly the better choice for our Indian conditions.
Its either the A4 3.0 TDI or a pre owned (last gen) 5 series or the best bet could be simply a 5 series (new gen) 520d. It will give you 'enough' thrills for your budget. The 3.0 TDi should be a rocket. I have driven the A4 2.0 TDi of a friend and its good.