Team-BHP - The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   The obsession with chrome mesh grilles! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/166195-obsession-chrome-mesh-grilles-4.html)

Car headlight eyelashes come as the first search result while searching for accessories for Linea on Paytm. It makes me laugh everytime.:uncontrol:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdbsd (Post 3759538)
Refer to the link below and have a great time! Car headlight eye lashes...?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manoj2268 (Post 3759510)
In my neighborhood, there is an HR 10 registered Swift Zxi which has the full monty, i e the aforementioned mesh grills, Chrome door handles, chrome covers for side mirrors, chrome bumper guards, chrome covers for tail lights and chrome gear knob. Looks very very tacky but the owner has a good taste in music. :-p

@Manoj, "Full monty" lol!!!! Must be looking quite hideous indeed!! At least hoping the car is not in that blue shade offered in the pre facelift, to make things worse..

I read in some posts that the Chrome "Jaali" costs just around 5k! I really doubt if such a large piece of mesh can be chrome plated within 5k? I seriously doubt that is Chrome Painted and not Plated. And ff this is the case, the shine will be over within an year or two.

While I do think that it depends on the owners taste whether to use Chrome or OEM grill, I also feel the technicalities of the grill design need to be considered. For example- The Scorpio with the chrome kidney grill (similar to BMW) might have implications on the heating and performance of the car due to changed design (aerodynamics).

Slightly off topic. Remember the Chrome wheel arch wrap around or bull bar in the late 90s? A lot of Maruti 800s and Zens used to have them in Pune.

However, Black powder coated bull bar used to look very classy :)

I must be one of the rare guys who got rid of the chrome, and gave away the chrome grille for free.

No chrome = classy :thumbs up

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-civic_pics-52.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravinemala (Post 3759391)
Anyone sighted this grill on a Honda city?

Huh?! Does the Honda City need anymore chrome :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdbsd (Post 3759538)
This chrome affinity can be attributed to one word: Fetish.

More than that, I think it's because of how chrome is marketed as being premium = Top variants get chrome, lower variants don't. Also, expensive cars wear a lot more chrome than cheap ones. Lastly, Indians have always loved things shiny, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3759743)
I must be one of the rare guys who got rid of the chrome, and gave away the chrome grille for free.

You never cease to amaze us. Do you? :).

Quote:

More than that, I think it's because of how chrome is marketed as being premium = Top variants get chrome, lower variants don't. Also, expensive cars wear a lot more chrome than cheap ones. Lastly, Indians have always loved things shiny, no?

Chrome, being applied in right quantities, on the right cars, with the right design, does render cars classy. Its going overboard is the problem.

Looks like Indians attitudes are changing towards shiny things. Yesterday I read that Indians are not in any kind of rush to buy gold this time, after gold hit historic 5-year low. Lets see how this situation develops.

Quote:

I must be one of the rare guys who got rid of the chrome

Have done the same to my Civic too.
Got a DIY aluminium Honeycomb grille and painted it to Matte black.
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-img_1234.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivr1612 (Post 3758047)
Even though I am not much of a chrome lover, I can't fathom why it is so difficult to accept / ignore others' tastes. Is it written in stone somewhere that using chrome is tasteless whereas black is the only style statement? Let people enjoy and spend their money on what they like. Not everyone might like the "understated" look. Who are we to judge them?

Wow, what a statement; the need of the hour, to mind ones own business unless it affects ours. Even I need to learn from this.

Personally, I too do not like chunky slapping of chrome (say Innova, City), but the Bentley grills look cool on a Swift and may be the Sunny and Innova; all others are a no go for me.

At the same time, I am wondering the longevity of chrome coating on plastics. Can we get plastics chrome-plated professionally from outside?

I spotted this one while I stopped for lunch break while riding on NH1.
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1437570909.109056.jpg

It depends on individual's taste. I do not like them at all. While buying Ciaz recently, a relative was in love with the chrome grill and wanted us to get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinda (Post 3759632)
I read in some posts that the Chrome "Jaali" costs just around 5k! I really doubt if such a large piece of mesh can be chrome plated within 5k? I seriously doubt that is Chrome Painted and not Plated. And ff this is the case, the shine will be over within an year or two.

5K is huge money for chrome plating. I have seen local hole in the wall chrome plating units in semi-industrial areas in delhi who will chrome anything for you which fits into their plating tank. A smallish piece can be done for 50-100 bucks. Something like a regular grill should be easily doable within 200 - 300 bucks even if its a single piece. Quantities will be quoted much lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdbsd (Post 3759769)
Looks like Indians attitudes are changing towards shiny things. Yesterday I read that Indians are not in any kind of rush to buy gold this time, after gold hit historic 5-year low. Lets see how this situation develops.

I think there can be two reasons for this:

1. Regular people (like me) have little money left to buy gold, i.e after eating food etc. :eek:

2. Rich people have too much of it already to want more. They might want Platinum now (Less shiny, but still Shiny)

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.joshi (Post 3759931)
I spotted this one while I stopped for lunch break while riding on NH1.
Attachment 1394500

Hehe :uncontrol This looks like exotic lingerie for the Innova.

I have also seen this innova chrome grille and it looks so wacky. I know it's the new fashion but it's a fashion some of us don't like. Why just grille? I've seen chrome slapped on the A piller of many cars, chrome bumper protector, chrome window lining etc. People can't live without a dose of chrome on their cars it seems.

Saw some of those cheesy cheese graters with 'evil eye' warding lemon attached! Maybe it facilitates to tie such accessories :Frustrati

Quote:

Well @GTO, sorry to say, but that one doesn't exactly seem classy to me.
The stock chrome grille was actually really neat and minimalistic, but yeah, couldn't have looked that great on a white car. But now the dark gap created in place of the grille too, which on a darker coloured car would've managed to stay hidden, is all the more obvious on the white car. And the main draw is, there's no logo at the front!! Which does make it look somewhat spartan, and reminiscent of stripped out rally cars (Which actually does give it a sporty angle though).
Now, I mean no offense, but to me that car looks somewhat like an old lady whose denture has been removed :D
Okay, the chrome is not to everyone's tastes, but you've really gotta do something about the logo at least. I'd seriously suggest you to fetch something like a black plastic grille, something like the one on the new jazz or a similar body coloured one, or better yet, a carbon fibre finished grille, and bolt it onto the front with a shiny new "H" on it. That'll look really neat.
The base variant citys do have an ugly looking silver plastic grille which I guess can be easily removed and replaced, or repainted/refinished. Never seen a plastic grille on a civic here though.