Team-BHP - Buying replacement car seats (OEM)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Buying replacement car seats (OEM) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/195731-buying-replacement-car-seats-oem.html)

A friend of mine has a VW Polo and noticed that his seats have become rather saggy. He is quite a heavy chap and the car is one of the earliest Polos so it's just wear and tear.

Do VW (and manufacturers in general) sell the entire front seat as a spare part and if yes how much would it cost? Or do they sell just the foam and the fabric cover? There is also a mild desire to get the GTI seats (with the extra bolstering and the red and white seat fabric) but if not, the normal Polo seats will also do.

He is against purchasing non OEM seats from neighbourhood seat and seat cover stores and likes the original fabric look very much. The whole seat would ensure that the fabric finish is perfect which is a big plus for him.

Its a very common issue with vehicles which have aged, with time the foam becomes softer and its not comfortable for driving, more so if one has a heavy build then it would rather happen sooner than normal wear and tear.

I think any good seat upholstery shop will be able to work with your friend and he can get the new foam added to the oem seats and cover it based on the fabric and design he chooses, will also have better options to choose from stiffer foams to softer ones depending on what he likes - its a more viable and economical option than buying a whole seat just for new cushion unless the seat structure is damaged.

Atleast Maruti has separate cushions as well as complete seat sets for its cars. I got seat base cushions for my 2000 Maruti 800 last year.

Buying replacement car seats (OEM)-20170329_102346.jpg

Buying replacement car seats (OEM)-20170331_161958.jpg

Ah what I'm looking for is more like the Maruti example. Does anyone know if VW does full seat sets? And leoshahi, does the fit and finish match the factory seats when you got the car brand new?

Yep, they sag with age just like your mattress at home :).

Just get the seat foam, supports & cloth redone at a good upholstery shop. Some might even give you a better end result than OEM if your friend is willing to pay for quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4358521)
Yep, they sag with age just like your mattress at home :).

Just get the seat foam, supports & cloth redone at a good upholstery shop. Some might even give you a better end result than OEM if your friend is willing to pay for quality.

It seems surprisingly hard to find people that do fabric upholstery because leather/art leather is the norm. Any pointers or would you recommend leather instead for which there seems to be a lot of good places in big cities?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4359842)
It seems surprisingly hard to find people that do fabric upholstery because leather/art leather is the norm. Any pointers or would you recommend leather instead for which there seems to be a lot of good places in big cities?

Talk to a nearby good upholstery shop and check with them and mostly they would be happy to do the seats in fabric, many do prefer fabrics over art leather as its more breathable during summers and helps for those who don't want to keep the ac on always - you may have seen many using jute style fabric seats which were a rave couple of seasons back.

Art leather seats are good too as you can choose various designs and mix match colors to work and come out with a cool design to your liking, its mostly water and stain proof so easy on maintenance and also has a longer life as the wear and tear is less due to harder material - however on the flip side if you are in a hotter climate it would require usage of AC to keep things cool while driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4357152)
Atleast Maruti has separate cushions as well as complete seat sets for its cars. I got seat base cushions for my 2000 Maruti 800 last year.

Attachment 1731053

Attachment 1731054

Hi,

My Brezza's Seat back needs a replacement, under warranty and luckily I don't have any seat covers installed. I wanted to know if the replacement seat back comes with fabric cover or are received nude, devoid of any fabric.

I bought an Ecosport Titanium+ TDCi earlier this year. This version came with 6 airbags and beige fabric seat covers. I figured that because of 6 airbags, it is not easy/advisable to put aftermarket ART leather seat covers. Then I had this thought of replacing the entire seats with Ecosport S version (which comes with 6 airbags and black leather seats) assuming the airbag connection to be pluggable.

Apparently, I was the first one to ask such to that SA lol: and he comfortably shrugged it off saying 'Ford doesn't sell entire seats as accessory'!! :(

I have a 2010 Logan. I am also looking to replace the entire seat assembly of both the captain seats. I have tried extra cushioning 4 years ago. It was OK then. But now they are not OK.

I spoke about this to the Mahindra SA. He said one such customer came and ordered Xylo's complete seat assemble by paying an advance and the seats were not supplied by the company for 4 months. Though the Logan seats are available, he does not want to take the risk of ordering and deal with the order related problems. He is not confident that the seats will be delivered.