Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 13:49   #1

Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames

With the sudden increase in demand for Android based aftermarket head units, the Chinese manufacturers smartly moved to standard 9 inch and 10 inch systems. These are mounted onto aftermarket frames that are specifically made for these Head unit systems.

When I upgraded the head unit on my Honda Amaze to the 9 inch Blaupunkt San Andreas (which is a non-android based system with wired and wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto), I was happy as this would have a perfect flush fit in the aftermarket 9-inch stereo frame. However, this happiness did not last long

After a few months of usage, the frame started developing paint cracks on the top and side. These areas were prone to direct sunlight.

I went to the installation shop and complained. They called their supplier who said that he cannot offer any warranty on the frame.

The shopkeeper said that he could get the frame repainted by a good-quality paint shop for INR 1000. I was mad as the cost of the frame itself was INR 800, so I refused

When my car was at the Honda workshop, I asked the service manager if he had observed similar issues in aftermarket frames in other Amaze cars at the workshop, and he said that this is common and most Amaze cars with such aftermarket frames have similar cracked paint.

Has anyone here in the BHP community faced similar issues?

I'm confused if I should get it repainted as I'm not sure about the finishing and paint quality. I even tried to source a frame in Matte finish (basically a frame without any paint on it - just plastic) assuming that it won't show similar results due to heat since there won't be any paint to be damaged.

Below are a few images of the frame taken with flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames-whatsapp-image-20240523-11.37.41-am.jpeg  

Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames-whatsapp-image-20240522-12.20.07-pm.jpeg  

Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames-whatsapp-image-20240523-11.37.41-am-1.jpeg  

Daewoo1995 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:59   #2
BHPian

re: Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewoo1995 View Post
With the sudden increase in demand for Android based aftermarket head units, the Chinese manufacturers smartly moved to standard 9 inch and 10 inch systems. These are mounted onto aftermarket frames that are specifically made for these Head unit systems.

When I upgraded the head unit on my Honda Amaze to the 9 inch Blaupunkt San Andreas (which is a non-android based system with wired and wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto), I was happy as this would have a perfect flush fit in the aftermarket 9-inch stereo frame. However, this happiness did not last long

After a few months of usage, the frame started developing paint cracks on the top and side. These areas were prone to direct sunlight.

I went to the installation shop and complained. They called their supplier who said that he cannot offer any warranty on the frame.

The shopkeeper said that he could get the frame repainted by a good-quality paint shop for INR 1000. I was mad as the cost of the frame itself was INR 800, so I refused

When my car was at the Honda workshop, I asked the service manager if he had observed similar issues in aftermarket frames in other Amaze cars at the workshop, and he said that this is common and most Amaze cars with such aftermarket frames have similar cracked paint.

Has anyone here in the BHP community faced similar issues?

I'm confused if I should get it repainted as I'm not sure about the finishing and paint quality. I even tried to source a frame in Matte finish (basically a frame without any paint on it - just plastic) assuming that it won't show similar results due to heat since there won't be any paint to be damaged.

Below are a few images of the frame taken with flash.

If the functionality of the frame remains unaffected , I feel it would be fine for use and you shouldn't be bothered much as there seems to be no realistic solution to this. Live with it if it works, or repaint/replace every now and then. I don't see anything beyond this.
saikishor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 08:05   #3
BHPian

re: Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames

Why don't you go to a sticker shop and get that wrapped?? Some of the thicker vinyls like fake carbon fibre would completely hide the cracks and look cool too. If the wrap is done right, it will last a long time without peeling off.
windrider is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 14:27   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pathetic quality of aftermarket head-unit frames

Quote:
I was mad as the cost of the frame itself was INR 800, so I refused
You get what you pay for, no? As with most such parts in the market, there are cheap ones, midpriced ones and expensive ones. I'd gotten an aftermarket frame for my new head-unit in the Honda Civic and it never had any problem.

800 bucks is quite cheap. Not to mention, the product itself was unbranded. Was probably manufactured for 50 bucks. The rest of the 800 are margins at the different levels, taxes, shipping etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Some of the thicker vinyls like fake carbon fibre would completely hide the cracks and look cool too.
Superb idea
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 14:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You get what you pay for, no? As with most such parts in the market, there are cheap ones, midpriced ones and expensive ones. I'd gotten an aftermarket frame for my new head-unit in the Honda Civic and it never had any problem.

800 bucks is quite cheap. Not to mention, the product itself was unbranded. Was probably manufactured for 50 bucks. The rest of the 800 are margins at the different levels, taxes, shipping etc.

Superb idea

Unfortunately the entire market has one single option for my car model and they all cost around 800-1000 bucks. I have a Civic too and I know that the Civic has multiple options across price range and designs. But the Amaze has only one option - have checked with over 5 different dealers.
Daewoo1995 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 14:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
If the functionality of the frame remains unaffected , I feel it would be fine for use and you shouldn't be bothered much as there seems to be no realistic solution to this. Live with it if it works, or repaint/replace every now and then. I don't see anything beyond this.
Agree with you on this. Sticking to this one for now. Going to wait for further damage. Once completely cracked, will try to get it repainted at a good shop using a plastic primer and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Why don't you go to a sticker shop and get that wrapped?? Some of the thicker vinyls like fake carbon fibre would completely hide the cracks and look cool too. If the wrap is done right, it will last a long time without peeling off.
Wrapping is a good idea but the frame has a semicircular finish on the left side and concave finish on the right. I fear that normal workmanship might end up with wrinkles on both the sides.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th May 2024 at 17:05. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 25th May 2024, 15:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Please excuse my apparent lack of empathy, but your frame costs 800 bucks for a reason. No Chinese car audio products will give any kind of warranty! Your best bet would be to keep changing the frame whenever it gives up. Not worth worrying so much over!
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 16:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you on this. Sticking to this one for now. Going to wait for further damage. Once completely cracked, will try to get it repainted at a good shop using a plastic primer and paint.
You could even do it yourself with some primer and paint spray, many black options available in market. In fact, if you have a good hair dryer or better yet a heat gun, you could DIY the Vinyl wrap.
SixPistons is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 16:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Please excuse my apparent lack of empathy, but your frame costs 800 bucks for a reason. No Chinese car audio products will give any kind of warranty! Your best bet would be to keep changing the frame whenever it gives up. Not worth worrying so much over!
You’re right - these cheap frames are of really bad quality. But as I said earlier, there isn’t a better higher priced frame available anywhere. The frame from Honda isn’t compatible with the stereo, so I really don’t have an option. I’m still trying to source a good quality frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
You could even do it yourself with some primer and paint spray, many black options available in market. In fact, if you have a good hair dryer or better yet a heat gun, you could DIY the Vinyl wrap.
Will try to do this and share the final results!

Last edited by Sheel : 25th May 2024 at 17:04. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Daewoo1995 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You get what you pay for, no ? I'd gotten an aftermarket frame for my new head-unit in the Honda Civic and it never had any problem.
I remember getting a 2 DIN frame for my Civic back in 2012. Cost a princely sum of Rs.4,500 back then. Had to wait a week to install the Pioneer AVH-P8490BT. The frame fit like a glove and is still doing duty to date. Had bought another frame for my first gen Honda city to fit the pixelated dolphin P-8250, heck of a unit.
Good old days of walking around with the face plate sticking out of your jeans.
WasavaTyres is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 11:48   #11
BHPian

Aftermarket frame for Honda amaze was costing me 1400 Rs in Pune. It was an eye sore, thats why I dropped my idea of installing a 9 inch HU and settled for a 7 inch HU so that I don't have to change the frame.
Rajat347 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat347 View Post
Aftermarket frame for Honda amaze was costing me 1400 Rs in Pune. It was an eye sore, thats why I dropped my idea of installing a 9 inch HU and settled for a 7 inch HU so that I don't have to change the frame.
It's true. There is no well-designed and good-quality aftermarket 9-inch frame for the Honda Amaze. I guess you made a good choice with a 7-inch HU so that the original frame could be used.
Old 27th May 2024, 19:19   #13
BHPian

I have a Honda Amaze with an aftermarket stereo and faced the same issue with the quality of the aftermarket frame. It's nearly impossible to find a high-quality frame for budget sedans. After exploring various options, I chose a matte finish frame and had it painted gloss black. It’s holding well for the last 2 years.
If your existing frame is a good-quality one , consider re-painting it.
Else go for the matte finish one and have it painted gloss black.
Alternatively, you could have the frame wrapped in good quality gloss black vinyl film.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I have a Honda Amaze with an aftermarket stereo and faced the same issue with the quality of the aftermarket frame. It's nearly impossible to find a high-quality frame for budget sedans. After exploring various options, I chose a matte finish frame and had it painted gloss black. It’s holding well for the last 2 years.
If your existing frame is a good-quality one , consider re-painting it.
Else go for the matte finish one and have it painted gloss black.
Alternatively, you could have the frame wrapped in good quality gloss black vinyl film.
Finally someone who can relate to my pain! I have been trying to source a matte finish frame, I have called multiple retailers and even wholesalers for the basic matte finish frame but no one had it. Which city and dealer did you source it from?
Old 3rd June 2024, 22:27   #15
BHPian

I really feel the OP of this post. And while I tend to agree with almost all of what GTO usually says, I disagree with him here!

You are right - almost all brackets for aftermarket HUs are really quite horrible, of low quality and don’t fit right. And they are extremely overpriced as well.

I wouldn’t consider Rs 800 - 1000 cheap for even good quality frames. I’d expect good quality ones for that price yet have to make do with horrible quality ones that should be priced Rs 200!

Great idea about getting them wrapped. But that might lead to some fitting issues if not done right or the vinyl a bit too thick!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 3rd June 2024 at 22:28.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks