Team-BHP - Inclinometer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Inclinometer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/35210-inclinometer-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 713887)
More like a 2-axis accelerometer. No need to calibrate it since it knows that gravity = down!

cya
R

How does it know what angle the car is at? One has to calibrate it w.r.t. the vehicle.

How does one set zero Samurai?
Nice 100 deg range, now you can test the max. climbing ability of the GV, and the unit could be displaced to other vehicles for comparision too! :)

These units do not use gyros, too small for mechanical gyros, and RLGs are too expensive. Cheaper units use a damped pendulum connected to some potentiometers. They are entirely gravity (or net force) dependent.

EDIT
Does the unit tilt w.r.t. to the dash due to flexibilty of the suction cups when you are going downhill/uphill?

I think its a glorified spirit level?
I mean if you look at gravity, how difficult is it to construct an analog inclinometer. All you need is a water filled cylinder
this just takes analog to digital.
Damped pendulum is what I think it is.

I had an analogue inclinometer fitted on my Mac 10 (Bicycle) [Similar to the one on the Scorpio of GD1418] as I was doing a lot cycling in the hills of Nainital, and now it is on my Wagon R and works pretty well, though till date I am yet to understand its full utility in normal driving scenarios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 716051)
How does it know what angle the car is at? One has to calibrate it w.r.t. the vehicle.

Agreed (as i have mentioned in my second post). What i meant in the first post was that there is no need for it to keep re-calibrating after it has been mounted once.

Quote:

These units do not use gyros, too small for mechanical gyros, and RLGs are too expensive.
If the device is to be protected from being "net force dependant" it could be peizoelectric gyros? (they get more and more affordable day by day) , but i will agree with you that they are probably using a cheaper and more basic way to get the readings in this case.

Quote:

Does the unit tilt w.r.t. to the dash due to flexibilty of the suction cups when you are going downhill/uphill?
Great thinking :thumbs up but looking at the mounting in the picture it seems unlikely.

cya
R

How stable is the display during acceleration and hard braking Samurai? Does it shake/vibrate when you go through a rough patch?

OT
@Rehaan
Are you an aviation buff by any chance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 716772)
OT
@Rehaan
Are you an aviation buff by any chance?

Not really AK.
I have a few cheap R/C helicopters and bought a gyro etc and had grand plans to put a microcontroller on the cheapest* heli, maybe a ultrasonic sensor facing downwards to maintain a fixed altitude etc etc etc....but havent got around to much more than typing a bit of the code out in notepad...:Frustrati

cya
R

* = wow $39 !! i bought mine for $60 = Amazon.com: REMOTE CONTROL DRAGON FLY HELICOPTER - item #66831: Toys & Games

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 716772)
How stable is the display during acceleration and hard braking Samurai? Does it shake/vibrate when you go through a rough patch?

Yes, it doesn't stabilize while moving, the values keeps varying. It stabilizes only when I come to a complete halt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 716781)
Not really AK.
... a gyro etc...

Not really? hmm :)
Did you by a gyroscope or an autogyro?
Best of luck with your alt. hold project. Is the MC supposed to control only the collective? Going big time OT here. I should PM you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 716788)
Yes, it doesn't stabilize while moving, the values keeps varying. It stabilizes only when I come to a complete halt.

So it does not have a gyro, still quite useful for comparing 4x4s.
When do we see a 'GV pawns all crossovers in climbing' thread?:)

Nice addition Samurai! Sensivity settings available to adjust the quick fluctuations?

cya
A

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 716781)

Completetly:OT.. Rehaan, Can you please start a thread on your R C chopper. I am thinking of getting one and putting a wireless camera on it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 717172)
Completetly:OT.. Rehaan, Can you please start a thread on your R C chopper. I am thinking of getting one and putting a wireless camera on it :D

Haha..yes ofcourse. That was on my list of things to do as well... :)

I'll tell you what... why dont you start the thread, and i will reply soon.
That thread will also prevent Alfa_Kilo and me from hijacking this thread.

cya
R

Hello
Just downloaded inclinometer for my ipod touch.I checked out the hardware, but they were expensive about AED 80.00.

the application I downloaded costed just US $ 1.99 for my ipod touch. It is great, cos it has an audible alarm if the angle of inclination is more.

Please check out the following site for more info

Inclinometer pour iPhone, iPhone 3GS et iPod Touch | App Store

He he he. I got an inclinometer software for my Nokia 5800 as well. It has somewhat similar display as your device.

Hi..
Can someone tell me where i can buy a dashboard mount inclinometer..
im looking at analog meter...

Thanks.