Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 01:49   #31
BHPian

Ananth you rat. I'm sick of telling you to put up a video . saying its a "good job" is obviously an understatement. Did you take it to indy?
Old 17th September 2008, 02:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post

Attachment 47968

Unfortunately I am the only one who can get it to do this, every other person who has driven the car cannot get the clutch to hook up for some reason. ScoobySTI, your comments please
I can attest to that.... It doesnt seem to hook up when I drive it....all I can get out of it is a lot of clutch slippage and an engine pinging off the limiter.

It might be due to a violent driving style which I seem to have adopted because of long association with my STI, which is a sledgehammer, no finesse required. Press pedal and hold on for life.

Maybe the Miata needs to be finessed or maybe it is because of two people in the car instead of one, beats me.
Old 17th September 2008, 02:03   #33
BHPian

Hello Ananth....

Great write up i must say....Truly enjoyed reading it...And about the DIY...Tremendous!!..Congrats on your Achievement!!.....Its a big feather to your cap.....Your work is definitely going to put some of the so called "professional Overpriced tuners" to shame!!...Trust me!!....

The car definitely kicks some serious @$$ man...Loved the ride!!...Was totally impressed by the smooth power delivery that too over a wide range....Over all...GOOD JOB!!..All the very best!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2008 at 03:23. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Ananth you rat. I'm sick of telling you to put up a video . Did you take it to indy?
No, its not too much fun to drive it on the freeway. I will post a video as soon as I can figure out how to mount my camera.

I cannot believe that my thread has only 30 odd replies in a week's time. I thought this would generate much more interest judging by the number of emails and garage posts I got for this car.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 17th September 2008 at 22:05.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:08   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I cannot believe that my thread has only 30 odd replies in a week's time. I thought this would generate much more interest judging by the number of emails and garage posts I got for this car.
but it has over a 1000 views. it is generating interest. great writeup btw.
Old 17th September 2008, 23:38   #36
BHPian

PipeFather Motorsports !!!

Quote:
The present engine is past 154k miles. Thats 250,000 km for the uninitiated. I need to look into replacing the engine with another or re-build this one.
New engine. From an 05 or 06. There's tonne's of wrecked one's out there. I can help you source those...."IF" help is needed
Quote:
Rework the suspension. Tuning the suspension is going to be a tough task but I'm hoping my new job will teach me everything I need to know.
Dude I didn't know you're going to be working on suspensions at your new job? are you?

Quote:
Install EGT gauge and replace the intercooler with something better.
How about one of those digital gauges that have small buttons. You toggle through screens that tell you EVERYTHING. the digital gauge is tied up to all the sensors with and A to D card which I'm sure must be built in as well and you can calibrate. We'll have a top notch race miata then ! No?! The one in the pic below is a Motec. You can calibrate the sensor input thresholds to set off alarms etc. You can read all sensed data on it.

You'd probably be able to rid your car of the instrument cluster. "some" weightloss there.

Last edited by highwayblaze : 17th September 2008 at 23:49.
Old 18th September 2008, 00:19   #37
BHPian

Brilliant! Congrats.
Really great build. Inspirational!cheers:
Old 18th September 2008, 06:47   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I will post a video as soon as I can figure out how to mount my camera....
Hey Ananth,

I bought this on ebay for about $20 including shipping. Its pretty damn solid, and the suction is good.
I would suggest you invest in something like this especially since you will probably use it quite often (autoX etc).

The only downside to this model is that it is designed to mount the camera upside down, but depending on the rake of the windsheild you might be able to mount it right side up. I havent tried it on my car as yet - only on windows at home so cant really comment as yet!

Amazon.com: Panavise 809 CCTV Camera Window Mount: Camera & Photo

Also, theres a slightly more expensive breed> Sticky Pod-Camera Mounts & many others.

cya
R
Old 18th September 2008, 18:13   #39
BHPian

Hi Ananth, great build - really inspirational for DIY dilettantes like me !

Methinks your MegaSquirt assembly deserves it's own thread. Hope you'd consider obliging guys like me with more details of your MegaSquirt install. I know the MS forums have all the information you'd ever need, but hearing one's first-hand experience putting something like this together would be invaluable...
Old 18th September 2008, 19:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New engine. From an 05 or 06. There's tonne's of wrecked one's out there. I can help you source those...."IF" help is needed
Of course help is appreciated and welcome. I am probably going to buy a JDM engine from a vendor in Chicago. Will come there once I have surplus cash at my disposal.

Quote:
Dude I didn't know you're going to be working on suspensions at your new job? are you?
Vehicle dynamics testing. So yeah, it probably will involve some suspension work.

Quote:
How about one of those digital gauges that have small buttons. You toggle through screens that tell you EVERYTHING. the digital gauge is tied up to all the sensors with and A to D card which I'm sure must be built in as well and you can calibrate. We'll have a top notch race miata then ! No?! The one in the pic below is a Motec. You can calibrate the sensor input thresholds to set off alarms etc. You can read all sensed data on it.
The thing with that is its expensive. I want to retain this car for dual-purpose use as much as possible, so removing the dash is out of the question. But I do understand your intention, data is important. My ECU can already log all critical engine parameters, so I'll need something like G-tech pro for chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey Ananth,

I bought this on ebay for about $20 including shipping. Its pretty damn solid, and the suction is good.
I would suggest you invest in something like this especially since you will probably use it quite often (autoX etc).

Amazon.com: Panavise 809 CCTV Camera Window Mount: Camera & Photo
That looks like a super cheap solution!! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Ananth, great build - really inspirational for DIY dilettantes like me !

Methinks your MegaSquirt assembly deserves it's own thread. Hope you'd consider obliging guys like me with more details of your MegaSquirt install. I know the MS forums have all the information you'd ever need, but hearing one's first-hand experience putting something like this together would be invaluable...
Sure I'll do that sometime soon.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 18th September 2008 at 19:11.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:13   #41
BHPian

Ananth,

good job done! My roomie from college attempted the same thing and was not as successful as you since he tried to go high boost with his undeveloped set up and kept breaking things or running into run away unstabilities or something or the other.

I've no doubt that your keeping the boost in check and your skill with the electronics is responsible for your success.

I am particularly impressed with you because of your comfort with the ECU, both in fabricating one and being able to tune it. That is primarily what keeps me from doing anything like this myself. If your professional training made it easy, I can understand that, but if you are self taught, that is deeply impressive. Or maybe I just think it to be more difficult than it is, but I doubt it.

Have you tuned it on a dyno? My guess not, considering the cost of dyno time.

My '91 is a survivor, came out of a collector's garage in Georgia. I got it 4 years ago with just 14k miles on it and I am trying to keep it clean and unmolested so I can have a fresh NA to use for years. If I lose the Elise, I will probably buy another Miata and make it my track toy.

Last edited by Harbir : 20th September 2008 at 01:20.
Old 20th September 2008, 02:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Ananth,

good job done! My roomie from college attempted the same thing and was not as successful as you since he tried to go high boost with his undeveloped set up and kept breaking things or running into run away unstabilities or something or the other.
thanks harbir, your roomie's situation is quite understandable, boost is addictive and its so easy to keep increasing it until you break stuff.

Quote:
I've no doubt that your keeping the boost in check and your skill with the electronics is responsible for your success.

I am particularly impressed with you because of your comfort with the ECU, both in fabricating one and being able to tune it. That is primarily what keeps me from doing anything like this myself. If your professional training made it easy, I can understand that, but if you are self taught, that is deeply impressive. Or maybe I just think it to be more difficult than it is, but I doubt it.
Well I have no formal training in electronics or anything, nor is it my profession. I did have a mental block against all things electrical in a car. But like you said, it is crucial to overcome that since its almost impossible to work on a modern car otherwise.

Quote:
Have you tuned it on a dyno? My guess not, considering the cost of dyno time.
No but I will once I replace the engine and change the intercooler to the final setup.

Quote:
If I lose the Elise, I will probably buy another Miata and make it my track toy.
I think you should do it anyway. There's something about a well-sorted turbo miata that blows away Corvettes and yes, Elises (Elisei??) on the track. Owners of exotica tend to push their cars a little less harder than those of a 15-year old Miata.
Old 20th September 2008, 02:54   #43
BHPian

Its hard to argue with 200+hp pushing less than 2300lbs. THe Elise isn't a particularly fast car in a straight line and a turbo Miata will smoke it.

The Miata is a very superior platform, great as stock and with lots of potential for performance upgrades. Most people don't realize what a good sports car it is.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Miata is a very superior platform, great as stock and with lots of potential for performance upgrades. Most people don't realize what a good sports car it is.
+1 the suspension and weight distribution couldn't be better designed for a car like this. Only thing I would have liked is lower weight. It is kinda heavy compared to older british sports / sporty cars. My Dolphin for example weighs only 1100 lbs.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:56   #45
BHPian

About the only cars out there in the 1100lb range are the Caterhams, Ariels, Radicals, Westfields and the line.

It is not possible to make a car that meets US crash standards and federal emissions standards, that are that light.

You can build Locost 7 for yourself though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks