Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

NHC To be repainted or not ?

Hi All,
I need your inputs / suggestions for the below senario:
I own a NHC, model Mar 2005, clocked around 50K Kms. Since the car is mainly used in the City limits, it has developed quite a few scratches & minor dents.

My questions:

1. Is it a good idea to have insurance claim and get the vehicle repainted? (I have almost decided on this).
2. If repainted, shall I keep the same color or can I go ahead with any other colour of my choice? Will this affect the cars resale, etc ?
3. How much time (months/weeks) would be my car under garage ?
4. I have also decided to have a new set of tubeless tyres, which brand should i go in for ?

Thanks for your inputs !

PS: Mods please move the thread accordingly.

Last edited by sary : 20th February 2009 at 17:38.
Old 20th February 2009, 18:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

If touch up job is able to cover up the scratches and all, avoid going in for a complete paint of car. This usually works against the resale value.

Any local mechanic would be sufficient for this job.

1) Not sure if you can claim one. IMO avoid this insurance claim.
2) Repainting the entire car will affect the resale value of the car. IMO keep the color as present one you have.
4) For tyre query, refer to this section :
Tyre & Alloy wheel Section - Team-BHP

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th February 2009 at 18:38.
Old 20th February 2009, 19:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Entire repainting is not good idea.

My suggestion repaint only bonnet, all doors, boot, both fenders. What I mean is repaint only all sides and front and back which would bring uniform colour. This is what used car dealers do while selling 3-4 years old cars with dent/scratches. 90% of the buyers cant make out!

For this you can clam insurance for the areas where scratches and dent has happened.

Insurance might sanction only partial cost because If one particular door don't need any dent removal or scratch removal work.

So keep these things in mind

My idea works best with dark colors while its good for any light colours too. any repaint job we can make out if we observe in different angle in sunlight.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th February 2009, 19:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please remember that if you change the color of the car you have to GET THE SAME ENDORSED IN RC BOOK ALSO
Old 20th February 2009, 19:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good idea to get the car repainted, except for the roof part. However, it would be hard justifying (to the insurance company) that the entire car got damaged in one single incident. My personal view on car painting: keep it scratch free rather than with original paint. No grumbles about losing out on no claim bonus either.
Old 20th February 2009, 19:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Good idea to get the car repainted, except for the roof part. However, it would be hard justifying (to the insurance company) that the entire car got damaged in one single incident. My personal view on car painting: keep it scratch free rather than with original paint. No grumbles about losing out on no claim bonus either.
Thats true mate, but hope you know there are enough number of Auto wala's & bikers to spoile the party on road !
Old 20th February 2009, 19:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Entire repainting is not good idea.

My suggestion repaint only bonnet, all doors, boot, both fenders. What I mean is repaint only all sides and front and back which would bring uniform colour. This is what used car dealers do while selling 3-4 years old cars with dent/scratches. 90% of the buyers cant make out!

For this you can clam insurance for the areas where scratches and dent has happened.

Insurance might sanction only partial cost because If one particular door don't need any dent removal or scratch removal work.

So keep these things in mind

My idea works best with dark colors while its good for any light colours too. any repaint job we can make out if we observe in different angle in sunlight.

Regards,

Ravi.
The point you mention about repainting only the outer shell is good, however IMO it should not make any difference even just running the paint spray from inside the car.

BTW i m planning to get this job done by HONDA service center itself and not with any other local mechanic. The original color of my car is Silver.
Old 20th February 2009, 20:29   #8
BHPian

this is exactly what i went through today. my best friend has a 2004 blue NHC with loads of scratches all round and even rust at places. paint has lost all its lustre and looks worse than what it actually is. went to Ring Road Honda, Peera Garhi today. his car is insured from iffco tokio.

the insurance guy said he can paint the entire car and we would be required to pay only 500 bucks as per the clause. will take them 6 days to completely paint the car.

he said there are two ways of getting a claim for the entire car
1. use screw driver or nail and scratch the car on all sides. then go to the local P.S. and file a complaint and get some D.D number. it is not a FIR. just a report that somebody damaged your car parked outside your house. having some contact at the P.S. will obviously help you to get the letter without any issues. otherwise they might ask you to grease their hands a little. with the letter, charges for painting the car 500 bucks.

2. scratch the car against some wall or tree on both the sides. surveyor will pass the claim for repainting of the entire vehicle. again charges only Rs. 500.

he will get his car painte in a couple of weeks using the 1st way.

Last edited by white_vdi : 20th February 2009 at 20:30.
Old 20th February 2009, 20:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
this is exactly what i went through today. my best friend has a 2004 blue NHC with loads of scratches all round and even rust at places. paint has lost all its lustre and looks worse than what it actually is. went to Ring Road Honda, Peera Garhi today. his car is insured from iffco tokio.

the insurance guy said he can paint the entire car and we would be required to pay only 500 bucks as per the clause. will take them 6 days to completely paint the car.

1. use screw driver or nail and scratch the car on all sides. then go to the local P.S. and file a complaint and get some D.D number. it is not a FIR. just a report that somebody damaged your car parked outside your house. having some contact at the P.S. will obviously help you to get the letter without any issues. otherwise they might ask you to grease their hands a little. with the letter, charges for painting the car 500 bucks.

2. scratch the car against some wall or tree on both the sides. surveyor will pass the claim for repainting of the entire vehicle. again charges only Rs. 500.

Well, I don't think this is a sensible idea.

If you want to get a car re-painted, just pay up and do it. One shouldn't resort to such unethical methods.
Old 20th February 2009, 20:57   #10
BHPian

Please factor in the potential higher insurance premium for next year if you claim insurance. May not make much of difference if it is a 2005 model, but in case you want to take your no claim bonus across to any new car you might buy, the additional cost for insurance without NCB would be a fair bit.
Old 20th February 2009, 21:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Well, I don't think this is a sensible idea.

If you want to get a car re-painted, just pay up and do it. One shouldn't resort to such unethical methods.
honda is charging 4000 bucks per piece for paint. that means an approx total 50k for paint.
plus he hasnt claimed even once in these 5 years so why not? i know its unethical but in india how many follow rules? i dont care if it saves you almst 50000 and that is some amount!
Old 20th February 2009, 22:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
honda is charging 4000 bucks per piece for paint. that means an approx total 50k for paint.
plus he hasnt claimed even once in these 5 years so why not? i know its unethical but in india how many follow rules? i dont care if it saves you almst 50000 and that is some amount!
If cost is the concern, there are several other paint shops that do this job at a very reasonable cost - without any compromise in quality or color. Please search for threads on this aspect.

Last edited by pmbabu : 20th February 2009 at 22:18.
Old 20th February 2009, 23:50   #13
BHPian

@ swaroop77 : mate i dont think he will sell the car anytime soon if he gets her done completely. so NCB shouldnt be a consideration.

@ pmbabu : dude nobody will do it for that amount and then i am no gandhi who would let go of this opportunity. no offense but i feel its a very subjective thing and i back my decision.

MODS can we have a poll on what do to in this situation? to go for a claim and get the car repainted for 500 bucks or not?

Last edited by white_vdi : 21st February 2009 at 00:07.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is not only unethical but also deplorable and nothing less than effective robbery. You are advocating insurance fraud - usually a jail term accompanies this in most countries. In effect fraudulent claims transfer the costs to other ethical owners. Do you also like to steal?

OP: You can easily find decent local paint shops which will do a nice job without the huge cost. If in any case you are going to keep the car for a couple of years, drop in re-sale may not matter much.

Mods: A request to delete/remove such unethical posts.
Old 21st February 2009, 12:41   #15
BHPian

alright guys i got the point!
thank god i got it before somebody killed me going out on the road. phew!!

will ask my friend to find some other place to get his car painted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks