Team-BHP - Can a carb-esteem be converted to MPFI?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Can a carb-esteem be converted to MPFI? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/56171-can-carb-esteem-converted-mpfi-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopsyche (Post 1245965)
Ive done that on my car, '98 carb to mpfi conversion, approx Rs.90,000 in parts.

Labor was free :)

Didn't know you had converted your carb esteem to MPFI. Can you give the list of spares that you had to buy with costs against each ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 1247174)
HI,

Cost of twin webbers approx 20 -40k in Mumbai(used pair) all depends on supply & demand + cost of either fabricating a custom manifold(approx 5-10K) which will involve cutting your bonnet as well.

You do get ready manifolds abroad as well.

Viper

hello viper, I have a question, What mileage can I expect with an esteem after adding a twin webber carb, a header, freeflow, port polishing job if driven in a sane way?:D

Is cost of the carb directly proportional to the power delivered & amount of fuel consumed?

My questions may sound a bit stupid, but I am trying to learn:D

Hi,

My replies below in bold,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 1266194)
hello viper, I have a question, What mileage can I expect with an esteem after adding a twin webber carb, a header, freeflow, port polishing job if driven in a sane way?:D - That would depend on the job done & the jet sizes chosen & the tuner. You can always use a different set of jets for daily use keeping FE in mind and driven sanely I see no reason why you should not get at least a 7-8 kmpl if not more. Driving performance style oyu may look at about 5-6 kmpl on the lowest side.

Is cost of the carb directly proportional to the power delivered & amount of fuel consumed? - I did not understand the question?stupid:

My questions may sound a bit stupid, but I am trying to learn:D

Viper

Viper

With a twin carb setup, larger jets, custom manifiold and FFE, is it possible to bump up the power of the esteem carb engine to similar levels of an esteem mpfi engine?

Hi,

Yes you can do that and go higher. All depends on the carbs used and of course the tuning.

Almost all the cars used by Game Over in Mumbai use carbs and they have been very consistent in securing podium places at all the drag events held in Mumbai and even some in Banglore.

Viper

Ok, Thanks. The reason I asked is that I sold my gypsy 1.0 L a while ago and am looking out for a gypsy king. My first choice was the mpfi version but I have been unable to find good mpfi gypsies within my budget. However I have seen 2 carb gypsy kings in decent condition and I was wondering if I should go in for that and then bump up the power to mpfi levels.

Assuming that the carb gypsy makes 68 bhp, what do you think would be a reasonable budget to increase the power to approx. 80 bhp? I am not looking for anything more than that so extreme mods are out. What are the mods that you would recommend to extract approx. 80 bhp from the carb engine?

Twin carb, large jet engines will be real guzzlers. Has been by observation with Headers' gypsy, a sweeet CJ3B with weber twin, exhaust,et al and a few other cars.
With an mpfi engine, FE doesn't go for a toss.
Quote:

Ive done that on my car, '98 carb to mpfi conversion, approx Rs.90,000 in parts.
:Shockked: Holy Molly! Thats a Baleno engine mpfi plus labor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 1266226)
Hi,

My replies below in bold,

Viper

A better & expensive carb, does it translate to more power and at the same time being more of a fuel guzzler:). So with carb, higher the power the more the fuel consumed? The very reason being if one gets 5-6kmpl it would make sense to plonk in a better fuel efficient & powerful engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 1244088)
Gentlemen,

A good friend of mine has a 1997 Carb Esteem-Lx, which has been driven pretty carefully and has clocked about 70K. The car is in decently good condition.

I was thinking that a good mid-life makeover (or is it end of life makeover?) is in order and needed comments from the experts here.

The first question (may be dumb) is: Can't it be converted to MPFI (Better performance and efficiency)? I understand that a new MPFI unit may cost more than the present value of the car, but can't MPFI unit from some totalled esteem be sourced from somewhere?

He is planning to sell it off for pittance and I am wondering if it is better to give it a make-over and extend its life.

The car has been very cheap to maintain in the past. Will it change as it moves closer to the 1L Km mark?

Another thing which bothers me is the dim lights on the old-esteem. I guess this is because of the cover which has become almost opaque. Can it be fixed by putting clear-lens lights from the later esteems?

Please advise.

Cheers,
Su-47

Converting the Carbs into Mpfi is a difficult task even i had enquired for my esteem some years back ,but at that time mpfi manifolds and throttle where very expansive, and in addition to that an ECU is must, which itslf can cost about 15k(Used).
I think if your friend need that very bady tell him to get the whole engine, which will come under 40k.
If he wish for more performance, tell him to remain the existing carb engine and fix a DCOE Webber Carbs. They are superb.

NB; Am not expert to advice.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopsyche (Post 1245965)

Labor was free :)

You would have gone for a complete engine swap.
When i enquired an esteem engine for my Zen i got a deal from a Used market in pollachi(T.N),
The Engine, Tranny, Brakes, fuel tank, only INR. 40000/- Cheap know?
As my tuner told me that, to convert zen into esteem engine i need not buy full engine only bottom half is enough. So i didnt go for it. And it was 2007 model.