Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 23:20   #1
BHPian

A Tool to gauge when your tyre needs a replacement.

Hi all, I just received an email from Motor Header about a new tool/instrument to gauge the life of your tyre, if it needs to be repaired or replaced etc. This service is currently available at Tyrestore, Chennai. So the guys from Chennai can let us know if anyone has tried it out. Below is the article.

When should i change my tyres?

For the 1st time in India! Tyrestore, Chennai offers to measure tyre tread depth and tyre health using a revolutionary tyre tread diagnostic tool (TAC-Scan). This intelligent tool has the ability to recommend the correct time to change your tyre based on a computerized report providing diagnostics on each tyre with action recommendations for repair or maintenance needed on vehicle or tyre. TAC-Scan, detects tread problems before the human eye can see them. TAC-Scan is used to monitor tread condition and to trend tread wear; it identifies critical out of spec tires, and recommends suspension alignment improvements. This scanner has been used in motor racing over the past five years. TAC-Scan has projected tire performance failure to accuracies of one in a 73-lap race.
The Technology:
This is achieved using a special laser/software combination called the Tread Analysis Condition Scanner.
Through this special laser/software combination developed from expertise gained in Formula 1 racing, scientifically derived data is used for diagnostics of your car tyre.
This laser/software package makes non-contact measurement of tyre tread and wear both accurate and reportable. This provides a totally new method to analyze, diagnose root cause problems, and trend tyre performance.
The head scans a tire tread in 3 to 5 seconds delivering accuracy of 1/64″ (0.4mm) and a resolution of 0.004” (0.01mm). TAC-Scan is a stand-alone system, with a compatible computer interface via internal blue tooth or a USB memory stick, hence allowing you to take a print out of your tyre’s analysis!

The main advantages of the TAC Scan being:

• Accurate time/wear projection of tyre degradation
• Extension of tread life and
• Generate fuel savings
Old 17th February 2011, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Tool to gauge when your tyre needs a replacement.

So a shop selling tyres is now going to tell you when it's time to throw your old tyres and change to new tyres which you will presumably buy from the same guy.

What could possibly go wrong?

I have another tool. It's a coin
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2011, 00:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, checking the depth of the treads, making sure the wearing out is evenly distributed and making sure there are no external damages are more than enough to judge your tires condition.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
So a shop selling tyres is now going to tell you when it's time to throw your old tyres and change to new tyres which you will presumably buy from the same guy.

What could possibly go wrong?

I have another tool. It's a coin
Pranav: Noob question,

How do you use the coin and when do you know it's time to replace the rubber on your ride. i'm asking cause i just might need to sometime soon. wouldn't mind using a coin to find out just how soon.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guys! Why are you trying to rob Tyrestore a chance to rip of gullible customers! This world has no place for innovation?!

Seriously - Seems like another gimmick just to boost their tyre sales.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:56   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A funny thread, with hilarious comments to match

Seriously though, visual inspection works for me. Plus, any tyre with 40,000 kms on it is running beyond the optimal performance envelope. The rubber would have gotten too hard (stiffer ride comfort) and the grippier part of the tyre would have completely worn off (poor grip levels). I generally change tyres anywhere between 35,000 - 40,000 kms.

NOTE : Some performance tyres wear out earlier, especially the lousy Goodyear Eagle F1s (Mine were gone in the high 20's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
How do you use the coin and when do you know it's time to replace the rubber on your ride. i'm asking cause i just might need to sometime soon. wouldn't mind using a coin to find out just how soon.
TireRack

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2011 at 14:48.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:10   #7
BHPian

These technologies are making the new gen drivers more and more handicapped!!

I would rather prefer:

Bent down> Get your face parallel to the tyre ~6-10 cms away> Check for any uneven wear> Check whether you have enough tread to keep that 15K in your wallet for another couple of months> Repeat Step 1,2,3 and 4 on all the tyres> Bingo! you have the report ready infront of you now!

Whats next? A dirt detection machine to evaluate whether you need a car wash?
Old 17th February 2011, 16:24   #8
BANNED

Here's a video of it.

TAC-Scan | Tread Analysis Condition Scanner | Lightweight, Portable, and Easy To Use; Designed with the operator in mind.

And their punchline: The penny(coin) is obsolete in more ways then one....

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th February 2011 at 16:26.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:29   #9

What a RIPOFF!! You dont need a tool to tell you when to change your tyres. The driving dynamics should tell you that!! Maybe you need to be a tool to buy that tool!!
Old 17th February 2011, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

How much do they charge to tell you that your tyre needs changing? I'd do it for much less, I promise.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Forget the coin for now. But then what is the use tread wear indicator on the tyres?
Old 17th February 2011, 18:08   #12
BHPian

People dont buy new tyres even when bald. And now who thinks that Indians are going to spend on a Tool to tell them their tyres are bald.
Old 17th February 2011, 22:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Plus 10 to GTO! 35/40k is the usual mileage when the tires scream for a change unless you barely drive on the road and is always off-roading even on city roads! and they make the good old coin obsolete!

Oops talking of which I am already running close to 29k in my 2nd year of running my i20 - I hope by then the CAT-scan reaches Bangalore. Oops i mean the TAC scan
Old 17th February 2011, 22:37   #14
BHPian

Addy,
How much are they charging for this TAC scan? Per Tyre or per 4 tyres?
If possible, also request them for the cost of this appartus / software. we can recommend the same to some of the good tyre dealers who are customer oriented.
Old 18th February 2011, 03:53   #15
BHPian

@Maverick79 : No idea about the charges etc. As stated it was an email I received and posted so that fellow Chennai members can tell us what this exactly is and how it works. If it was in Bangalore, I am inquisitive enough to atleast go an have a look and get an idea about it.
Just like you mentioned, I wanted to add a note for Nikhil from Madhus to tell us what he thinks about this and if he has an idea about this machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks