Team-BHP > Motor-Sports

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 13:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

What is the role of a Navigator?

What does a Navigator do while rallying?

How important is the contribution of a Navigator? what kind of data they get?

While watching, sometimes we see navigator simply reading (?) even without looking at the road..!!

Mods:
I couldn't find any similar thread, but if it is, please guide me.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:44   #2
BHPian

Hope this helps. Navigator is not an accessory but very very important who can make or break a driver (quite literally )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pacenoting by Coral Taylor.pdf (142.3 KB, 5860 views)
Old 14th December 2009, 17:33   #3
BANNED

While rallying, you do not get directions like "from Salem, take NH47 to Avinashi; turn off to SH No. # from ....." etc.

What you get is a map; with distances and directions marked out. Some important landmarks and hazards may be marked.

Since you have to maintain your timings during a rally, what the navigator has to do is to translate the distances on the map into kilometers per hour. And the driver has to maintain that speed, PROVIDED it is within legally permissible limits.

Again, the navigator has to judge the distances accurately, and tell the driver the accurate turn offs. Else, the vehicle is going to get lost.

I remember once, during the Popular rally in Kerala, the leading team's navigator goofed up, and turned off about 50 Meters before the designated turn off; and the team which was 2nd till that point finally won the rally - this info was on the papers. The evening of the event, one of the guys manning the time check points was wondering how the winning team over took the runner up team, because it was a jungle road, and there was absolutely not even a inch of space to overtake.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:18   #4
BHPian

Navigator is the Most Important as he tells you where to go what you cannot see. It just helps you to keep a Mad Speed through Blind Corners.

Do contact me if you want more info.
I am not a Navigator but a Driver.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Heres another good thread : Know Your Pace Notes

cya
R
Old 15th February 2010, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

There are two kinds of rallys. TSD format and SS format. TSD means Time Speed Distance and SS means Special Stages. Though navigator is important in both but generally a TSD is known as a navigators rally.
All teams are given a TULIP (a rally route chart). In a TSD format the navigator besides showing the correct course is also required to give the exact speed and time for a particular point to point markers. Hence his role is very important.
need to go urgently will come back and complete later.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:41   #7
BHPian

And how can one learn to be a navigator? .
Old 15th February 2010, 15:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
All teams are given a TULIP (a rally route chart). In a TSD format the navigator besides showing the correct course is also required to give the exact speed and time for a particular point to point markers.
How is this TULIP looks like? any sample doc?
Old 15th February 2010, 17:45   #9
BHPian

A chap I know ended up with his bike in a stream because his navigator yelled 'right turn' instead of left. I've done a little bit of rallying myself and there is no way you can finish a rally without a good navigator. I had seen some chaps attempt to ride solo with the tulip on a clipboard tied to the handlebar, but it always seemed to be a harebrained idea to me.
Also, any idea why a Tulip is called a tulip? Asked this question many times but no one knew. The most creative response I got was 'thats like asking why the bible is called the bible'.
Old 14th March 2010, 17:13   #10
BHPian

hmm interesting - I always wondered how important a navigator was and would a gps device pre-programmed with all the data be better - doesn't look like here :-)

will have to wait for rally experts on tbhp like megazoid to comment!
Old 14th March 2010, 18:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Done a bit of rallying and would also define navigator and team manager apart from other things.....

GPS automation is a problem if the driver also has to interpret / look at screens and drive at the same time. Unless you have rallied it seems trivial job.

WRT to technology even driver is getting replaced!!
Old 14th March 2010, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Oops, I thought navigator was some GPS-like instrument. lol.
Old 14th March 2010, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Done a bit of rallying and would also define navigator and team manager apart from other things.....

GPS automation is a problem if the driver also has to interpret / look at screens and drive at the same time. Unless you have rallied it seems trivial job.

WRT to technology even driver is getting replaced!!
well we already have gps with voice navigation - so I am not sure how close technology is to replacing the navigator - then again I am just too much of a noob

driver on the other hand, I don't think we can replace with technology
Old 14th March 2010, 19:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

The role of navigator varies from the type of rally.

I am a co-driver in the INRC, here I take care of the documentation, getting all the necessary stuff done before the rally. I will make note of the official time of the rally, synchronise my watch and my driver's watch to the official rally time.

During recce, we use the tulip given to mark out the transport stages and once we enter the special stages, I prepare the pace notes according to my driver's preference.
We usually go over the pace notes and correct them when we do a repeat of the SS during the recce.

On the day of the stages, the co-driver will be given the time card at the start of the rally, I make sure the driver enters the timing checkpoints at the exact time. A minutes late entry will attract penalty points, so does entering the checkpoint early.
Also I make sure the mech's finish the service within the time specified for the service.

During the SS, make sure the times are entered in the time card, give the start time for that stage to the driver, give the countdown to the start of the stage. Read out the pace notes to the driver during the SS, get the time card filled in by the marshals at the end of the stages.

At the end of the day, I will get the starting time for the next day so that we arrive at the parc ferme at the correct time (believe me, some guys screw this up).
The whole process repeats again for the next day of the rally.

In INRC, if the co-driver hold the rally driver's license, then the co-driver can drive the rally car on the transport stages or if the driver is incapacitated.
The co-driver cannot drive the rally car if he holds just the co-drivers license.
Old 14th March 2010, 21:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
......driver on the other hand, I don't think we can replace with technology
Google for "driver less car rally" and you'd be surprised. And this one link is particularly interesting:
http://futurity.org/science-technolo...le-pikes-peak/

Last edited by sudev : 14th March 2010 at 21:29.

Most Viewed