Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 01:41   #1

Webber's problem at Hockenheim

A little technical aspect from the race....

On lap 46, Webber got a radio message from his race engineer: "Your car has oil consumption troubles. Brake hard and late."

Can anyone explain what's the problem and how is it solved by braking hard and late??

I had posted this in the 2010 German GP thread but got no replies..I desperately want to know this!
Old 31st July 2010, 20:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... interesting.

Obviously the first thought that comes to mind has something to do with the braking forces possibly getting more oil to the pump (dry sump on an F1 car though).

However, even if the guy didn't brake hard, i'm sure it would do the trick -- so this doesn't seem like a very viable reason.

Do you have a source/link for this radio message? Or did you (mis)hear it on the TV?

cya
R
Old 31st July 2010, 21:46   #3

I was on the F1 Live Timings side-by-side so I noted down exactly what was written there.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^+1
Yes that was the message on the team radio infact it is reproduced in the OP 'verbatim'.
Old 1st August 2010, 01:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

some more info ?

At about half distance, the team told me about the oil-consumption problem and from that moment onwards my only concern was getting to the end of the race. I nursed the car by braking earlier, changing my downshift pattern and not using the F-duct, and it worked for a while.
After studying the telemetry, the team then told me to brake harder and later, and that was enough to get me to the end of the race.
It was frustrating not to score more than six points, but that was better than nothing

Engine trouble stopped me seeing swap writes Mark Webber | Adelaide Now
Old 1st August 2010, 23:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks bottle!

Translated : The team told him to take it easy, he did, then they told him not to take it that easy!

Bummer. I was hoping for a mind-blowing F1 explanation!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2010 at 23:16.
Old 19th August 2011, 18:33   #7
BHPian

Re: Webber's problem at Hockenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvpF1crazy View Post
Can anyone explain what's the problem and how is it solved by braking hard and late??
I'm sorry but the only reason I can of that is, when you brake slowly, you brake over a longer time, so effectively total heat production from the brakes is more, hence fuel consumption more. I maybe wrong but thats all I have.

Also maybe out of topic, but Webber's fault always is his start. He ruins his hard work during qualifying by a bad start....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks