Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 12:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel leak from the Flyte. Help!

Hi folks,

Not quite sure where to post this since I searched for similar thread but couldn't find one. Have also posted it on Gearless Scooters Thread- mods please delete the duplicate post as you deem fit.

Our Kinetic Flyte has suddenly sprung a fuel leak. Petrol is leaking from the bottom of the bike. It was absolutely fine till my wife took it for a refuel this morning. She says she asked him to top up the tank rather than fill up 100/- as she usually does. Just after the fill-up, the petrol pump attendant told her that her fuel was leaking (she didn't notice it leaking before then). She has parked it at a garage next to the petrol station- have asked her strictly not to start the bike since there is a danger of it catching fire or something.

I asked if she hit anything hard but she says she hasn't. A friend suggested that maybe someone tried to pilfer petrol by cutting the fuel line. But why should that show up only after filling up the tank?

The garage guy is quoting 200/- to "open the bike" and says if it is a fuel tank issue it will cost 1000/- to replace the tank. I think that's a little suspicious so asked her not to let him touch it yet. One option is to take it to the official Mahindra service station but that's quite a distance away and not possible without starting it.

What could be the problem? And the solution?
Old 4th May 2011, 12:52   #2
BHPian

re: Fuel leak from the Flyte. Help!

IMHO starting the bike should not cause any issue. How fast is the fuel leaking? Is it only a few drops or is it draining fast? If it is draining fast then it can be the fuel line and in that case it will not start.
Best option would be to take it to the nearest Mahindra ***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hi folks,

Not quite sure where to post this since I searched for similar thread but couldn't find one. Have also posted it on Gearless Scooters Thread- mods please delete the duplicate post as you deem fit.

Our Kinetic Flyte has suddenly sprung a fuel leak. Petrol is leaking from the bottom of the bike. It was absolutely fine till my wife took it for a refuel this morning. She says she asked him to top up the tank rather than fill up 100/- as she usually does. Just after the fill-up, the petrol pump attendant told her that her fuel was leaking (she didn't notice it leaking before then). She has parked it at a garage next to the petrol station- have asked her strictly not to start the bike since there is a danger of it catching fire or something.

I asked if she hit anything hard but she says she hasn't. A friend suggested that maybe someone tried to pilfer petrol by cutting the fuel line. But why should that show up only after filling up the tank?

The garage guy is quoting 200/- to "open the bike" and says if it is a fuel tank issue it will cost 1000/- to replace the tank. I think that's a little suspicious so asked her not to let him touch it yet. One option is to take it to the official Mahindra service station but that's quite a distance away and not possible without starting it.

What could be the problem? And the solution?
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 12:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
...What could be the problem? And the solution?
Replied to your query in the gearless scooters thread.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 13:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Its a little difficult to say anything without seeing the bike.

Can they wipe the tank, and find out where the leak is coming from. The garage guy should be able to do that. Just keep an eye so no parts are replaced.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 14:16   #5
BHPian

Re: Fuel leak from the Flyte. Help!

I can relate to the issue that you have mentioned

I used to work on my Kinetic Pride way back in the early 2000s. The issue can be one of the following

1. The fuel tank itself leaking is quite uncommon. The pride had a plastic tank. Flyte i am not sure but might have a steel tank. In case it is steel then rust can cause the leak.

2. The fuel tap - Not sure if you have that in the flyte, but if you do then that might have to be replaced

3. The pipes - This is the most common and due to age the fuel pipes might start leaking

In this case it is best that you visit a *** as you should use OEM parts otherwise they will keep recurring
kaushikkrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 21:22   #6
BANNED

just check if the fuel over flowed .. It might be a simple case where the fuel was over filled and it started leaking .
Old 5th May 2011, 23:27   #7
BHPian

Best solution I can think of is that noopster opens up the flyte ( its probably a side panel with 3 bolts to get you there) and locate the leak! Once noopster goes there solution would be easy!
Old 6th May 2011, 00:37   #8
BHPian

I had seen my flyte being serviced in the workshop.

It can be a case of fuel leak from the cover holding the fuel guage.

The petrol tank apperently if fiteed snug into the chassis and is well protected. Also there is a protection from under. So any impact damage would be obvious on outer parts first.
This cover of fuel gauge is fitted quite flimsy. My flyte's fuel gauge stopped reading and I was fussy about it being replaced. I did not take my fathers advice on ignoring it and using basic arithmatic to understand when to top up fuel.
When I left her at the service station, I received a call next day that there is a problem. The problem was that they tried to remove the cover to replace fuel gauge. But the studs fitted from inside started turning along the nuts and now the cover was no more leak proof. In a bid, I had to get a new tank with gauge pre-installed.
Now she is running quite fine. Hope my this experience may be of some help to you.
Rgds.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

alright here are my two paise on the issue!

you mentioned the fuel started leaking after the tank was filled to the brim right???

well one possible thing could be that, most of the fuel tanks come with a breather or a reverse/fuel re-routing pipe, this done to make sure vacuum is not formed when over filled, check if there are any leaks there!

and in most two wheelers, at a certain highest point of the tank that is above the capacity of the fuel to be filled, there is a drain pipe give to ensure there is no over filling and/or vacuum formation, i recently installed a fuel key-lock on my apache's tank (couldnt catch my petrol thief and it was frustrating) and i noticed a drain pipe on the the reverse side of the tank when the mechanic opened it, i was told it was the drain pipe hole and the pipe ran all the way down to the rear swing arm along with rest of the set of drain pipes and crank case breather pipe!

so my advice is have a mahindra A.S.S. mechanic examine it first, if you persuade enough i am sure the service center guys would send a mechanic to examine your scooter, and once the diagnostic is complete and thorough, you can work out the appropriate solution.

p.s. i really hope its the over drain and not a serious thing to get you worried!

cheers!
Old 6th May 2011, 08:52   #10
BHPian

@noopster, show the bike to any shop which services modern scooters- activa etc, they can fix it. If you got warranty cover, go to a$$ or get their mech to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
... and i noticed a drain pipe on the the reverse side of the tank when the mechanic opened it, i was told it was the drain pipe hole and the pipe ran all the way down to the rear swing arm along with rest of the set ...
Sure its not the water drain below the lid?? The small hole beside filling mouth on tank which takes away water seeping in around the lid.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Leaking fuel tank was a common trait of the earlier Flyte's ! Don't know about the newer one's ! If your flyte is new one , go to the Service station , and get it replaced . I faced same problem with my sister's flyte !
Old 17th May 2011, 13:14   #12
BHPian

fuel pump info ?

Flyte has a fuel pump to lift petrol from tank below floorboard.

Anyone know which type pump it is? electric or vacuum pulse; vane or diaphragm etc.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I have been experiencing starting problems with a Flyte (just adding here instead of creating a new thread).
Initially the poroblem was thought to be the battery and was therefore replaced. After this, there were no issues for a few months.
However, now it is purely a matter of luck if the Flyte even gets started by the 'kick start' option. Needless to say the auto start doesnt work at all. A couple of days ago, I was able to kick start it into action, but yesterday it refused to budge at all.
Would it be a problem with the spark plug? If so, why does it start at some times and doesnt at other times?
thanks for any advice you can provide

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks