Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 14:26   #1
BHPian

SS Braided brake line for my RD350

Hi all,

My rd350 is having a fury disc upfront with a pulsar caliper, hose & master cylinder. The OE pulsar brake line is just about the perfect length b'coz it comes for a 17" tyre upfront. However, i need a longer line.

Where can i get an SS braided line in India? I know the new P220 has one. But i need some 1-2" longer one.

I found some decent ones in Ebay.sg [Singapore]

Is it easy to procure one through e-bay? If it reaches home directly via courier, i prefer that way. I cant run around customs people[and bribe] for a cheap item like this. Too much head-ache i believe.

Any experiences? Please enlighten me.. Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 14:52   #2
BHPian

Re: SS Braided brake line for my RD350

Best way would be if you can have some body hand carry it, its pretty easily available in the various spare part shops in spore.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:33   #3
BHPian

Hi Arun,
If you are buying thru ebay then it will come thru the postal customs to your nearest foreign post office and then you will get a letter for the duty you have to pay and you can go pay and collect the item from there. But always ask the seller for a tracking number and that tracking number remains teh same in IPS Web Tracking/Item Tracking

Cheers
Jay
Old 6th June 2011, 15:55   #4
BHPian

If you dont mind using a conventional one, get the Avenger's brake hose! Costs some 400 bucks and is the right length plus the brake feels is good!

Cheers!
Old 6th June 2011, 17:23   #5
BHPian

customs wont stop small packages like your of just brake lines . at most they charge duties which you have to pay the postman when he comes to your house to deliver the item . if customs do block a package when value is seriously under declared or item is suspicious or banned then they send a letter to your house asking for invoices and paperwork .

btw i have seen steel braided lines on many bike mod shops so do look around before ordering online.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

customs wont stop such small packages.
no duty either.
I ordered a full 5 metre roll of header wrap and silicone joiners, in one package, total weight was about 500g, size was like a fluffed-up manila envelope.
no hassles!
Just that the shipping was about half of the total cost of the two added.

and then i found the same stuff in the local shops, with a premium of just a few hundred.but this saves a lot of shipping time, as delivery from ebay outside india can take anything from 10 days to (DX-style) 1 month.

so look around, and if you dont find, then order.
Old 11th June 2011, 19:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Avenger or Eliminator's brake line should be more than sufficient. Am using the same set on my 350 as well.
Old 11th June 2011, 20:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

For low value items less than $100 postal customs do not charge any duty. Sometimes they do not charge any duty for higher value items too I have sourced many items via ebay via this route and i got them duty free almost always.

But my luck ran out recently with an item which cost $225. Had to forward few papers to Foreign PO Kochi and pay a fine via DD to get it released. It'll get delivered next week and have to pay the duty at my local PO when they deliver it :(
Old 14th June 2011, 19:32   #9
BHPian

Thanks all. I bought an avenger hose for the time being. Its long enough and cheap. 420 Bucks only. Will post some before & after pics later when its done.
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:52   #10
BHPian

Quick-fix for the time being.. Avenger brake hose
Attached Thumbnails
SS Braided brake line for my RD350-tbhp-ss.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2011, 11:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Quick-fix for the time being.. Avenger brake hose
How come my Bike does not appear to be off the same length even though i have used Eliminator Brake Hose Pipe? Will recheck and try to post a snap of my bike with the kit. How is the Fury kit working for you? Felt they were a tad too soft for a RD 350
Is the fork assembly also from Fury?
Old 25th June 2011, 11:42   #12

Nice job!

Could you please let us know what front fork and bottom tube (with caliper mounts) setup you have?
I'm looking to fit a front disc on my RD 350 too.

A couple of open questions for all members:

Would the bottom tube (with caliper mounts) of the Pulsar range, CBZ or any other Indian bike fit on the OEM RD forks?

If we would like to change the full front fork assembly, which Indian bike fork assembly would be the best match and require minimum modification?

As far as the steel braided brake lines go, you get them at some motorcycle accessory shops. I bought two, one from New Delhi and one from Hyderabad.
The price is around Rs.700 - 750 per line and they are usually available in different lengths.

Cheers!
Old 25th June 2011, 23:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGTR View Post
Nice job!

Could you please let us know what front fork and bottom tube (with caliper mounts) setup you have?
I'm looking to fit a front disc on my RD 350 too.

A couple of open questions for all members:

Would the bottom tube (with caliper mounts) of the Pulsar range, CBZ or any other Indian bike fit on the OEM RD forks?

If we would like to change the full front fork assembly, which Indian bike fork assembly would be the best match and require minimum modification?

Cheers!
Turbo,
Would suggest you to retain the existing fork and modify it a bit to suit the Eliminator/Avenger Brakes. Personally would advise you Eliminator since the kit is made by KBX (Kalyani Brakes). KBX is quite a reputed OEM Manufacturer for majority of cars & bikes that are made in India (google is your best friend here). Not quite sure which make you will get when you purchase Avenger Kit. Also the Eliminator is better suited since the disc is of 240 MM dia when compared to 248 MM of original Disc Size that was fitted on Yam RD 350A back in 1973. Even the brake levers & clutch levers of eliminator suit the RD pretty well in terms of Lever Span
Have seen a couple of my friends put in Pulsar brake kits which is of 220 MM which does the job decently but has the tendency of a short life on brake pads.

Regarding CBZ brake kits better avoid them as Pricol aint a manufacturer with great quality.

My RD 350 did have a Eliminator Disc Brake Setup in the front which has been now removed since I was able to pick up an original Fork Assembly with Disc Break Set up from US during my days there.

Do let me know if you require any further information around this.
Currently am restoring my RD 350 hence would not be able to send you photos of the Eliminator set up. However if required give me a shout will try to get some snaps when a visit is due to my mechanic's garage.

You can avoid Fury Disc Set up as you would not be able to source any spares for it. If you do get it, might work as long as it can. Not worth the sweat going in for a fury set up.

Last edited by ku69rd : 25th June 2011 at 23:54.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 13:44   #14
BHPian

I have personally used the fury setup and that didnt last long, now have plonked in a complete FZ front end, working gr8 for last year and half, turning radius is a bit less but you dont sens that much while on the move.

A close friend runs a 220 front end and that is fantastic too, IMHO, just dont look at it as a pure brake replacement, this replacement would significantly enhance the handling of your bike.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 16:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
I have personally used the fury setup and that didnt last long, now have plonked in a complete FZ front end, working gr8 for last year and half, turning radius is a bit less but you dont sens that much while on the move.
Would not the FZ Set up be a tad too heavy on the RD and affect its nimbleness in city traffic with reduced flickability? Not quite if it would be really helpful in long sweeping curves as well
Also did you change the Steering Stem(T Stem) & Top Plate? Does it not create a strain on the neck of chassis?
Can you please post some photos of this?
Apologies for asking too many questions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks