Team-BHP - Apache vs Pulsar vs Karizma
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Apache vs Pulsar vs Karizma (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/103615-apache-vs-pulsar-vs-karizma.html)

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new bike within a month or so. I Have been using pulsar 150 for the past 2 years. I loved that bike, great ride quality, comfortable, good milleage and speed.

Currently I weigh 105 Kgs, many people told me to go for a big one this time, since I am huge and big and it will suit me. they advised me to buy avenger or thunderbird. I amnot really sure which one to go for.

I don't care whether the bike will look small for me or I will look big for the bike. I only consider great ride quality, it should be comfortable with all latest features.

I have shortlisted these bikes. please advise on them

Apache RTR 180 - one of the mechanic said, not to buy - no resale value. good - features, ABS.

Pulsar 150/180 - compartively very small than what i currently have, very lightweight.

yamaha - not sure about it. good looks.

Karizma - great looks, bad milleage

price - should be less than 90,000

Well, if you are thinking of buying a bike for keeps for atleast 3-4 years then resale should really not matter much. But yes, what your mechanic said is right. Pulsars have the highest resale, followed by TVS and Yamaha a far third due to low mileage.

Have you test driven the bikes you have shortlisted? What is the mileage you are expecting? Are you looking only at 150/180 cc bikes?

It would help if you list your priorities and preferences in a bit more detailed fashion.

At the outset, you can consider P220, Avenger 220 and the Thunder Bird TS in your list and test drive them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udayjani (Post 2409330)

Karizma - great looks, bad milleage

Well this is certainly not correct. I own a Karizma for over two years and never got below 35 KMPL average figures. Refer to my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-counting.html.My bike gives me overall mileage of 35-42 KMPL depending on driving pattern. Others bike mentioned by you like RTR, P180 and etcetera will give you same mileage around 35-40. But these bikes certainly lacks the refinement of Karizma.

I will suggest you to go for a Karizma or at least TD it to know the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 2409375)
Well, if you are thinking of buying a bike for keeps for atleast 3-4 years then resale should really not matter much. But yes, what your mechanic said is right. Pulsars have the highest resale, followed by TVS and Yamaha a far third due to low mileage.

Have you test driven the bikes you have shortlisted? What is the mileage you are expecting? Are you looking only at 150/180 cc bikes?

It would help if you list your priorities and preferences in a bit more detailed fashion.

At the outset, you can consider P220, Avenger 220 and the Thunder Bird TS in your list and test drive them.

Priorities and Preferences:

Daily usage - around 30 KM, monthly once highway trip around 300Km

Mileage - around 40-50Kmpl

good ride quality... should be comfortable

will be using it for another 2-3 years.

I have test driven the new pulsar 150.. its too lightweight than the older one I have. I will not consider p150...

please give some advise on these bikes plus their resale values:

Apache RTR 180
Bajaj Avenger 220
Karizma ZMR
yamaha R15
Pulsar 220

Is FE a major concern for you? Because apart from Pulsar 150cc which will return a ~45 kmpl, all others will be sub-40 kmpl.

Among those, you could look at Pulsar 220 and Karizma (225cc). For sub-200cc, you could look at FZ, Pulsar 180, Apache 180 and CBZ.

Of course, the Thunderbird is always there.

Why don't you TD all the bikes and decide what suits you, riding style, comfort, FE and price wise.

Unless you are going to sell the bike within 5 years, why worry about resale?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 2409407)

My bike gives me overall mileage of 35-42 KMPL depending on driving pattern. Others bike mentioned by you like RTR, P180 and etcetera will give you same mileage around 35-40. But these bikes certainly lacks the refinement of Karizma.

I will suggest you to go for a Karizma or at least TD it to know the difference.

+1 to that.

Also, Avenger might prove to be a bad choice if you anything around or above 6ft.

I think your best bet would be following, in my order of preference :-

I feel, it would be very helpful if you can give us more details. E.g. :- Budget, Height, Purpose of buying a new ride (commuting/touring), Pillion if any (to ensure pillion comfort)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrig (Post 2409454)
I feel, it would be very helpful if you can give us more details. E.g. :- Budget, Height, Purpose of buying a new ride (commuting/touring), Pillion if any (to ensure pillion comfort)

+1 The available information is not sufficient.

For a tall & huge guy I would recommend the Hunk too, it a good combination of style, mileage, comfort & decent power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrig (Post 2409454)

Budget - Anything less than 90,000/-

Height - 6.2

Purpose of buying - Just few days sold my SX4 due to some financial problem, commuting strictly in cities for office around 30KM a day, Monthly once I shall consider a long trip.

Pillion - No.... sometimes I have to take my parents.

For your height The Karizma ZMR & TB are perfect match. R15, RTR & Avenger are surely ruled out.

Both ZMR & TB are comfortable to ride & have mileage around 35-40 kpl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 2409627)
For you height The Karizma ZMR & TB are perfect match. R15, RTR & Avenger is surely ruled out.

Both ZMR & TB are comfortable to ride & have mileage around 35-40 kpl

Completely agree with Technocrat.

Karizma ZMR & TB are great bikes and considering you plan to take you parents as pillion, other bikes may not provide them the comfort that would be desired.

But if 90K is the max that you can afford and cannot stretch beyond that, both bikes end up being out of question. Under this sitiuation, you can always consider the good old Karizma ZMA (I believe they still make/sell them) and Bajaj P220 S or P200.

Also, the STD 350 UCE (twinspark) might not be a bad option to consider. This bike is highly comfortable, excellent pillion comfort and great on pocket too. Plus it gives you the pleasure of owning the revamped classic which has always ruled the roads. :)

Considering your requirements and budget, also keeping in mind your build...the karizma and P220 will be the best options. You may also consider an used electra/machismo in decent condition but mileage will be bit low.

The Karizma ticks all the boxes, it's got good ergonomics and has good grunt t, the 300km monthly trip would be a breeze on the ZMA.

The Karizma returns decent mileage, with averaging around 35 for many owners and can increase with the right throttle use. The ZMA returns good average on highways.
My vote the ZMA.

Cheers

Karizma-R (Carb version) and the P220 are best suited for the purpose outlined & budget. In the P220 you can also choose the one without the fairing for ease of riding in the cities. Both have good power (Pulsar a lot more), comfortable seating position, return almost similar FE (Pulsar might give a bit more based on riding style). Pulsar will be cheaper to maintain in the long run compared to the Zma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantrig (Post 2409760)
you can always consider the good old Karizma ZMA (I believe they still make/sell them)

Yes, The Karizma R is still in production to compete with P220. It is for those who have strict budget and cannot go for ZMR. Also I know some people who bought ZMA-R just because it has kick starter whereas ZMR has not. Earlier this year HH refreshed it with few cosmetic changes http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/96095-hero-honda-launches-refreshed-karizma-r.html

Today i drove a Karizma of one of my team members. It is a good bike. For the kind built you have it fits the bill. Only problem i see is the fuel efficiency (My team member gets less then 35, but some of the folks on the forum are getting more than that), and price. I think it costed him over 90K. More than the range you have specified. Also its in Bangalore hence might be because of that, in Chennai you might get it slightly cheaper.