Team-BHP - Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/103698-enfield-bullet-classic-350-versus-classic-500-a-10.html)

Bookings are not transferable, as far as I know.

Now that uce classics come with different handle bars, 350 with old std-ish & 500's with electra-ish which one do you guys think offers better riding position?

I couldn't get back to back ride to compare direct & hence this query to you guys. Confusion also aided by the old ci electra i ride stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennjit (Post 2737521)
Now that uce classics come with different handle bars, 350 with old std-ish & 500's with electra-ish which one do you guys think offers better riding position?

I couldn't get back to back ride to compare direct & hence this query to you guys. Confusion also aided by the old ci electra i ride stupid:

Rennjie, My CL500 has got the revised Electra kind of raised handlebar. Its simply perfect. Upright and no pain what so ever. :)

Thanks Arun :) good to know you feel comfortable with it. i've infact placed an order since only 350 types are available off the shelf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennjit (Post 2738725)
Thanks Arun :) good to know you feel comfortable with it. i've infact placed an order since only 350 types are available off the shelf.

Just make sure that its from the CL500 itself. The regular Electra ones are more raised. Spot the difference here..

Royal Motor Cycle

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruncheloor (Post 2738682)
Rennjie, My CL500 has got the revised Electra kind of raised handlebar. Its simply perfect. Upright and no pain what so ever. :)

That is a welcome change for the classic.
Hope they do they same with the CL350 also.
Otherwise its like ridding on a horse, its always better to have the handle bar on a higher level especially if you are taller.

Changing into electra handle after delivery will require change of the cables including the disc brakes costing more than 3k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruncheloor (Post 2738682)

That sounds like a welcome change for CL 500. Can you please post the pics of your bike ? Especially the handle area ?

If CL 500 has improved on the comfort, the waiting list for Thunderbird 500 might just reduce. :)

This handle bar change was incorporated a long time ago by RE. With the 19" front wheel & 120 section rear upgrade and all. Its nothing new. You will find pictures in the CL500 thread. And its not as raised as the regular Electra one. Well, i've ridden an Electra 4S only. I found the handle bar position to be too high on that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiran77 (Post 2685019)
I may sound stupid here. Is anybody planning to cancel the booking of Desert Storm?

If its anytime soon (week or month) I would love to take it!

Call me on 9880443271

I don't think its easy to transfer bookings like that. I myself had purchased my RE through an existing booking. Had to get it registered in his name and then transfer it to mine even though I had it from day zero.

I am planning to sell my bike now though - the Ad can be seen here:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-sale/18904/

If you're open to non desert storm then you could have a look.

Cheers.

PS: just realised you're based in B'lore not Mumbai so don't know how easy it will be for you but feel free to have a look anyway if you're interested

Even though I've been mostly a (classic) car fan rather than a motor cycle fan, I've decided to get myself a Royal Enfield.

I'm not going to drive it for long tours, just to potter around a bit.

I've been to the dealer in Gurgaon and I've visited Karol Bagh market.

I've decided to go for a classic 350 type of model. I've looked at several second hand bikes at Karol Bagh market. I found that at the least the starting asking price wasn't that far of from a brand new one. When I look on line for second hand Royal Enfields the asking price for a bike say 2-3 years old with 4-5000 km on it, is only just below the new price.

So a couple of questions:
- what sort of discount should I be able to get from a dealer on a new bike?
- what about insurance, can somebody advice me on where to get insurance and would they accept me with "learners permit" initially
- What are the main differences between the current new classic 350 and the older ones. I see these days they have electronic ignition, but are there more fundamental differences?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen
Even though I've been mostly a (classic) car fan rather than a motor cycle fan, I've decided to get myself a Royal Enfield.

I'm not going to drive it for long tours, just to potter around a bit.

I've been to the dealer in Gurgaon and I've visited Karol Bagh market.

I've decided to go for a classic 350 type of model. I've looked at several second hand bikes at Karol Bagh market. I found that at the least the starting asking price wasn't that far of from a brand new one. When I look on line for second hand Royal Enfields the asking price for a bike say 2-3 years old with 4-5000 km on it, is only just below the new price.

So couple of questions:
- what sort of discount should I be able to get from a dealer on a new bike?
- what about insurance, can somebody advice me on where to get insurance and would they accept me with "learners permit" initially
- What are the main differences between the current new classic 350 and the older ones. I see these days they have electronic ignition, but are there more fundamental differences?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Hey Jeroen.

First of all you need to find out what thing you liked on RE, if its just another bike for you then you may get frustrated in very less time but if you are sold on its looks, stance, riding quality then its bike for you.

So about you questions,
No dealer on earth will offer any discount on bullet :P instead you will be lucky if you get delivery in less than a month.
Dealers have some insurance company but you try your contacts, i don't think there i any facility like learners permits etc.
There were couple of engines RE introduced in market however the cast iron is most famous for its royal thump, then AVL etc. the new engine comes with all RE bikes is UCE which is new generation engine with all in one, mileage, power, refinement but yes you will not get the CI thump in it but after all its personal choice and use.

I am booking Classic 500 Today, waiting period is 5 months here in Pune.

Thanks,
Vishal

Having bought a RE recently, lemme share my experience!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 2961478)
...what sort of discount should I be able to get from a dealer on a new bike?

None. Further you must be prepared to wait for about 6 to 8 months depending on the production cycle unless the dealer promises an earlier date.

Quote:

what about insurance, can somebody advice me on where to get insurance and would they accept me with "learners permit" initially
Just leave it to the dealer. As long as you have a Valid Proof of Residence in India, your Vehicle Registration and Insurance formalities are taken care. The dealer's commission on two wheeler insurance is not very high for you to do it on your own.

Unlike the west, rider's profile has got very little to do with the insurance here. So you will not have a problem with your insurance even if you don't know how to ride.

Quote:

What are the main differences between the current new classic 350 and the older ones. I see these days they have electronic ignition, but are there more fundamental differences?
The main difference would be the brake and gear layout. The older ones had the gear shift lever on the Right and the brakes on the left. The latest ones have it the other way round, just like any modern 100 cc bike.

The other differences would depend on the vintage of the bike you are referring too. The latest UCE 350 is supposedly more reliable and fuel efficient. However it lacks the classic thump of the old school cast iron bulls.

Thanks, I might go second hand after all, because I just don't want to wait that long.
I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to research how to go about getting an Indian Motor Cycle license. I understand I need to get a learners permit first. Seems pretty straight forward. But I haven't been able to find anywhere whether such a learner permit will allow me to drive my own Motor Cycle and if so are there any restrictions?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 2961944)
...But I haven't been able to find anywhere whether such a learner permit will allow me to drive my own Motor Cycle and if so are there any restrictions?

Ofcourse, You can! Copying the specific query from Delhi Transport Department for easy reference:

Quote:

Q. How does the Learner's license authorized me to drive ?

Ans:It allows you to learn driving with a regular and experienced driver of your choice. If you want to drive a motor car or a two-wheeler, this should be along with a friend, relative or an instructor of a driving school who holds a valid driving license....
The friend or relative clause, though highly recommended from safety POV could be dispensed with, at your discretion.

For detailed FAQ, check this out.

Well, I've done it, bit the bullet and bought myself a bullet!

Got myself a 1978 Classic 350. Bought it at Joga Motor, Karol Bagh market, Delhi. I found several people, including two colleagues of mine who bought similar bikes there in the last 12 months. Everybody I spoke to was very pleased with their bikes and how they had been dealt with.

So went there last Saturday and decided to place my order. They strip their bikes, repaint and overhaul them completely. I've chosen a dark blue paint job, looks magnificent. Mine will be ready early January. Stand by for some pictures by then. Standard Classic 350, but with a 5 speed gear box because I like my shifter left / brake right. Apparently, that configuration isn't available/possible on the original 4 speed box.

I've been searching for some workshop- and owners- manuals. I've found several websites that have workshop manuals, but only as web pages, not as pdf-file down load. Same for the owners manual.

Anybody any suggestion where to find these manuals? I'd be very happy just to buy them hard copy, but I haven't found any bookshop here in Delhi that has them.

Found a online shop in the UK, so I can always order them there and have it sent to me. But I'd like to start reading now! I've agreed that they will strip the engine completely and invite me to inspect and to watch the rebuild.

So I really want to have some good knowledge on the various parts, measurements and tolerance. I'm no biker, but I'm very familiar with engines and engine overhaul procedures. So I'm looking forward to this.

They're also lending me an old bike for a few weeks so I can familiarize myself and get some hands on experience driving a Royal Enfield in Delhi. Not a bad thought, as I've never driven a bike. As Mrs Rana of Joga Motors put it; I dont want you falling over on your new bike, better get some practices on one of my old bikes. My last experience was mopeds when I was 16-17. But hey, I'm Dutch and I've been riding bicycles all my life. So balancing on two wheels shouldn't be to difficult. And at my age, you get really cautious. You don't want to fall of anything, period!

I've also found some people that can help me getting my Indian license.

Really looking forward to be taking delivery of my Royal Enfield!

Jeroen