Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 23:22   #1
BHPian

Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250? Edit - Bought a used Ninja 250

My Yamaha Enticer has served me for 8 years and the want to change the bike has been growing on me from some time now.
I needed a bike that is quick and that responds well. I thought of buying a used Yamaha RX 135, but somehow that idea did not stay long.

I test drove the CBR 250. I did not like the performance very much. I felt it was like the Karizma till 6000 RPM. It felt good only after it was pushed to higher RPM. Is the Ninja 250 also similar to the CBR 250 is this aspect?

I read the comparison between the Ninja and the CBR and almost everybody says its the Ninja is better it terms of power. I find it difficult to convince myself to pay 1 more Lakh for a similar bike. So the thought of buying a used Ninja came up to my mind.

Please advise if I should go for a new CBR or a used Ninja.

What factors should I look out for when buying a used Ninja?
Will maintaining the Ninja be very difficult/expensive or should it be comparable to owning a small car?
How is owning the Ninja or the CBR different from owning the other normal bikes - in terms of availibilty of spares, repair frequency?

Kindly help out here as I am confused.
Old 26th July 2011, 08:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart View Post
- Based on opinions in related threads, Ninja is a great track ride while CBR is better off on city roads

- Ninja needs a lot of revving to extract the power quotient, while CBR gives decent power at lower RPMs as well.

- Ninja is a much better looking bike in flesh and on the road.

- Ninja spares and service IMHO must be slightly higher then the CBR as the latter has localised parts.

- Maintaining the Ninja will be similar if not more then spending on a small car ownership (alto/santro)

- The difference between owning these 2 vis-a-vis a normal bike is that you need to be extra careful while riding on potholes (CBR wheels have cracked of one of the forum owners), city riding (engine heating up is common for this genre of bikes), parking (my bike was scratched all over by a low life within a week of buying), washing/cleaning, etc

But having said all this, any of the above is a damn good machine to own. And IMO, I am not very sure how easily will you be able to get your hands on a used CBR or Ninja, there will be very few sellers and hence the price difference over the actual OTR will not be much.

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 26th July 2011 at 08:27.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Salunkhe has already said what I wanted to say. Both are good bikes.

CBR is value for money. Ninja costs more and has better quality. The maintenance cost is also more for Ninja, but the service and quality of parts seems to be better than Honda.

Performance is better in Ninja, thanks to the extra cylinder. It is a high reving engine, so not as good in city compared to CBR. If you want a bike to take to track regularly, Ninja is the one to go for.

CBR has better ride quality compared to Ninja, because of softer suspension. Ninja has better handling.

I am in love with the wide seat and riding comfort of CBR on highway. I do not know about Ninja.

My CBR's alloy got bent when I hit a pothole at 75-80 kmph. So, you have to be careful with these bikes in city conditions and parking. I would recommend to have another commuter for city stints where the bike is prone to damage by others.

I would recommed to define your requirements and budget. Take a test ride of both and decide.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 26th July 2011 at 09:50.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 10:37   #4

Can someone discuss about the exhaust note for both the bikes.

IMO, exhaust note for Ninja is more soothing to ears than of CBRs'.

Cheers
Anirudh
Old 26th July 2011, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Hi RacerByHeart,

Ninja is definitely a more powerful bike, thanks to the extra cylinder!

For me, baby Ninja is way ahead in terms of power and the sheer pleasure of riding, no wonder it is the best selling 250 in the world!

I would rate Bajaj Probiking A.S.S higher than Honda A.S.S. although the spares are definitely costlier in the Ninja. Though I have always believed in Honda reliability and their refined engines, the latest Honda didn't exactly impress me with its power delivery or (now) reliability and component quality and availability (With BHPians facing quite a lot of different issues). I am sure all this would be sorted in the coming lot of bikes though! Rest is your call!
Old 26th July 2011, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RacebyHeart,
What would be your main purpose of this bike? City Commuting, Highway Travel or weekend track bike...
Old 26th July 2011, 11:54   #7
BHPian

RACEBYHEART : You may consider all the advice here, and may also want to look at the July 2011 (I hope I am correct with the edition) of Overdrive Magazine where they have compared both Ninja & Honda 250s..........! Personally, if price was not a factor, the Ninja is better bike.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:59   #8
BHPian

Hi Racerbyheart,

I was a extremely proud and happy N250 owner for a good 1.5yrs. this bike is way ahead in terms of quality, performance, handling as well as snob value.

The maintenance would be on a higher side since this is a CKD and almost every component is imported. The CBR has good low end torque compared to the Ninja, however this doesnt mean its not fun to ride in the city, it does require a bit more throttle.

I happened to ride a friends CBR for a good stretch of a little over 100kms and honestly IMHO it did not impress me one bit, the overall quality of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired, the performance is below par. The N250 looks way bigger than the CBR in flesh, have attached a pic for reference.

The Ninja resale value is also high so, please be prepared to shell out extra bucks for service and spares compared to the CBR.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250? Edit - Bought a used Ninja 250-ninja-cbr.jpg  

Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250? Edit - Bought a used Ninja 250-ninja-cbr1.jpg  

Speed-Freak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the comments.

I dont have a valid reason to buy a bike.
I have always liked fast set of wheels. It was a childhood dream to buy a really fast bike. I got my Enticer as a gift and could not do anything about it. Now I have a chance to buy a fast bike.

I had fallen in love with the RD during college days. But could not afford it then. It seems expensive and too old to purchase at thi time.

I got a chance to use a Honda 600 for a day, 2 years ago. From then the urge to use a sportsbike grew.

I plan to use the bike to the gym everyday. It would be about 2 km everyday. On weekends, I want to use the bike just because I have to use it .

My office is 30 KM from home, so I generally dont drive or ride to office.
I plan to use the bike to office once in a while. I probably will take it out on a highway once a month.

I want to use it on track. But where is a track in Bangalore. Closest I have heard is i Coimbatore. Please give me more details on this.
Old 26th July 2011, 13:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
RacebyHeart,
What would be your main purpose of this bike? City Commuting, Highway Travel or weekend track bike...
+1
As ku69rd mentions, the purpose will define the bike.
City Commuting, Relaxed Highway Travel = N250 (low/mid rev torque)
Fast&Furious Highway Travel or weekend track bike Ninja 250

Rest all details have been cleared by fellow members.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 26th July 2011, 13:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to use it on track. But where is a track in Bangalore. Closest I have heard is i Coimbatore. Please give me more details on this.
You got it right, Coimbatore & Madras both have racing tracks. If you wanna get a kick out of speeding then kwacker is where i would bet my money on. Off course 2 kms will be too short to think of any such acts because the engine would need some time before it ideally warms up and starts performing.

Agree to Sn1p3r's comments

Last edited by ku69rd : 26th July 2011 at 13:52.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:05   #12

it's easier to think of buying an second hand Ninja but it's much harder to find a good one. Unless, the N250 owner is thinking of upgrading to a N650R or higher there will be a hardly any Ninja's available for sale and i've always been suspicious of premium bikes in resale market, most of them are likely to involved in big accidents.
There are rumours that bajaj may reduce the prices of N250 by some 50K. If I were you, I would wait and pray for these rumours to become true
Old 26th July 2011, 17:59   #13
BHPian

Thanks again for the replies.

I found one seller and he was close to my office. I test drove the Ninja 250. It is awesome!

It is not comparable to the CBR 250. I felt that the bike had racing blood in it. It looks good too.

I am convinced that the N250 is better than the CBR 250 is every aspect that I am looking at. The exhaust tune was music. I was not sure when to shift gears, the bike just kept revving. It felt like she liked being revved high.

The bike is a smile generator. I am sure if I buy this, it will paint a smile on me everytime I ride it.

The asking price was way too high. It was 70k less than a new one, and it had run 4k KMS. Is 4000 KM too much? I had heard that these kind of bikes are not used much. Ex. 5000 km on ODO is high for a 3 year old bike

I have found another seller. Let me see how it goes with that.
It would be very helpful if you could give me few pointers to look for when checking it out.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart

Is 4000 KM too much? I had heard that these kind of bikes are not used much. Ex. 5000 km on ODO is high for a 3 year old bike

I have found another seller. Let me see how it goes with that.
It would be very helpful if you could give me few pointers to look for when checking it out.
Well if you're talking about a litre class bike, then yes maybe you can say that's quite a lot of running. Not for a 250 I would say!

While buying any used bike I would look for exhaust note and the engine grunt! A healthy engine can surely be distinguished!

Apart from this, I would look for handle bends, fork bends, bike pulling towards one side etc. I would also check the fairing for scratches through falls!

Apart from this, just a general overhaul from your trusted mechanic will help! In the case of a ninja though, you can go to probiking and get the service records checked. Cheers!
Old 27th July 2011, 10:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for the replies.

The asking price was way too high. It was 70k less than a new one, and it had run 4k KMS. Is 4000 KM too much? I had heard that these kind of bikes are not used much. Ex. 5000 km on ODO is high for a 3 year old bike
5000km is definately not high for a 250cc bike.

70k less then the MRP is not unconventional, as I mentioned in my post above - the asking rates will definately be high as re-sellers of such bikes IMO are a very rare species (atleast in the current scenario).

If I remember correctly, a 3-4 yr old Comet or Aquila was being sold for just 10-20k less then its MRP when bought, at times even at the same rate

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks