Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 10:26   #1
BHPian

Two Stroker's Pride..Four Stroker's Envy....

Here I'am penning down after a long time after letting of my beloved & faithful 200 see an other owner for cover. It's been a long time since I wanted a two stroker preferably an RxZ which were quoted some absurd prices by the mechs & owners for a piece of junk they show me saying that just a water wash would make the bike from standstill to moving in one "Go".

Me:What about the internals sir?
Seller:Being an third owner how am I supposed to know sir! Even I didn't dare to ask the previous owner about all these..!
Me: Thank you Sir..! Will call back...!

Discontented at heart by the prices & by the specs, the hunt for the bike began keeping the Rx 135 5S in mind. A Good fellow friend Deepak was also hunting down for some bikes for me. The Two stroke bug was still buzzing inside my stomach for quite a long time but the practicality of owning a two stroker after the sales & spares have been shunted doesn't seem practical at all to me initially and that too after seeing the condition they're kept in by the so called owners. They're Heartless for destroying some of the finest piece of machinery from which India had grown from. Inmidst of all this confusion and having the money in hand & seeing the shiny & fancy four strokes zooming past almost everything in the road that has a momentum made me a monkey jumping in joy for faired four strokes & becoming one of the fan boy's. Influenced by my wife again doing the SS1000 in a R15, she was more inclined towards the R15 and so was almost everyone i knew in my circle. But again, Deep meditation & some yoga kept me in control rather to pay-off the cash as down payment and pick up a four stroker & be the one to beat the race joining the street Moto-GP team. As the heat was on for the search, finally found a Genuine 135 5 speed in a Junk but running condition where there had to be a lot of cosmetics to be done-up inclusive of the fuel tank which had got a dent in both the sides. One convincing thing about the bike apart from the outer disturbing things is that the engine is un-opened and is running on standard size ART's.

After the final negotiations, the bike was picked up that night at about 12.00 A.M or so paying the cash in hand. The bike came home the same night. The sleepless night that my family had waiting for a brand new shiny bike left my parents & wifey in a deep & unrecoverable shock seeing the bike to be in such a bad state. Took hours to convince them that this is better & to my liking than my previous 200 & things can be worked upon to bring it back to shape which finally settled the dust with some kind of disgust towards the bike.

The next day, the bike hit my friend's workshop to start the process and the to be honest the procuring of parts took a long time than usual. Just about 2 months to get the OEM spares, but it was worth the wait. Below is my 2 yr old daughter who arranged all the spares for a quick snap.

The tank & the side doors have been painted along with the stickers on it which got a clear coat and here how it looks.

The chassis and the case covers had got buffed and is in store as Monsoon is hitting & worried about the blackening of it. Any ways, will go into the bike in a day or two. Picked up some rubbers for the bike after a long discussion in Tyres & Two Stroke spares thread and here it is;

Further updates on the build will follow in the same thread with as much pics as possible with my crappy mobile cam.
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 11:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Two Stroker's Pride..Four Stroker's Envy....

I knew when i saw the title that this would be an RX series bike!

Congratulations!!
Yours is gonna be looking in top, factory condition, it seems.
There's just something about a well kept RX(any) bike that just speaks volumes about the petrolhead nature of the owner!
and again, welcome to the smoker's community!
Old 28th July 2011, 14:18   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Mate. The 5Speed is going to be RD-350 in the making. After say 5-10 years, we cant even imagine of buying one. Though the prices are high, I think its still worthwhile. How much did you pick this one for ? We need more pictures please
Old 28th July 2011, 14:32   #4
BHPian

Congratulations. You must be having a great time going through the restoration process. You must be experiencing both impatience (to get done with the restoration soon) and sheer joy (in seeing the transformation). Please throw more light on the parts procurement. The source, hurdles and if you wish the prices - would be a great source of information for people like me aspiring to get a RX in the near future.

cheers
Old 29th July 2011, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I knew when i saw the title that this would be an RX series bike!

Congratulations!!
Yours is gonna be looking in top, factory condition, it seems.
There's just something about a well kept RX(any) bike that just speaks volumes about the petrolhead nature of the owner!
and again, welcome to the smoker's community!
Thanks Mayank. Yes, a Hot Rodded RX is anyday a head turner for a hot chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer9797 View Post
Congratulations Mate. The 5Speed is going to be RD-350 in the making. After say 5-10 years, we cant even imagine of buying one. Though the prices are high, I think its still worthwhile. How much did you pick this one for ? We need more pictures please
Yes, the prices are already sky high. Owners or Brokers are quoting some absurd prices when it comes to these machines. I've encountered a shabby 5s close to 50K asking price & I simply denied. This one is a story untold, the previous & the first owner was a grocery shop owner who simply used this beauty to carry vegetables all over. I mean stacking it all over the bike including the fuel tank, due to which it has some serious dents when i got it. Somehow his carb float stuck due to excessive oil mixture which started leaking petrol all over and he just simply ditched this bike for that reason & also his like towards the RTR was much inclined than the leaky & smokey 5s. Thanks to his liking, I've got what I want. A Clean bike which has never got his engine opened and runs on a std 4TL10 bore. The downline was this, the bike has clocked 62000 kms on a standard bore where as the factory recommends to first O/S bore at 40000 kms. Hope the piston hasn't chewed up the first O/S liner. The bike is in a shabby condition & was picked for a ransom amount of 30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Congratulations. You must be having a great time going through the restoration process. You must be experiencing both impatience (to get done with the restoration soon) and sheer joy (in seeing the transformation). Please throw more light on the parts procurement. The source, hurdles and if you wish the prices - would be a great source of information for people like me aspiring to get a RX in the near future.

cheers
Thanks mate. The procurement of parts has carried me three months as i intended to use only OEM parts available right from a shim to a bolt. Nothing will be procured from outside Yamaha. Almost every part in the bike is new. Hope a few pictures will help you to see what's going on.

Old 29th July 2011, 16:27   #6
BHPian

Anything at that price is a steal, especially if on Std Piston. I am on the look for a 5 Speed Bore - 4TL10. Can you help me with one ?
Old 29th July 2011, 16:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer9797 View Post
Anything at that price is a steal, especially if on Std Piston. I am on the look for a 5 Speed Bore - 4TL10. Can you help me with one ?
Sure Sameer. But one thing you should know is that the prices quoted in south are absurd. So, i'll wait & keep a watch & let's strike at the right time.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

OT: ^^^ Love those black and white pics. Its almost like dynamic black and white on my Cam.

All the best with restoration.

Last edited by download2live : 29th July 2011 at 17:01.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:19   #9
BHPian

Congratulations buddy, its always nice to see such a great bike restored again, and the way you are restoring it...its really great.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Here's what the bike looked like while the rebuild. This time in East-Man Color

dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you doing this your self, at home?
Man your weekends must be full!!
and nights, i presume..

Listen, have you looked at the first gen P-180's handlebar without weights on the bike?
They have a lot lower rise as compared to the stock ones, and a lot of people in my college used to have that done.
Its a very subtle change(not much visually), but the bikes used to feel very confident in the typical flick and go pattern RXs are ridden in...
Old 1st August 2011, 13:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Are you doing this your self, at home?
Man your weekends must be full!!
and nights, i presume..

Listen, have you looked at the first gen P-180's handlebar without weights on the bike?
They have a lot lower rise as compared to the stock ones, and a lot of people in my college used to have that done.
Its a very subtle change(not much visually), but the bikes used to feel very confident in the typical flick and go pattern RXs are ridden in...
Yes, my week days & weekends are always filled up with spares & stuff. But i'm not doing at this at home as my wife will literally chase me out of the house if she sees me with bikes all the time. This is my friends small garage who has given liberty to use it with all the tools anytime. Regarding the handlebar, i like to keep it stock mate. But for sure will give it a shot.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:53   #13
BHPian

Hey dual disc 200,

I liked the caption of this thread. Very apt. I'm also a hard core 2 stroke fan; own a RX100 and RX135.

Kudos to your effort on restoring this beauty. Were there issues collecting OEM spare parts for the bike? Also please share the cost involved.

I'm waiting for you to post the complete pictures of the restoration.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hey dual disc 200,

I liked the caption of this thread. Very apt. I'm also a hard core 2 stroke fan; own a RX100 and RX135.

Kudos to your effort on restoring this beauty. Were there issues collecting OEM spare parts for the bike? Also please share the cost involved.

I'm waiting for you to post the complete pictures of the restoration.

Thanks,
Jose.
Thanks Jose. Yes, collecting all the OEM spares was too difficult and took me 3 full months. Will keep you posted with a detailed report

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks