Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 14:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Repairing a dent in a chrome mudguard?

I kept my bike unused and unclean for some days and that's the cause, I will check the rust removing powder and update if it works.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Chrome Mudguard:- Dent Repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
^ ah, my bad . pl read my prev post as "Consider silver solder (non- lead alloy) instead of..."
Chrome holds to silver solder but pl clarify with your plating shop, mostly they'll prefer copper base. lead ruins job, sorry if i created confusion. it looks like an RD m'gd ?
Read bit more about the fillers. The silver solder is used but mainly for small pits, it's adhesion in big areas are debatable. The lead may be used, but it must to coated with copper, as the plating preparation for lead and steel is totally different. Bronze is another option.
But for fillers to be effective, the part must be stripped of chrome.nickel/copper, else the filler will crack up.Lead has low melting point,should be avoided on exhaust.
Old 11th September 2011, 20:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chrome Mudguard:- Dent Repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
the part must be stripped of chrome.nickel/copper, else the filler will crack up.Lead has low melting point,should be avoided on exhaust.
Gill,
Practically did the very same for my RD project, would suggest Copper as the the electro plating lays itself better on than on Nickel.
My silencer also had couple of minor dents which were filled with Copper brazing before electro plating. The result is, Have forgotten where filling/dents were done/present. All that you would need is a willing guy who spends quality time to finish off the surface once the brazing has been done. Takes time much more than brazing part and needs atleast 2 days for a careful job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks