Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old

The Honda Cub launched in Japan in August 1958 (the Honda Motor Co. was founded in 1948), completed 50 years of production in 2008 and it had alreadysold 60 million units three years back.The little moped that was conceived as a step-through, gained instant popularity in Asian countries of the South East, where the standard of living was not that high, way back then. It has also been selling well in the Western markets and in the African and the South American continents too! This machine offered its tough, dependable, extremely easy to maintain, drive and maneuver characteristics in the South East Asian countries, where even the roads were not that well built or maintained. The Honda Cub has been a darling in countries like Philippines, Vietnam,Indonesia, Malaysia,Cambodia in the SE Asian region.
The Honda Boss late Siochiro Honda took personal interest in the Honda Cub, seeing the sheer sale volumes and the vast spectrum of buyers it was progressively attracting. He saw this machine achieve milestones and benchmarks one after the other during his lifetime. Not one to rest easy with the laurels,the engine went on to have continuous upgrades after adequate feed backs and research to perfect it all along the way.The result was an engine and a frame that could tolerate or overcome the worst of abuse on roads or no roads, dust, rain, snow,heat or whatever!
What was started with a two-stroke 50cc engine, within a few years became an OHV 100cc four-stroke (the C100) to power the machine. The four-stroke gave it an unmatched frugality on the fuel front.This OHV configuration later on was made into an OHC. The platinum point ignition gave way to capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) in the 1980's to suit the stringent emission standards in some markets. Electronic fuel injection that Honda calls PGM-FI fuel injection came along around 2007.
The Discovery Channel has placed the 1958 Cub in the first place in its 2006 Greatest Ever Series. Some songs have been composed to glamorize this machine like The Beach Boys hit "Little Honda" (1964).
What The Telegraph, London has to say:
"The Greatest Machine ever: The Honda Cub is a thing of beauty and long may it endure-throw it in a canal, come back in 10 years, and you can still ride it to work!"
The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-jmaycub_1015812c.jpg
The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-hondasupercubanniversary.jpg
The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-honda-super-cub.jpg
(pictures google images)
In India, the Honda Cub engine rocks our country finding its place in the Hero Honda and Honda (HMSL) bikes and scooters.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the 2008 official press release from Honda:
Cumulative worldwide production of Honda Cub series motorcycles reached the 60 million-unit milestone at the end of April 2008. Honda Super Cub C100, first introduced in Japan in 1958, has gained worldwide acceptance both as a business-use motorcycle and for daily transportation, and has been being enjoyed by customers in more than 160 countries around the world. This August will mark the 50th anniversary of launching of Honda Cub series.
When Super Cub was originally launched, the 2-stroke engine was the mainstream power plant for motorcycles. However, the first generation Honda Super Cub C100 was equipped with an innovative and high-performance 50cc 4-stroke engine which was highly economical and durable. Super Cub C100 also achieved creative and unique designs including the low-floor backbone frame which enhanced the ease of getting on and off, a centrifugal clutch system which required no clutch operations, and the installation of a large plastic leg shield which reduced the amount of dirt splatter and wind experienced by the rider. Since the introduction of the first generation model, the basic design and concept have remained virtually unchanged, and the unique style has been passed on even to current models.
In regions outside of Japan, such as Asia, the Honda Cub series has evolved to accommodate the unique culture and diversifying customer needs in each country. In Japan, an electronically-controlled fuel injection system, Honda’s PGM-FI, was installed on Super Cub in 2007, enhancing the environmental performance of the model. Demonstrated by these examples, Honda Cub has been continuously advancing throughout the world.
Exports of Super Cub began in 1959 with the first destination being the U.S., and production in regions outside of Japan began in 1961 in Taiwan, with production based on component parts sets. Since that time, based on Honda’s long-standing commitment to “build products close to the customer,” local production began in many other countries. The Honda Cub series is currently being produced in 15 countries around the world.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd September 2011 at 21:41.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:27   #2
BHPian

Re: The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old

Yup, I have the Discovery series in which Honda Cub gets the top price. Inspite of the repeated abuse, she still runs. Just amazing.
Is our humble M80 a copy of Honda Cub???
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 00:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My first motorcycle was a Honda 50 "Super Sport" which was basically a Honda 50 Cub with a different frame.
The frame actually looked like a real motorcycle with the fuel tank in the proper place.

It was powered by a 50cc 4 stroke OHV engine that delivered a whopping 4 horsepower and a 3 speed transmission.

I bought mine used so the first thing I did was to take it into my college apartments living room and rebuild the engine.

The more common "step thru" design was the most popular model here in the U.S.A. and there were thousands of students at Arizona State University riding them.

The Beach Boys even had a popular song about the Honda 50 (affectionately called a "Nifty Thrifty Honda 50".
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 01:31   #4
BHPian

the cub has powered hero honda as well. the 4 stroke motor in their bikes is basically from the cub. while there have been modifications the basic layout and tech is still the same.

its a shame that the cub did not succeed in india (as the street and then the street smart). pity that TVS is using the same features from the street (going from top gear to first instantly and the auto clutch) in the jive and calling it indias first and no one reminded them that they arent the first.
Old 25th September 2011, 18:41   #5
BHPian

[quote=anjan_c2007;2492134]The Honda Cub launched in Japan in August 1958 (the Honda Motor Co. was founded in 1948)

(pictures google images)
In India, the Honda Cub engine rocks our country finding its place in the Hero Honda and Honda (HMSL) bikes and scooters.[quote]
---------------------------------------------------
Hello anjan Bro'!!
How can you take pictures from google, when one of our Tbhpian has a real hard core Honda CUB C90??
-a 1976 model C90, 100% stock, few broken plastics , still runs 100+ kms non-stop, if the rider has G & B ..t!!
here is it, seat removed for fixing the bottom plate >>

Have a look at the "Power train" you were talking about>

With few broken plastic stuffs like indicator lens, D/L etc>>

Note the " Boonseik Honda" solid badge at both the panels>>

And owner of this is .....hee!! he!...its ME
powertwin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 21:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
---------------------------------------------------
Hello anjan Bro'!!
How can you take pictures from google, when one of our Tbhpian has a real hard core Honda CUB C90??
-a 1976 model C90, 100% stock, few broken plastics , still runs 100+ kms non-stop, if the rider has G & B ..t!!
here is it, seat removed for fixing the bottom plate >>

And owner of this is .....hee!! he!...its ME
Thanks a lot for sharing the information.I am sure you have an eternal love for old two wheelers.Great to know about your Honda Cub!!
Old 7th June 2012, 20:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing the information.I am sure you have an eternal love for old two wheelers.Great to know about your Honda Cub!!
Here is my Honda Cub C90 (1976)
manufactured by BOONSEIK HONDA., Malaysia

After fixing the broken parts, sourced from Malaysia, thank you Mr.Selvan for getting the parts for my CUB!!

powertwin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:19   #8
BHPian

They are still being made in China as copies

Didn't Bajaj make them too in India ?
allana13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post

I think Bajaj made something similar to called as M80 in the Mid 80's .
tj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I think the first one was called M50 (50cc engine) and the next upgraded version was called M80 (80cc engine). I gave my driving license test on one of these. It was a very nice practical 2 wheeler. Zero maintenance and great fuel efficiency were two of the plus points. Bajaj auto did sell a lot of copies of these two twins.

Was the Hero Honda Street related to the Honda Cub? Or was it an improvised version of the Honda cub? I also read in Overdrive or Autocar magazine a long time back; that India must be the only country where the Hero Honda Street did not quite become a hit; that it was supposed to become.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I think Bajaj made something similar to called as M80 in the Mid 80's .
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, I think the first one was called M50 (50cc engine) and the next upgraded version was called M80 (80cc engine). I gave my driving license test on one of these. It was a very nice practical 2 wheeler. Zero maintenance and great fuel efficiency were two of the plus points. Bajaj auto did sell a lot of copies of these two twins.
Right you are, Bajaj started out with the m 50 ( 2 stroke) sometime in the mid 1980's. There were huge bookings. Soon after its launch, it was seen as underpowered to carry two passengers as advertised. There were soon press reports saying Bajaj Auto was worried and it was also reported that Mr Rahul Bajaj had rushed to Japan to look for a more powerful engine. The state of our R &D was such in the 1980's that even a small sting would force us to go abroad to shop around. The m 80 ( 2 stroke) was soon launched, while the m 50 was shelved. I am not aware which company Bajaj relied upon to source the technology, but the technology was not in sync with the times - cheap availability was a criteria then.
The m 80 is a success story for Bajaj. It had nearly outdone Rajdoots in the hinterland during the 1990's, after successive fuel price hikes. It was the farmers favourite.
They had lately introduced a 4 stroke m 80 but like the Chetak and Legend this too faded away. This was to meet the Bharat II norms but the m 80 could not survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Was the Hero Honda Street related to the Honda Cub? Or was it an improvised version of the Honda cub? I also read in Overdrive or Autocar magazine a long time back; that India must be the only country where the Hero Honda Street did not quite become a hit; that it was supposed to become.
It was surely based on the Honda Cub. The Honda Cub, launched more than 50 years back was progressively researched upon and improvised. Head honcho Mr Siochiro Honda's dream project, the Cub did the donkeys job on the muddy roads or no roads of South East Asian countries in the 1960's. As I had already said on this thread , the 100 cc, 4 stroke technology was perfected upon to suit the treacherous conditions in developing countries of South East Asia and at the same time be frugal on petrol. In fact, this engine powers all 100/ 110 cc Hero Hondas and even the new Honda Dream Yuga has the same engine. The higher 150 cc engines of all Hondas too are derived from the original 100 cc Cub engine.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th July 2012 at 23:23.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

If I am correct, it was actually Honda cub that marked Honda's foray into the US. And there's a fascinating story behind it too.

I think Honda was trying hard to sell some 300-350cc motorcycle in the States, & all their marketing guys would do the rounds of the various dealers etc on this Honda Cub. Ironically, Honda did get orders but not for that 350cc bike but for the Cub & from many dealers across the country.
Old 18th July 2012, 23:40   #13
BHPian

Honda do sell Honda Inova in the UK which is a similar sort of scooter with gears like a bike and body kind of a Club style.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Here is my Honda Cub C90 (1976)
manufactured by BOONSEIK HONDA., Malaysia

After fixing the broken parts, sourced from Malaysia, thank you Mr.Selvan for getting the parts for my CUB!!

Powertwin ,

Wow go0d to see your 90 in superb shape and do i see an other honda as well there ?? interestingly i own a Honda C77 dream 305cc twin also from malaysia which i am trying to restore , any leads of parts procurement would be a great help as i seem to need a couple of bits to get the bike on road .

Could you please inbox me on traditionz@vsnl.net or give me your co-ordinates that i can reach you on .I am currently on travel in europe and will be back in india early next week when i will reach you .

Thanks

Prashanth
Bangalore
Old 21st July 2012, 00:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Right you are, Bajaj started out with the m 50 ( 2 stroke) sometime in the mid 1980's. this too faded away. This was to meet the Bharat II norms but the m 80 could not survive.

It was surely based on the Honda Cub. The Honda Cub, launched more than 50 years back was progressively researched upon and improvised. Head honcho Mr Siochiro Honda's dream project, the Cub did the donkeys job on the muddy roads or no roads of South East Asian countries in the 1960's. As I had already said on this thread , the 100 cc, 4 stroke technology was perfected upon to suit the treacherous conditions in developing countries of South East Asia and at the same time be frugal on petrol. In fact, this engine powers all 100/ 110 cc Hero Hondas and even the new Honda Dream Yuga has the same engine. The higher 150 cc engines of all Hondas too are derived from the original 100 cc Cub engine.
Anjan Ji,
All your words are fine!!
EXCEPT>>>>It { Bajaj M50 s & M80s} was surely based on the Honda Cub.
Just a step thro' machine, with CUB look alike cosmetics, cant be claimed as of Honda Cub origins!!
The C90 has, without question, become a transport icon and you'd have to have been living in an extremely remote corner of darkest Africa not to have seen one. Actually, even if you were, you probably saw some cobber on a round-the-world C90 trip. the C90 is truly a universal machine.

when Honda rolled its 100 millionth bike off the production line in November 1997, it wasn't a Gold Wing or a CBR600 - it was a C90

Cub has put more people on 2 wheels than anything else ,its what made Honda coin the catchphrase" you meet the nicest people on a Honda "

Bajaj M50 s & M80 s ( both TWO strokes) can no were compared with CUB origin!!
Likewise , There is myth about Bajaj m50 & m80 s are off shoot of Pearl yamaha !! ( Anjan ji, I am coming to Pearl Yamaha thread, with my Pearl yummy & Bajaj M50 , placed side by side & will compare from Chassis to power train etc.....stay tuned)
Even that is totally absurd...., just a " step thru'", with Sub 100 power train & bit of similar body lines Cant be a Honda Cub's off shoot!!

### NOW ..can this cub be related to a Hero Honda Street?
Yes to some extent!!
....With rotary shift grip & rear brake moved to Lh handle it would have gained much interest.HH 'Street' was a good run about for city limits true to the Cub origins.

HH Street, took world by storm , was sold more than 20 million units ( If my memory serves right), before the damn thing was passed on to Hero Honda guys( present Hero Corp)
But poor Honda guys,thought this will be smash hit, at least at the big Indian Cities, with overflowing traffic!!
But, over cautious Indian consumer was not ready to pay 40K + for a Bike without CLUTCH !!
Luckily , by God's grace original HONDA CUB was not passed to HH group, otherwise , THE BIKE WHICH MADE HISTORY GEOGRAPHICALLY for past 5 decades , would have lost its face at least in India ( this is my personal opinion , there is nothing for debate or no offense meant on any individual or group )

Any way..as most of us aware..plenty of good machines did not make success in India for NO REASON
HONDA CUB ---- >>> " Greatest Motorcycle of the Century"
Me to proud to Own a Piece of BIKING HISTORY!!
Cheers!!
KMK

Last edited by powertwin : 21st July 2012 at 01:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks