Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 13:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration

I am a person who starting his two-wheeler adventures with an original, made in England Royal Enfield Bullet that my dad had brought in his younger days. As a college kid in the late 80s, the lure of a 100 cc 2-Stroker was too strong, hence sold the bullet for a Kawazaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ.

Eventually got tired of 100cc 2 strokers and moved back to a Royal Enfield Machismo 350 when it was launched, which I sold and bought another Royal Enfield Bullet Standard which was again sold a few years later.

About two years back, I was given a new Machismo 500 to use by a friend and the erratic behavior of the Machismo 500 was too much for me to bear and i decided that I had enough of bullets. I then bought a Hero Honda Hunk which is a great all rounder bike, with good styling and overall comfortable ride. But the urge to buy something older and restore always remained. Since the Bullet was ruled out, the next bike I had in mind was an RX135 5-Speed.

Having gone through a lengthy jeep build up, I wasn't ready to commit time for another project yet and thought I would do it a year or two down the line. As fate would have it, I was taking an evening walk with a friend and saw this nicely maintained RX135-5Speed standing outside a TASMAC Bar (Those of you who live in TN know what this is). So, i just pointed out the bike to my friend and said, I am looking for one of those bikes. This moderately drunk dude standing outside the bar sees me point at the bike and walks over to me and tells me he wants to sell the bike since he now has a family needs a regular commuter bike. So, I struck a deal and he went home got the papers and his id, and I dashed to the ATM and bought the bike. Talking about an impulse buy ..

Anyways, after I bought it I spoke to a few people on this forum and on the other bike forum and took some advise on restoring it. Unlike on my jeep, I decided not to go crazy and go stock except for a few things that I wanted.

The bike is stock except for the following changes:

1) Yamaha Gladiator Fork & Disc Brakes
2) Yamaha RD350 headlight Dome & Ring
3) Ambassador Grand Reflector with 60/55 watt bulb
4) The handle bar lock was changed from the side one to the top one like current generation bikes as it is much easier than the side lock where the key tends to get stuck.
5) Due to the central lock, i had to go for the post 2004 RX/YBX instrument console. I would have preferred the RXZ console, but since I wanted the lock on top, this was not possible.
6) Roots Horn
7) YBX Fibre front mudguard
8) Nitrox Gas Shocks from Bajaj Discover DTSi 125. The RX135 weighs about 100 kgs and Bajaj Discover DTSi 125 weighs about 125 kgs so the shocks should be fine. It was a bit hard initially, but as I am using the bike more, it is getting less stiff.
10) Removed the OEM Can-Con black silencer for an RX135 silencer. Bought an original second hand inner muffler to get the older RX135 sound. Sound is very close to the original RX100. I confirmed this by having both started side by side together.
11) Royal Enfield Machismo Rear View Mirrors
12) Custom made Crash Guard, as I found the OEM one too thick for my liking.
13) Changed headlight Clamp from the one that comes from outside the fork to inside. See last pic for details.

Bike was stripped down to the last nut and bolt and each part was chromed/nickeled.

All rubber and worn down parts were replaced.

Attaching a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13501.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13502.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13503.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13504.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13505.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13506.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13507.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13508.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13509.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13510.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13511.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13512.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13513.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13514.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13515.jpg  

Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration-4x4addictrx13516.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: RX135 Speed Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
5) Due to the central lock, i had to go for the post 2004 RX/YBX instrument console. I would have preferred the RXZ console, but since I wanted the lock on top, this was not possible.
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the lovely restoration job.

I own a Yamaha RXZ, it came with a central lock. So I'm not able to understand what you mean by the above quoted statement.

IMHO, the boxy instrument console of RXZ would not have aesthetically suited RX135. Your current choice of console looks good on the bike.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:52   #3
BHPian

The workmanship and finish is excellent. Have mixed reactions to the headlamp change. Firstly, personally believe the original headlamp cluster would look good. Secondly, how did you manage upgrading the headlamp to current set up.
Im new to two wheelers I believe the wattage of lamps is high.
How have you wired the lamps ie through battery or the alternator ?

let me know, as I have got a 99 kinetic honda with birthday candle lights, would like to do a cheapest upgrade.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike is stock except for the following changes:
Did you forget to mention the non stock handle bar grips? Those seems to be from FZ or R15

Quote:
3) Ambassador Grand Reflector with 60/55 watt bulb
And you might've changed the generator to accommodate 60/55

Edit - Add to the non stock part - the turn lights from Rx100's & not from Rx135's

Last edited by aargee : 16th November 2011 at 14:56.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 17:00   #5
BHPian

Well done, good work the head lamp isn't jelling well with the looks go back to OE small headlamp assemblly and change the lamp assemblly to swaraj mazda type.
praJEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:13   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yamaha RX135 5-Speed Restoration

That bike doesn't look restored, it looks like its been ridden straight out of the showroom . Congrats on the bike & its successful restoration.

BTW, impulsive buy indeed. You (and the seller) were lucky to have crossed each other's paths in the way that you did.

Suggestion : Please change the headlamp to a smaller unit. This just isn't going with the rest of the motorcycle.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Tini,

Awesome work there. Nothing can beat the pleasure of riding a two stroke Yamaha, the best vehicle for those adrenalin pumping wheelies, once in a while.

One humble suggestion from my part: Please change the exhaust to the Cat-Con type in the newer 135's. It would really look good, and gel in perfectly to the restored condition. But you might want to slightly alter the flute inside to get that perfect sound!.

Also, I think you can retro fit the o-ring chain and sprocket set, which will allow you to ride without the chain cover . Also, I guess they last more.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:57   #8
BHPian

I have one of these bikes neatly kept with me though not being used and I must say this is an awesome restoration job. Its very hard to find well maintained 5-Speed RX 135's and I was getting a lot of good offers for my bike but have decided never to let it go.

Why don't you get the rear guard above the brake lights cut or something? My bike came with a stock guard which doesn't have the unnecessary protrusions and looks neat. And I agree with others about the headlight. It looks pretty big on this bike. I am also considering getting the old silencer for my bike. Is it worth purchasing a brand new old type silencer and getting it fit on my bike?
maverick145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Excellent restoration, although never owned a RX135, i was a big fan of RX100 buzzing mosquito sound. Some of my classmates had it and i would watch them zipping around and envy them. By the time i was earning enough to buy one it stopped production i guess because of pollution.

The yellow disc brakes look awesome, apart from absolute spic-and-shine chrome.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 00:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the lovely restoration job.
Hi Rohan,
Thank you. The RXZ meter is available only with a few RX parts collectors and I would have to pay about 4000 Rs for the set. So,I decided to go with this set up. I was initially skeptical if it will look okay, but as you said, it seems to have turned out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
The workmanship and finish is excellent. Have mixed reactions to the headlamp change. Firstly, personally believe the original headlamp cluster would look good. Secondly, how did you manage upgrading the headlamp to current set up.
Im new to two wheelers I believe the wattage of lamps is high.
How have you wired the lamps ie through battery or the alternator ?

let me know, as I have got a 99 kinetic honda with birthday candle lights, would like to do a cheapest upgrade.
Hi Kavesh. Thanks for the feedback. Regarding lights, KB100 RTZ used to come with halogens. So, I changed the head lamp cut outs to allow for a higher wattage using the KB100 RTZ cutout. So, I don't know if this can be done to a Kinetic Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Did you forget to mention the non stock handle bar grips? Those seems to be from FZ or R15

And you might've changed the generator to accommodate 60/55

Edit - Add to the non stock part - the turn lights from Rx100's & not from Rx135's
You are right about these. Forgot to mention that grips are from R15, headlamp wiring has been upgraded to accomodate 60/55 bulb and turn signals are from RX100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Well done, good work the head lamp isn't jelling well with the looks go back to OE small headlamp assemblly and change the lamp assemblly to swaraj mazda type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That bike doesn't look restored, it looks like its been ridden straight out of the showroom . Congrats on the bike & its successful restoration.
Suggestion : Please change the headlamp to a smaller unit. This just isn't going with the rest of the motorcycle.
@GTO: Most parts are new so, it is pretty much from assembly line but not from factory assembly line..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Tini,
One humble suggestion from my part: Please change the exhaust to the Cat-Con type in the newer 135's. It would really look good, and gel in perfectly to the restored condition. But you might want to slightly alter the flute inside to get that perfect sound!.

Also, I think you can retro fit the o-ring chain and sprocket set, which will allow you to ride without the chain cover . Also, I guess they last more.
Hi Dhanush, I specifically wanted the original RX silencer. I am holding on to the cat-con type just in case I sell the bike and new owner wants the OEM silencer.

I actually prefer the chain cover on my bikes due to the terrain I ride in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Why don't you get the rear guard above the brake lights cut or something? My bike came with a stock guard which doesn't have the unnecessary protrusions and looks neat. And I agree with others about the headlight. It looks pretty big on this bike. I am also considering getting the old silencer for my bike. Is it worth purchasing a brand new old type silencer and getting it fit on my bike?
I actually wanted the cycle carrier type rear carrier. I think it looks cool in a funny sort of way. Again this is a personal preference.

Silencer is also a personal preference. Silencers are now expensive and be prepared to spend upwards of 3K for a genuine one. Also the sound won't match the original RX100 so you have to modify the flute or find a second hand flute from original RX100 which is what I did.

To everyone regarding the headlights, I really thought a lot about this one. I do agree with everyone that aesthetically smaller headlamp was the way to go. I could have gone with a DCM Toyota headlamp reflector to use the H4 Halogen bulb, but the thing is that I drive a lot at night very often where wild elephants decide to hang around on the roads, so I felt a bigger doom will have more of a spread allowing me to keep a safe distance from the pachyderms. But I may go back to the smaller headlamp set up. Still undecided on this one.
Old 18th November 2011, 00:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
She looks awsome.
I have a 5 speed,that awaits restoration.
Can you please provide the cost break up of parts if possible?
Old 18th November 2011, 00:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Silencer is also a personal preference. Silencers are now expensive and be prepared to spend upwards of 3K for a genuine one. Also the sound won't match the original RX100 so you have to modify the flute or find a second hand flute from original RX100 which is what I did.
Time to hunt for a good condition RX100 silencer. I had 2 old RX 100's too sometime back. I should have taken the silencer.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tini beautiful restoration dude, absolute drool stuff there and I agree the RXZ console wouldnt have gelled well. The YBX's meter console looks perfecttoooo !!
The million dollar question, how much did you settle the deal for ?

I have a similar one a 5 speed at it which is lying with a broken chain at home. Needs some TLC and it aint completely stock though. Have the box type swing arm(imported) which we sourced locally when I did a complete make over of the bike in 2005. Guess it's time I fix up my bike too and show my better half this thread. After all the green signal should come from the home ministry for any automobile related chores.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

4x4addict, congrats on a great bike. How I wish I had retained my good old 4 speed 135.

And fantastic work done so far. Throw in a Yezdi wheel at the rear with wider rubber along with OEM headlight. The Dome is okay but somehow I can't stand the exposed nut/bolt under it. I know there is no other way to fasten it.

Also, I think you should hunt for a RXZ meter console and revert the handle lock to the original spot. I know it a pain to live with and you may bend/ break the key at times. But there is something about a RX standing on the side stand and staring towards the Right hand side when locked. Think about it.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th November 2011 at 11:22. Reason: Adding text.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:50   #15
BHPian

Congrats 4x4addict! That's a very beautiful bike. I liked your story of how you bought the bike.

Please get a butterfly type crash guards and change the tires to Michelin. Also please change the headlight to smaller one, chrome mudguard and OEM number plates. If you can get hold of cat-con silencer, it makes a lot of difference.

The 5-speed variant is a very thrilling model & has more fun factor. Wishing you many many happy miles ahead.

I have a completely rebuilt RX135 4S lying idle back home. I hope she doesn't loose her charm by the time I visit India next year (hopefully). How I miss those thrilling 2-stroke days.

Regards,
Jose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks