Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 19:47   #1
BHPian

RTR 160 vs RTR 180

Hey guys!!
My friend is now in a dilemma. Well he's about to purchase a bike. He has already decided that it has to be TVS Apache. He just loves the throttle response and the handling of the bike. He will be buying in a week or two.
  • He (at least for now) is not of the redlining type. Although he says he might change.
  • Mileage is of (almost) equal priority to power.
  • Rideabilty is key as this will be his first gear bike.
  • Should be fairly reliable.
I have been pestering him to buy the 180 saying that it will not result in any drastic reduction in mileage, rideability will be better, so will the in gear accelerations and the biggest reason, ABS!!. But he isnt really convinced yet. "Although he says he might change" This is his major concern. If he does then according to him the 180 will give him dismal figures.

Apart from this we'd also be grateful if respective owners could give their feedback regarding vehicle performance and maintenance costs. And if someone could elaborate on the difference in ride and feel between the two (Usually with a heavy pillion, if this affects the rideability).

Thank you!! Eagerly awaiting replies!! Any other suggestions also welcome with budget in a similar region.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: RTR 160 vs RTR 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Hey guys!!
My friend is now in a dilemma. Well he's about to purchase a bike. He has already decided that it has to be TVS Apache. He just loves the throttle response and the handling of the bike.
Previous RTR160 owner who now has a RTR180 (non-ABS):

I normally am a fast rider since I work in off peak times and get quite a bit of open road both to and from work. Will touch upon the points your friend is worried about:

I too was not the redlining types until i got the RTR180. On the 160 i was very sedate and never touched the red line though I have done some good top speeds on it. On the RTR180, I have started shifting gears later than on the RTR160 and loving every bit of it. Though still not redlining in each gear, the RPM's at which i shift has gone up considerably.

The RTR160 used to return 42kmpl in city riding conditions, riding in the 4-6k rpm band. Same riding fashion, the RTR180 returns 40kmpl. I have done lot of long rides on both. While the 160 used to return 48-49kmpl, the 180 is now returning 46-47kmpl.

Your friend can potter around in 5th gear at 30kmph once the engine has run in so ride ability is not of concern. Its the same with both the bikes but i felt the 180 to be better in this aspect.

Both the bikes has never left me stranded in any of my long rides. So reliability is quite good. Most new age bikes are good in this aspect.

Performance will be the RTR180 all the way. The way it revvs cleanly till the red line and the way it pulls is incomparable to the RTR160. Of course the 160 is no slouch but the 180 is way better with the in gear acceleration.

Maintenance costs were similar with both. I am not finding a great deal of difference in the feel and ride quality of the bike with a medium weight pillion.

The same price range has got the nimble Hero Impulse (if he likes the looks), FZ16/FZ-S, the new CBZ-X with clip on handlebars et. al. Ask him test ride all the bikes and see which one he feels home on. Tell him to pick that bike.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 19th December 2011 at 20:07.
abhinav.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 20:21   #3
BHPian

Apache RTR 180 anyday.
180 is more refined compared to 160 which is a plus point. Ofcourse pushing the 180 is lot more fun thanks to the extra horses.
Infact ride quality of 180 is slightly better as well thanks to the wheelbase.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 21:23   #4
BHPian

I have a RTR 180 ABS, and as you mentioned, ABS was one of the primary reasons for going with the RTR.

Quote:
He (at least for now) is not of the redlining type.
Not redlining is something very difficult with the RTR! I ride ~70 kms daily which includes almost-empty highway and trust me, it's very very difficult to stop twisting the throttle unless you have a high level of will power!

Quote:
Mileage is of (almost) equal priority to power.
With redlining on each gear whenever possible and riding at a fast speed, I get ~38-40kmpl. When I change my riding mode to a daily commuter (which happens rarely), I get 43-45kmpl easily.

Quote:
Rideabilty is key as this will be his first gear bike.
Same here, it was my first gear bike. Even though I might go in for higher cc bikes in about 18 months, this will be a keeper as a daily commuter!

Quote:
Should be fairly reliable.
Very few minor niggles are present, nothing much to worry about!

Quote:
Apart from this we'd also be grateful if respective owners could give their feedback regarding vehicle performance and maintenance costs.
Performance is E-P-I-C! I'm still in the free-servicing where I am charged only for the oil change, costs about 310 bucks.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 21:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tell him to forget the 160 and pickup the 180. The fun factor is far greater than any other negatives that he might incur. Also check out the yamaha bikes in that price range , they have some nice looking models there.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 21:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Tell him to forget the 160 and pickup the 180. The fun factor is far greater than any other negatives that he might incur. Also check out the yamaha bikes in that price range , they have some nice looking models there.
Thanks!! About Yamaha!! Hmmm. With Yamaha it feels like a trade off. Between sweet engine but lack of power (FZ) and Amazing power but too pricey (R15).
Old 19th December 2011, 22:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Yamaha it feels like a trade off. Between sweet engine but lack of power (FZ)
I owned the FZ16 for a brief 3 months and 5000kms period. You are right that the engine lacks outright power. But it is no slouch either. Mine was a lemon with just too many issues to live with that I got rid of it and picked up the 180. Have not regretted the decision.

But the FZ when given the beans was good up to about 90kmph on the speedo. Beyond that you have to lean on the tank and it would touch 100-108kmph with some laziness. But the handling and road grip was like no other. I got to know my own riding potential on the FZ where I was able to lean into a corner at obscene angles and still come out unscathed. It is kind of addictive!!!

Cant say the same for the 180 mainly because of the crappy rubber that it comes with. Will soon be changing them to a set from Michelin probably and have to see how it works out. Handling is still its forte mind you but cornering on mildly gravely roads still gives me the jitters on the 180 with stock rubber!
Old 19th December 2011, 22:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I owned the FZ16 for a brief 3 months and 5000kms period. You are right that the engine lacks outright power. But it is no slouch either. Mine was a lemon with just too many issues to live with that I got rid of it and picked up the 180. Have not regretted the decision.

But the FZ when given the beans was good up to about 90kmph on the speedo. Beyond that you have to lean on the tank and it would touch 100-108kmph with some laziness. But the handling and road grip was like no other. I got to know my own riding potential on the FZ where I was able to lean into a corner at obscene angles and still come out unscathed. It is kind of addictive!!!

Cant say the same for the 180 mainly because of the crappy rubber that it comes with. Will soon be changing them to a set from Michelin probably and have to see how it works out. Handling is still its forte mind you but cornering on mildly gravely roads still gives me the jitters on the 180 with stock rubber!
How much do you think a tyre (set) change would cost?? To say MRF NYLO ZAPPER?? Does it work like with cars? Do you get buy back for stock tyres if mileage is low??/
Old 20th December 2011, 00:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
How much do you think a tyre (set) change would cost?? To say MRF NYLO ZAPPER?? Does it work like with cars? Do you get buy back for stock tyres if mileage is low??/

I changed to Michelin SIRAC which is pretty awesome when it comes to grip , but I did go a size UP . The cost was about 2500 Rs . But the tyre is awesome . This is just for the REAR tyre . The stock TVS tyres are very very dangerous , they have horrible grips and are absolutely horrible on wet roads .
Old 20th December 2011, 00:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!!
My friend is now in a dilemma. Well he's about to purchase a bike. He has already decided that it has to be TVS Apache. He just loves the throttle response and the handling of the bike. He will be buying in a week or two.
  • He (at least for now) is not of the redlining type. Although he says he might change.
  • Mileage is of (almost) equal priority to power.
  • Rideabilty is key as this will be his first gear bike.
  • Should be fairly reliable.

Thank you!! Eagerly awaiting replies!! Any other suggestions also welcome with budget in a similar region.
I would also suggest the 180 ABS!

I haven't ridden the 160 much but had one or two go with Fi version of the same. So, if it were between the Fi and 180, I could have commented on the differences. The 160 has shorter wheel-base and it's more flickable. That's all I have to share.

Choosing between the 180 and 160 is actually a no-brainer. Isn't it? The 180 is little bit better than the 160 in each department. It has a better throttle response (quicker, I mean), feels more planted around corners (experts say), looks a wee-bit better and proportionate than the 160 (white color, golden forks and phat rear tyre) and is considerably quicker and faster than the 160.

You buy the RTR over others when you have only one thing in mind i.e FUN!

You buy the 160 over 180/ABS, when you have a FE thing going in the back of your mind somewhere, which I assume is the case with your friend.

You buy the 180, when the 'kitna deti hai' thing vanishes from your mind completely.

You buy the 180+ABS, when you have the moolah (commands over 10k premium than the 180!) and a brain which reasons that 10k is cheaper than wheel-locks, skids on gravel, oil etc., heart-in-mouth moments, and might be some future hospital/repair bills.

I am of the opinion that a car/bike/truck or anything that moves has to stop better than it accelerates. And what's better to do it in a convinced and relaxing way!

I would choose ABS here. FE be damned. And do the math yourself, you will only get 5km more per liter. If you ride insanely, they are gone too...

I have been riding the A180 for close to three years now. Apart from the consumables, there is nothing as such that you should be worried of in terms of maintenance cost.

I have regularly serviced my bike from two different authorized dealership till now, one in Noida and other in Dehradoon. The Noida dealership is simply hopeless while the Dehradoon dealer is just the opposite. I can't comment on this aspect of the ownership as well...

Do some homework on A.S.S in your area, it'd not be a problem...
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 00:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Ask him test ride all the bikes and see which one he feels home on. Tell him to pick that bike.
The best possible answer.....cheers for that.

On paper Aishwarya might have better figures than Katrina......but one cannot decide for me whom i like !!!
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 08:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
The best possible answer.....cheers for that.

On paper Aishwarya might have better figures than Katrina......but one cannot decide for me whom i like !!!

Thank you guys!! 180 is the best possible choice as far as i can see.

Anybody has any info regarding OTR and delivery time in bangalore??
Old 20th December 2011, 08:51   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
feels more planted around corners (experts say), looks a wee-bit better and proportionate than the 160
One of the reason for this is the weird 18" rear and 17" front wheels of the RTR-160.

The Apache 180 certainly feels better to ride around over the 160.

You can ride a 180 slow, but can't make a 160 fast
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has any info regarding OTR and delivery time in bangalore??
In Aug'11 when i picked the bike, all colors were available off the shelf except for white which had a wait of 3 days. OTR for my bike was in the range of 82,000 (81,xxx,which brings it to 82k). I did not opt for any accessories apart from the seat cover which was thrown in free by the sales guy. That too came off the very next day as its the worst and most uncomfortable seat covers to have on a bike!! Based on what accessories your friend chooses it might cost another 1-2k more. I did not go for the famed Teflon coating as well!

TIP: The sales guy tries to push a lot of accessories which cost upwards of 2.5k in total if purchased completely. Choose wisely and you will not end up getting ripped off.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 13:40   #15
BHPian

Hi,

I am also planning for a new bike, have short listed the following
1. Apache 180 ABS
2. Unicorn Dazzler
3. Pulsar 135

I am very much inclined towards the Apache because of the ABS feature. But many people say that the maintenance cost is high and all the plastic parts starts vibrating after 2 years. Since the handle bar is very low is there any back pain issue.

My key thing is safety, ride comfort. Please throw your comments on the pros and cons.

Most Viewed