Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 03:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj M80 All the way from Chennai to Leh!!

This is amazing! All the way from chennai to K-La in a M80!!

Quote:
Gokulram Vasanthi who rode from Chennai to Marsimek-La on a low-powered Bajaj M-80

Gokulram Vasanthi has a strange sense of humour. For a road adventure all the way from Chennai to the forbidding Himalayan passes of Khardung-La and Marsimek-La and back, he bypassed a 350 cc Thunderbird and a 250 cc Jawa Model ‘B' and settled on a low-powered 76 cc Bajaj M-80. “I have gone on long rides on those big bikes. This time, I wanted to do something different,” explains Gokulram.
The Hindu : Life & Style / Motoring : Rider on the storm
AlphaKilo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Re: M80 All the way from Chennai to Leh!!

Hi
I have seen Gokulram in action and he is one of the ideal riders in the club. He is not nicknamed terror for nothing. The last ride the group of riders from RTMC, who were riding ninja's, where shocked when Gokul over took them in his 350cc thunderbird. I might not ride a M80 but i would be happy if i could do a K2K (kanyakumari to Khardung La) on my CL500 with this great group.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 16:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this link.

I've always felt that Ladakh would be more comfortable on a smaller bike (didn't ever think of an M80 though!) Of course the smaller bike would be a pain on the highways till you reach Ladakh. Maybe the new Impulse would be a good compromise.

But to do Chennai to Leh on an M80, this guy is amazing! Good to see the journey become the focus, that's it's possible irrespective of the bike brand, usually it's about which bike, which riding gear brand, along with which riding club, etc.

Last edited by am1m : 21st December 2011 at 16:36. Reason: Add Clarity
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 17:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
I have seen Gokulram in action and he is one of the ideal riders in the club. He is not nicknamed terror for nothing. The last ride the group of riders from RTMC, who were riding ninja's, where shocked when Gokul over took them in his 350cc thunderbird. I might not ride a M80 but i would be happy if i could do a K2K (kanyakumari to Khardung La) on my CL500 with this great group.
As Dr.Raj said there are many riders who got a Shock in RTMC 10A after seeing him in Action, and I am one of them. He is also a soft spoken and a down to earth person. I too would love to do a K2K, but before that I want to see if I can ride to RM 2012 happing in Delhi from Chennai.

Note from Support: Please remove tags whenever copy pasting from external word processors. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2011 at 17:45. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 21:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj M80 All the way from Chennai to Leh!!

one more interesting news is that, he lost his fingers(couple of them) during his engineering studies, but inspite of having only two fingers he learned to ride a bike, accelerate and stuff with just two fingers. Its something really to be appreciated and praised. Great confidence! But I guess a M80 wouldnt be too comfortable to be ridden on the highways and limited top speed and ride comfort would have a great challenge. He seems to be a guy of atleast 5'11'' and I am 6, have experience extreme discomfort riding a M80 for a short duration, unbelieveable how he rode all the way.
Old 21st December 2011, 21:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala some years back there were a lot of fish vendors riding at very high speed with the full load of fish and the capability of the bike was without even a semblance of doubt.
I had ridden a M50 at the time of its launch before the advent of the M80. The modified version of the 4stroke M80's engine did duty in the initial Bajaj saffire scooter.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st December 2011 at 21:57.
Old 21st December 2011, 22:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Its incredible to read about this gentleman.His choice was perhaps guided by the fact that a moped that could phase out the Rajdoot bikes in rural India could have some inherent qualities, topped by its toughness!
In the 1990's, the Rajdoots were giving way to m80's in rural India. The rural folks were not much impressed with the Indo-Jap 100 cc bikes then.The m80 hence was the most suited.
And now the m 80 has reached new heights many years after its hey-days!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Brilliant! Thanks for posting this link.
But to do Chennai to Leh on an M80, this guy is amazing! Good to see the journey become the focus, that's it's possible irrespective of the bike brand, usually it's about which bike, which riding gear brand, along with which riding club, etc.
Exactly!! Sometimes the focus on riding gear/ which bike etc is so much that one tends to feel that, more than the safety and the riding experience, it has become a way of being noticed and talked about.

cheers
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:05   #9
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2011 at 14:07.
iron is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would be very happy if one gentleman here, who said he knows mr. gokulram personally, persuade him to join TBHP We can hear/read his experiences first hand and probably have him our future trips or trip with him.
Old 24th December 2011, 00:49   #11
BHPian

During my ride to Ladakh in 2009, I had met a biker from Pune who was there on a Bajaj Boxer 100 cc bike. And doing this trip on an M-80 is incredible!

Hats off to these guys. It is not the machine you own, but your passion for riding that makes you a biker.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:15   #12
BHPian

" Hats off Gokulram "

If I was Bajaj, I would want to make a fuss of this man's adventure and squeeze some publicity out of it. " Bajaj M80 - To the peaks " or something like that.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks